Motoring Discussion > Urgent advice needed. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 148

Urgent advice needed. - Pat
As you've probably seen, our Fiesta is for sale.

It has been advertised in Autotrader all week and we've had the usual texts and calls from the firms who prey on the publication and have ignored them.

This afternoon I had a call from a foreign gentleman in Bedford. He asked a lot of questions saying his mate had texted our phone number to him and he hadn't seen the ad himself.

He wanted to agree a price before he arranged to come and see the car as he hadn't got any transport, and I refused to do that and said if he changed his mind to call me back.

He called back within 15 minutes saying his mate would bring him over at 7pm tonight and he wants to pay cash.

I've googled car buying scams and the only thing I can find is they can insist on doing a deal on a Friday night and then break into the house over the weekend presuming you can't bank the money.

What would you do?

Pat

Edit to add: He wanted to come earlier but I said I wouldn't be at home as Ian will be home by 6PM
And again: I've asked him to bring his driving licence as proof of ID which he was quite happy to do.
Last edited by: Pat on Fri 4 Apr 14 at 16:56
 Urgent advice needed. - NortonES2
Tell him it's been sold.
OK, I get your drift but why?

If we were buyers we'd be looking to buy a car after work on a Friday night ...and probably paying cash too.

Pat
 Urgent advice needed. - Armel Coussine
>> Tell him it's been sold.

Why? His driving licence, his mate's car's registration number, cash deal... what's the problem?

It's got to be a pretty nice Fiesta to be worth more than a couple of thousand quid. Is there a lot of forged currency about? What sort of robber is going to risk jail for something like that?

No doubt Pat has a burly neighbour or two to keep an eye on her and the foreign gentleman while they haggle. And actually she says she's pretty burly herself.

:o}

Urgent advice needed. - Westpig
There used to be a well used one, where they'd go out for a test drive and at some point say there's a noise or something, so you get out to check...and off they drive in your car, leaving you at the roadside.

Couple of weeks back I sold my sister's old truck (Kia Sorento). Nigerian man from Luton rang me a couple of times..and if I'm honest my guard was up.

He came down and bought it. Beat me down in price, but I'd factored that in anyway.

I think you're right to be cautious, but not everyone is a crook.
He's coming from Bedford:)
...and had that accent too!

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Fri 4 Apr 14 at 17:10
 Urgent advice needed. - Alanovich
Are you worried because he's foreign?

So far as I'm aware you can bank money on Saturday mornings.

If you're selling privately, there's some risk to take. I'd not be too worried about this. But I'd certainly wait for your partner. I would with any prospective purchaser.
We can bank it tomorrow morning and Ian is on his way home now Alanovic, thanks for the advice.

Pat
You must feel something isn't right, or you wouldn't be asking. If you feel uneasy about the buyer, trust your instincts. Get Ian home well before their ETA if possible.
Last edited by: NortonES2 on Fri 4 Apr 14 at 17:20
I don't actually feel uneasy about the buyer...he wasn't fazed at all when I asked him to bring ID with him.

I do feel uneasy about them knowing we have over £6000 in the house over night, and I do hope the notes are good when deposited at the bank tomorrow.

Pat
Yes, I see the worry about accepting fake notes. Other than the ID thing (photo ID with address) there's not much you can do in mitigation against that though, apart from insist they come in the morning and you bank the money with them present at the branch. Trouble is if they've got funny money, then the ID is likely to be similarly humorous.

I accepted a similar amount in cash one evening for a SEAT Ibiza some years ago, just trusted all would be well and it was. Odds are in your favour that there won't be a problem, suppose it depends on your appetite for risk.
 Urgent advice needed. - Mapmaker
>>and I do hope the notes are good when deposited at the bank tomorrow.

That is the big problem. I would only agree to do a transaction like this during the opening hours of a bank, transaction to be undertaken in the bank.

I sold my old Vectra on eBay to a chap who presumably didn't speak one word of English. He turned up with his £250 with his address written on a piece of paper so I could copy it onto the V5, didn't test or even look at the car, didn't do it at the address the car was registered to, and I walked off before he started the engine.

