Motoring Discussion > Sir Jack Brabham RIP Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FocalPoint Replies: 14

Sir Jack Brabham RIP - FocalPoint
Brabham died today aged 88. Most of you will know of his illustrious history as a driver, designer and constructor of racing cars.

I had a Vauxhall Viva with a Brabham conversion as my second car. It had stickers/stripes and twin carbs. Oh dear - what an admission! But it was great fun to drive; nowadays the equivalent would be well beyond my means to insure.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Mon 19 May 14 at 08:37
 Sir Jack Brabham RIP - Dog
>>I had a Vauxhall Viva with a Brabham conversion as my second car. It had stickers/stripes and twin carbs

You sound like an okay sort of geezer FP.

Just saying.

:-)
 Sir Jack Brabham RIP - commerdriver
A sad loss, one of the real stars of 60s formula 1, a very different era from today.
"You sound like an okay sort of geezer FP."

I am touched.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Mon 19 May 14 at 10:48
>>I am touched.

You said it.

:}

Erm, wasn't it Blydenstein who was the Vauxhall tuning guru?
"...wasn't it Blydenstein who was the Vauxhall tuning guru?"

The Blydenstein/Vauxhall association was 1969 - 1981, involving souped-up Vivas, Firenzas (I had one of those - unmodified) and Chevettes (ditto) in various competitions.

The Viva-Brabham thing was a parallel to the Mini-Cooper; a way of adding a bit of zip to an otherwise standard production road car. Not much tuning at all, really. Twin carbs, modified inlet manifold, noisy exhaust - that was it, really. Oh, and the stickers!

Here you go:

www.flickr.com/photos/dabofthebrake/5765460666/

Mine was white - I think they all were.
Nice one FP, I wouldn't say no to one today actually - complete with wing mirrors!
 Sir Jack Brabham RIP - Armel Coussine
There was a Brabham Herald. The engine was a Coventry Climax screamer of only 1,100cc and the swing-axle rear end was partially tamed... but it was very, very expensive.
 Sir Jack Brabham RIP - J Bonington Jagworth
"Brabham Herald"

Gosh - never knew about that. The Vitesse was quite nice, though, as long as you didn't try too hard round corners. Lovely sound, too.
 Sir Jack Brabham RIP - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> Mine was white - I think they all were.
>>

There used to be one parked in my manor back in the late sixties. My memory might be playing tricks but I'm sure it was red. Lovely body shape on the Mk 2 Viva, suited a tuned lump under the hood.
 Sir Jack Brabham RIP - Robin O'Reliant
....with a matt black bonnet.
 Sir Jack Brabham RIP - Fullchat
I always thought, and still do, the GT as tasty.
 Sir Jack Brabham RIP - Armel Coussine
Jack Brabham's obituary in the comic today brought back a flood of memories and half-forgotten names. Ron Tauranac, Dan Gurney, Weslake, Repco, Denny Hulme...

He wasn't always lucky as a racer. I was watching on live monochrome TV in 1970 when he stuffed it while in the lead at the final corner, more or less, in Monaco. I also remember his heroic pushing of his car for something like 300 yards when it ran out of petrol, to claim 4th place.
 Sir Jack Brabham RIP - Focusless
>> I also remember his heroic pushing of his car for something like
>> 300 yards when it ran out of petrol, to claim 4th place.

Sebring 1959? www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FXgBbxsE6Q (1:23)
 Sir Jack Brabham RIP - J Bonington Jagworth
When JB was 40 (and even I was quite young) he turned up for a race with whiskers and a walking stick to emphasize his advancing years. He still won.
Latest Forum Posts