I also once took £500 off a bloke in a tube station for a pair of framed prints I'd sold on eBay.
>> over £6000 in the house over night

Guh... it obviously is a nice Fiesta, sorry Pat, er...

It is perhaps a good idea to put the bloke off until Himself gets home. Or see if he'll agree to Saturday morning in time to bung the stuff in the bank.

Even so, as Westpig tooth-suckingly admits, 'not everyone is a crook'. Surprisingly few people are in my experience.
 Urgent advice needed. - No FM2R
>> do feel uneasy about them knowing we have over £6000 in the house over night

When the deal is done, but BEFORE the buyer leaves, you say goodbye to Ian saying very loudly "I'm going to take that money over to Dave's and leave it in his safe now Ian, see you later" - get in the Volvo and drive off.

Come back when Ian tells you the coast is clear, or if you do bumpy into the buyer just say loudly to Ian "I promised Dave we'd go and get the money back at lunchtime tomorrow".

Personally I wouldn't worry, but that should keep you safe and unworried.
That is a brilliant idea and will at least ensure I get some sleep tonight as today started at 2.30am!

Pat
>>Surprisingly few people are in my experience.

Very much agreed.

But you don't *know*, so deal with your worry not try to guess what the buyer is like. There's a reason why people like and trust conmen, and its not because they are obnoxious and obviously crooked.
 Urgent advice needed. - R.P.
I sold my X1 for cash. £15k in Scottish flippin' fifties was the last thing I needed on a Sunday..
 Urgent advice needed. - RattleandSmoke
I am too a little bit suspicious. I would at least insist that he comes with you to the bank so that he can pay the money in.

My experience in buying cars is that nobody talks about money before they even see the car, see the car and then sort out the finances.

They are asking too many questions about the money and not enough about the car.
 Urgent advice needed. - Fenlander
Quite taken aback given your worldly background this would worry you Pat... or that an accented person from Bedford would put you on alert any more than a gruff Fen person.

However agree having company with you at the time of the deal is good and be alert to all the usual driving off scams or the attempted substitution of a bank draft for the cash etc etc.

As to checking the notes the best guide is from the Bank of England...

www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/documents/kyb_lo_res.pdf

You can just look at a few at random. I always buy and sell cars etc with cash and would be surprised at any buyer/seller who baulked at this.
>> or that an accented person from Bedford would put you on alert any more than a gruff Fen person.
<<

I would have worried far more about that....you never know if they live in a house or a caravan round here!

Ian is home now so that's a relief anyway and we're going with the Dave's safe suggestion too:)

Pat
 Urgent advice needed. - J Bonington Jagworth
Fingers crossed, Pat! I don't really have any more useful advice, although if the bank grumble about the cash, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it - they're just edgy about large sums (because of possible laundering and/or tax avoidance). A builder friend of mine gets earache with deposits over £500!
Also this is a Fiesta not some rare car, I am not sure why somebody would want to travel so far to view it unless there is something very special about the car? At the same time I can understand you want to sell it.
 Urgent advice needed. - Skip
>> Also this is a Fiesta not some rare car, I am not sure why somebody
>> would want to travel so far to view it unless there is something very special
>> about the car? At the same time I can understand you want to sell it.
>>

That's part of what seems a bit odd to me Rattle
Last edited by: Skip on Fri 4 Apr 14 at 18:00
 Urgent advice needed. - Mapmaker
>>Also this is a Fiesta not some rare car, I am not sure why somebody would want to travel so >>far to view it unless there is something very special about the car?

Really? Maybe the price is right and the car is needed now. Whilst there may be x,000 Fiestas on Autotrader at the moment, he's not actually coming very far.

Price agreed first is quite possibly because of the barter inclinations of whichever foreign region he's from. Don't forget to an Anglo-Saxon all this is very foreign and 'not how we do things'.
 Urgent advice needed. - Skip
Perhaps I am just Mr suspicious but something doesn't sound quite right to me, but I can't really tell you what.
>>>Also this is a Fiesta not some rare car, I am not sure why somebody would want to travel so far to view it unless there is something very special about the car?

More rare than you might think. I live halfway between Pat and the potential buyer and if I was looking for a private sale Fiesta diesel between £5k & £7k with under 70k recorded and manual transmission there are just 5 within a 50ml radius of me and if you wanted a 1.6 in particular there are just 3.... and Pat's is the nicest colour.
 Urgent advice needed. - Mike H
Pat, you're right to be cautious, but there's a lot of scaremongering going on here. He needs a car, he has the cash, he has id, and is coming over when his mate is available to bring him. The odds are on it being legit, let's face it. How else is he going to do the deal if he needs a car asap? Paying by cheque involves two trips and a clearance delay, a bank cheque needs the same precautions etc. Back in the old days no-one would have batted an eyelid. I've taken the train to London before with a couple of grand in my inside pocket. Take the commonsense precautions that people have outlined and it will no doubt turn out absolutely fine.
I hesitated to post my fears on here, but the advice is always excellent and a true cross section too.

Pat
Sucking eggs....make sure you hang on to the seller's portion of the V5....and post it yourself.
 Urgent advice needed. - Clk Sec
For me any cash deal of £1000 or more with a complete stranger would be transacted in my local bank, or not at all.

Anyway, good luck.
I've sold bikes and cars from 15000 to less than a grand, all for cash apart from my 3 Series that was a bank transfer 3 days before the guy picked it up. Lots of this is based on trust and sensible precautions...all of these have been complete strangers. Nothing has ever gone wrong.
Just had a text to say he will be here soon...so at least I have his phone number now on my mobile.

Pat
Pat,

You cannot possibly judge the bloke like this. And it could be a PAYG phone etc. etc.

Just take the obvious precautions, don't see the guy as either a saint or the devil and you'll be just fine.
You forget Mark, my roots are in Leicester so I have a certain affinity with..... no I mustn't say that!

I'm starving, we should have dinner an hour ago.

Pat
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 19 May 14 at 01:32
 Urgent advice needed. - Stuu
I dont think you have anything specific to worry about Pat, worth investing in money checking tech though, I did some years ago and it gives an extra level of reassurance when handling cash.

I am not sure how you can tell someone is 'foreign' over the phone though :-/
 Urgent advice needed. - Aretas
Hope the transaction went well.

A few months ago my daughter sold her car this way. A Polish chap came on the train all the way from Scotland to Suffolk, on a Saturday, and after a little bartering handed over a large amount of cash.
 Urgent advice needed. - Dave_
Having previously lived and worked in Bedford for a decade, I would say there's nothing wildly unusual about the buyer's behaviour so far. Who knows, he may even be one of my former customers or colleagues!

I had similar interest specifically from Bedford residents when advertising the kitchen appliances in Dad's house, and had no problems when the buyers turned up. Certainly Pat & Ian should take all usual precautions, but just engage him in a bit of conversation, don't allow him to invade your personal space and enjoy finding a buyer for the Fiesta.
 Urgent advice needed. - sherlock47
There is a lot of advice on here about transacting in a local bank - but what guarantees does that give you, other than putting the wind up the purchaser. I recall a friend who paid cash into a local bank who had some ntes RETROSPECTIVELY identified as forgeries. Who was to say the notes concerned were the ones he had paid in?

have the rules or process changed?
>> There is a lot of advice on here about transacting in a local bank -
>> but what guarantees does that give you, other than putting the wind up the purchaser.

I don't see why that would put the wind up any genuine buyer.
>I don't see why that would put the wind up any genuine buyer.<

No - but it would for anybody who knowingly had forged notes.

It MAY even safeguard against someone with some unknown iffy notes.

But the major question is whether the bank can retrospectively refuse some notes!
>> But the major question is whether the bank can retrospectively refuse some notes!
>>

I really don't know, but I doubt that they could do much about it once they had accepted the money.
The problem is that if you hand over the note and they even 'think' it may be hooky, they will not (by law) return it. It can then be sent off for 'evaluation'. If the money was given even in good faith by a buyer do you then refuse to hand over the V5 to the 20stone ex doorman/enforcer who is standing next to you?
>> The problem is that if you hand over the note and they even 'think' it
>> may be hooky, they will not (by law) return it. It can then be sent
>> off for 'evaluation'. If the money was given even in good faith by a buyer
>> do you then refuse to hand over the V5 to the 20stone ex doorman/enforcer who
>> is standing next to you?
>>

I would consider that the car was not sold until the money was accepted by the bank, after which the V5 would be handed over. However, I do accept that your 20 stone ex dorman type buyer might have other ideas.
>> I do accept that your 20 stone ex dorman type buyer might have other ideas.

Er... there are some very evil and frightening small people, and a lot of gentle, peaceable and intelligent large ones.

Tsk. Sizeism...
Small / weak / minority people who are evil have normally, because of their size, learned to hide it.

Large / strong / majority people who are evil have normally learned to be themselves and not worry about it.

The nastiest people I have ever known have been little.

Urgent advice needed. - Fullchat
That has been my experience too.
 Urgent advice needed. - Zero
>> Small / weak / minority people who are evil have normally, because of their size,
>> learned to hide it.

Nah, invariably they are outwardly nasty and obnoxious - thats what small man syndrome is all about.

>> Large / strong / majority people who are evil have normally learned to be themselves
>> and not worry about it.
>>
>> The nastiest people I have ever known have been little.

everytime, loads of pleasant gentle giants, very few pleasant gentle midgets,
I only really know one very small person, he is the most cocky and arrogant person I know. He is very good at his job though.
I think it can be no coincidence how often large pickup trucks, rottweilers, excessive body-building, and short men go together.
 Urgent advice needed. - Robin O'Reliant
>> I think it can be no coincidence how often large pickup trucks, rottweilers, excessive body-building, and short men go together.
>>

And ever noticed how they throw a strop when you lean your elbow on their head? Definitely an attitude problem.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Sat 5 Apr 14 at 19:46
Even the women! one of them deliberately shook her head so that my pint fell on the floor.
 Urgent advice needed. - MD
>> I think it can be no coincidence how often large pickup trucks, rottweilers, excessive body-building,
>> and short men go together.
>>
Don't forget the Tattoos
 Urgent advice needed. - Crankcase
>> Nah, invariably they are outwardly nasty and obnoxious - thats what small man syndrome is
>> all about.

There's an exception to every rule of course. Here's a small man being amusing about his kitchen. Seems a genuine kind of chap rather than a monster. I appreciate the other two people in the piece are not to everyone's taste of course.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaxft8-LK88

>> don't allow him to invade your personal space

Just as most people aren't crooks, so most people wouldn't dream of invading your personal space and are surprisingly delicate in these matters.

However there is a complex emotional nexus, if that's the word, in a private car sale as often as not. The seller is divesting himself of an old friend perhaps and feels guilty without admitting it. All those memories, terminated abruptly in a crude cash transaction with a total stranger... you have to be grown-up to bear it without wanting to blame someone.
It's only a cooking, bog standard little car! Now, a largish motorbike relinquished due to lack of readies is painful, especially when it's still being ridden around 40 years later. 1966 Norton if you must know. Not some tinny box:)
 Urgent advice needed. - bathtub tom
Pat

I'm in Bedford (but talk with a Luton accent). I've emailed my 'phone number if you want me to check his address or help in any other way.
 Urgent advice needed. - MD
>> I've sold bikes and cars from 15000 to less than a grand, all for cash
>> apart from my 3 Series that was a bank transfer 3 days before the guy
>> picked it up. Lots of this is based on trust and sensible precautions...all of these
>> have been complete strangers. Nothing has ever gone wrong.
>>
You GIT. I was after one in Grey:)
 Urgent advice needed. - Haywain
Pat is now keeping shtum because the deal has been done and she has a house full of readies, and she isn't going to admit it on here.
Very astute Haywain:)

Thanks for all the advice on here, it was very much appreciated and very, very useful too.

It sold after a test drive and a bit of haggling for £6250 which was acceptable to us both, considering we had seriously considered selling it back to the local Ford dealer who we bought it from and taking a lot lower figure, simply to avoid the pitfalls and scams.

BT, thanks for the phone number, you have email!

They turned up at 7.30 and were uncle and nephew. Uncle has a small repair garage in Bedford and it was nephews first 'expensive car. Nephew had saved £4000 and Uncle was loaning the remainder.

Nephew and Ian went for a test drive and Uncle told me he was worried we would be 'p****s', in his words, and was lecturing his nephew all the way here that if we were they were walking away!
That led to a great discussion about prejudice in general and he was telling me about the way some people treat him when he tells them he is a Muslim. I just found them both very respectful, polite and charming as we all sat around the table counting the money out and at this point I apologised for leaving them with Ian and explained I had to pop to 'Dave's' in the next village as he had agreed to let us put the money in his safe overnight and he was waiting to go out!!!

Ian dealt with the paperwork and rang me as soon as they had gone. They were happy to sign the downloaded and printed 'car buyers contract' available at the AA website and in fact asked him if we had anything like that.

All we need now is to keep our fingers crossed at 10am this morning when we will be knocking on Santander's door!

I will report the result later, and if anyone is wondering it lived in the salad drawer of the fridge overnight with onions, parsnips and carrots. I'm really not paranoid, just can't afford to lose it:)

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Sat 5 Apr 14 at 06:05
Glad it all seems to have gone well.

I assume the caravan's kept somewhere else?

Money may have been safer with the bacon!
I had a lot of professional contact with Muslims in the latter part of my career from all classes - I found in general that they were people like us with the same fears/threats and prejudices (the ones I knew were from the local Mosque and mainly Bengali in origin) my current "best friend" in work is Bengali although visibly ethnic he's from a Catholic background. Never judge a book by its cover..

Glad the sale went well.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 5 Apr 14 at 09:05
 Urgent advice needed. - swiss tony
>>I found in general that they were people like us with the same fears/threats and prejudices

We should think of people as pandas....

after all, they are a mix of black, white, and asian... And are liked by all.
Last edited by: swiss tony on Sat 5 Apr 14 at 10:18
 Urgent advice needed. - borasport
Glad to hear it went OK, Pat
Sounds like a win-win
You were right to make your original post, but some of the responses would make you paranoid!
Glad it went well Pat. Quick sale at fair price to both buyer and seller... plus seemingly a friendly experience. That's just how it was when I bought my Alfa privately in a local village and in truth how I try and make all my deals. I'm not into one party trying to "win" at the expense of the other.
 Urgent advice needed. - Duncan
>> All we need now is to keep our fingers crossed at 10am this morning when
>> we will be knocking on Santander's door!

And it all seemed to be going so well, until you mentioned the name Santander!
Every silver lining has a cloud.
 Urgent advice needed. - Meldrew
Santander are fine UNTIL you have a complaint! I have saved/made over £300 in the last 12 months using their 1/2/3 accounts for my transactions.
Santander said yes, everything was fine!

.....but the notes seemed rather cold?

Pat
Someone must have frozen your account ! :-)
 Urgent advice needed. - Runfer D'Hills
I'm sure they were cool with that.
£6300 and twenty peas..?
My first job was as a bank cashier back in the 70s when controls on money/fraud were far more relaxed.

There was a slightly untidy 50-60yr old lady who came in most months and paid in cash pulled from her handbag which felt damp and had an earthy smell....and the amounts were enough to buy a new car most times.

Also many notes were legal to pay into the bank but older than in general circulation.

We always wondered about her.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 5 Apr 14 at 12:18
>>
>> We always wondered about her.
>>

She wasn't a Mrs Biggs, by any chance?
Don't remember but something along those lines was always laughed about between us after her visit.

They never caught the driver hired for the great train robbery - I wonder if he was married?
>> They never caught the driver hired for the great train robbery - I wonder if
>> he was married?
>>

I don't think he got much, particularly as it turned out he couldn't actually start the train hence they had to force the legit driver Mills to drive it.
>> he couldn't actually start the train

According to the recent televised drama (I don't know factual it was) the reason for that was a vacuum hose incorrectly fitted after they uncoupled the rest of the train.
>>
>> According to the recent televised drama (I don't know factual it was) the reason for
>> that was a vacuum hose incorrectly fitted after they uncoupled the rest of the train.
>>

I think they took a bit of artistic licence there. From what I understand the driver they recruited had only ever driven shunters before and never a main line loco.
>> it lived in the salad drawer of the fridge overnight with onions, parsnips and carrots.

No salad in there then (lorry driver's fridge)?
So pleased it all worked out so well :).
Same here...
Of course, of course, but we still have to hope that everything was OK at Santander, not too many dodgy fifties in the wodge...

... and that neither of them went ape and punted the lot on a bad horse in the Grand National.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 5 Apr 14 at 18:21
Pat will tell us now she has blown it all on the grand national :p
No chance of that, can't you tell neither of us are gamblers from the hesitation of risking the above sale?

We did expect to get questioned at Santander but all they asked was 'Is this from another banks'?, to which we replied, 'No, the sale of a car'.

They had no problem with that but did check every note and it was all twenty pound notes so the queue got longer and the sighs got louder behind us.

Now, the car4play task for the summer is to find a banger before November 1st.

Budget £500, Must have full MOT and start at 2.30am on a frosty or foggy morning:)

Pat
 Urgent advice needed. - Roger.
>> Now, the car4play task for the summer is to find a banger before November 1st.
>>
>> Budget £500, Must have full MOT and start at 2.30am on a frosty or foggy
>> morning:)
>>
>> Pat

Oh, what a can or worms you have just opened there, Pat!
Damn! I flogged my Kia Pride a year ago.
 Urgent advice needed. - Dulwich Estate
Budget £500, Must have full MOT and start at 2.30am on a frosty or foggy

You want a late 1990s Peugeot 306 1.9 Diesel. Quite a few in that price range. They don't rot and go on forever.
>>
>> You want a late 1990s Peugeot 306 1.9 Diesel. Quite a few in that price
>> range. They don't rot and go on forever.
>>

The driving experience is vile. I had use of one and loathed the heap.
 Urgent advice needed. - Manatee
>> >>
>> >> You want a late 1990s Peugeot 306 1.9 Diesel. Quite a few in that
>> price
>> >> range. They don't rot and go on forever.
>> >>
>>
>> The driving experience is vile. I had use of one and loathed the heap.

I had one as a hire car in about 1996! I can even remember the letters from the reg - my Saab that was in dock for a while waiting for a brake part was a KAT, and the Peugeot was an OWL :)

It was a turbo diesel -was there a NA version? The turbo diesel went very well and the only thing I disliked about it was the terrible engine drone.
 Urgent advice needed. - ....
>> Now, the car4play task for the summer is to find a banger before November 1st.
>>
>> Budget £500, Must have full MOT and start at 2.30am on a frosty or foggy
>>
>> Pat
>>
A set of heated grips for Bertha and some old newspapers stuffed down the front of Ian's jacket to keep the cold out. If you REALLY want to push the boat out get him a pair of Reusch winter gloves.

You don't really get ice and snow in the winter in the UK anyway. Winter tyres are not a legal requirement so the winters can't be THAT bad ;-)
He's already got the heated grips gmac but usually manages to forget to switch them off and can be seen wandering around the yard in the evening begging for a push......!

Pat
 Urgent advice needed. - Avant
Obviously you'll go on condition rather than make or model, but it's still fun for us to suggest thing and see what you end up with.

For my money it would be a Yaris, Corolla or Avensis: nothing soldiers on quite like an old Toyota - with the possible exception of an old Volvo. But Volvos of just about any age in reasonable condition would go for more than £500.

I'd imagine that for 2.30 am starts a diesel is out, unless your home is stately enough not to have near neighbours....
Last edited by: Avant on Sun 6 Apr 14 at 16:37
Well, car4play certainly came up trumps yesterday!

Within a couple of hours of making that post we are the proud owners of a second car!

It was bought from a forum member and we didn't leave the house, so who and what is it? :)

Pat

Urgent advice needed. - Duncan
Please tell us that it isn't Zero's Polo?
Fenlander's Alfa 156.
No....and no:)

Pat
Something from MM or CP?
 Urgent advice needed. - ToMoCo
The MG posted by Mark
RP's Fiesta
More like RIP Fiesta...
Oh dear, another V50 parking incident?
Still runs fine...MoT coming up. There is a problem which may be beyond economic repair. I have a sniff of a two owner Y plate Focus. The plan is that that may replace the Fiesta - we sell the V50 and my wife's brother is thinking of changing his Z4.......which may replace the V50....
>we sell the V50

But what will you do with all the cardigans ? Oh wait, scrub that, it's ok I've just remembered, you have another Volvo anyway...

;-)
Black Polo necks for that one...
Thought that was Saab Turbos? Volvos definitely need Polyveldts and cardigans. National Trust stickers and a 'Dogs are for life not just Christmas' sign. Oh and a stylised chrome fish on the tailgate naturally. Travelling rug optional but recommended, and in extreme cases, two cushions and a straw hat on the parcel shelf.

Have you ever thought of taking up a pipe? That would work.

;-))
 Urgent advice needed. - Gromit
"Thought that was Saab Turbos"

Used to be, but now Saab are no more, Volvos V-wotsits seem to be filling their shoes...
You'd still have to be an architect though.
There's an architect up my street. Drives a grey Merc E Class estate. The other one I know (old friend) drives on of these:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Element

Flew it here when he moved back to the UK from the US a couple of years ago. About to go back in the other direction and take it back with him.
>>>Fenlander's Alfa 156.

It's funny you should have guessed that as it was only fear of the usual anti Alfa (reliability wise) ribbing that stopped me posting yesterday that if Pat put £200 on top of her budget she could have it as soon as I find an estate 156/159 to replace it... and I'm looking every day now.

It still has been totally reliable to date, every single thing works (inc heated seats), starts instantly hot/cold, goes like a dream and returns 50mpg +/- depending on how you drive. MOT to mid Dec, taxed to the autumn and serviced to date with a years life left in the tyres and new discs/pads all round. My problem at the moment is that better looking, newer and more expensive estates seemingly are in worse condition mechanically often with a few niggly things not working.
For £500? Rattle's Panda.

;-)
 Urgent advice needed. - Paul Robinson
Is it the Focus that Westpig mentioned?
You're all way out yet!

Clue time: Bought sight unseen and not collecting until end of June.

Pat
Iffy's Focus ?
I've not heard a thing from Iffy since way before he last looked in on this forum a couple of years ago.

Pat
Whatever Legacylad buys?
 Urgent advice needed. - BobbyG
Its not the car that someone was looking for a visitor for 3 months??
The unseen auction car for girlfriend's daughter?
Top marks to BobbyG for thinking outside of the box.......but you're wrong!

Pat
One of Stu's Protons or what ever he is driving this week?

>>>One of Stu's Protons or what ever he is driving this week?

That was a fear that crossed my mind.
Well I guess a Sao Penza should at least be reliable!
Could it be Robin Reliant's old Reliant Robin?
 Urgent advice needed. - PeterS
>>
>> Clue time: Bought sight unseen and not collecting until end of June.
>>
>> Pat
>>

I was hoping you'd take the A8 a bit sooner than that Pat ;-)
 Urgent advice needed. - madf
A horse.
Much as I'd like to Peter.....;)

Pat
Ted's somethingorother. 308 was it?
Not even warm:)

Pat
Here it is.

i100.photobucket.com/albums/m34/Veeeight/cid_inlineImage4.jpg

Pat
Looks clean and tidy - are you going to give us the details now?
I'll leave that to the vendor....

Pat
Is that very tidy little cooking Fiesta Pat's new 500 quid banger, or is it the 6 grand Fiesta she has just sold? It's certainly what dealers call 'very clean sir' but it doesn't look like 6 grand's worth to me... but what do I know?
It's the banger AC, and I'm sure the seller will reveal himself soon:)

Pat
I wouldn't bet on it, you've just referred to his ex pride and joy as a banger...
;)
No rust, not mine.
I think his every day drive is a bit better than that;)

Pat
Front alloy has a ding in it. Woman's car clearly. Been kerbed that.

;-)
>> Front alloy has a ding in it. Woman's car clearly. Been kerbed that.

Good spot that Humph...such a good spot, I had to go out to the driveway and look, because I didn't remember seeing it. Luckily for me, it's a trick of the camera...because it's the balancing weight, not a dink.

So, the lady needed a cheap car...and

...accepted:

2002 Ford Fiesta 1.2 Freestyle 3 door 94202 miles; 1st registered 07/02/2002; brand new MOT, decent service history and just been serviced (inc new front discs and pads).

4 really good tyres, car exceptionally clean and tidy inside and out, 2 previous owners (3 in total), current owner on V5 has owned it for 6 years and the previous one had it for 4 years.

5 speed manual gearbox; alloy wheels with locking nuts (in really good condition); front electric windows; air conditioning; radio/CD player; front fog lights; front mud flaps; rear windows open for ventilation; power steering.

Not the £500 as per the budget, but IMO worth what they paid.

Shall I change my moniker to 'Arthur Daley'?
Thought you had a Mondeo estate?
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 8 Apr 14 at 18:18
>> Thought you had a Mondeo estate?
>>
Like a cheap pair of white stilettos, that have seen better days.

Your comment that is, not the car.
18 minutes though... Slacking !

;-)
Bought a 2002 one for No1 daughter 7 years ago. It's given amazing service and despite now having the resources to buy a brand new one if she wanted, she is very happy to continue as she is!
We paid £850 just in case anyone is wondering!

We're are extremely happy with that knowing we haven't got to run around locally with the limited time and knowledge we have, to find one.

As an added bonus we can collect it in June when we're coming home from our holiday in Cornwall.

I changed the insurance over to this one and found it was cheaper to do this than cancel it now (M&S Insurance) and pay their £50 cancellation fee.
The original policy was £198 and this one is £140 so we also get £10 refund!

Pat
 Fiesta Update. - Pat
We've been delighted with the Fiesta.

In summer it will stand for up to a month before we think of giving it a run and in the winter it's used by Ian for work daily, in all the worst weather.

It always starts first time even after standing for a fortnight over Christmas in very frosty weather.

Just taken it for it's first MOT with us and it sailed through with no advisories whatsoever.

It has had nothing whatsoever done to it since collecting it from WP and we just might treat it to a service before next winter:)

Pat
 Fiesta Update. - Westpig
>> We've been delighted with the Fiesta.
>>
>> It has had nothing whatsoever done to it since collecting it from WP and we
>> just might treat it to a service before next winter:)

Glad it's been o.k.

There is a certain amount of trepidation selling to people you know as mechanical things can be mechanical things.
 Urgent advice needed. - WillDeBeest
I don't think Humph intended any disrespect, WP. On the contrary, I think his point is that all the cheesy, God-is-an-Englishman trimmings don't diminish its essential, honest Mondeosity. And 'Mondeo', from Humph is high praise.
};---)
Oh while I appreciate your concern WDB, let us not labour under any delusion that I did not intend disrespect.

;-)
 Urgent advice needed. - WillDeBeest
Oh I see - I thought that was my job.
Don't get me wrong, I like X type estates, I have a Barbour jacket somewhere and everything. But y'know... It's too good an opportunity to miss sometimes !

;-)
I'm getting it in stereo now
Latest Forum Posts