Motoring Discussion > Car transporters Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 16

Car transporters - bathtub tom
Saw a rigid lorry, car transporter towing a double deck trailer today. The only vehicles were (2) on the top, elevated deck of the trailer.

The lorry had the capability of carrying two or more vehicles on both decks, the trailer seemed to have the same capability.

I thought the top deck of both vehicles had the ability to be lowered, such that if the height of the carried vehicles was too much for the lower deck they could be carried on the upper deck lowered, so their weight was low down.

The combination of an empty lorry and a trailer with a couple of vehicles on its raised upper deck looked very unstable to me.

Any comments from the professionals?
 Car transporters - Pat
Yes, I wouldn't want to drive it like that!

Pat
 Car transporters - Videodoctor
Prehaps he had just dropped off all the other cars and was on his way to drop off the last two when you saw him?
 Car transporters - Manatee
I think the implied question was why the upper deck was not in the lower position?
 Car transporters - Pat
The first rule of loading anything is to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible.

Pat
 Car transporters - BobbyG
While he was parked up someone skillfully, with the use of a fork lift truck, lifted the bottom cars out and stole them?
 Car transporters - Old Navy
>> While he was parked up someone skillfully, with the use of a fork lift truck,
>> lifted the bottom cars out and stole them?
>>

I don't think it was in Glasgow.
 Car transporters - Pat
I used to have to give the local 6 year old scally 10p to 'mind my lorry' in Glasgow while I was at the back tipping!

I was warned never to refuse....

Pat
Did the same with my car when at the Barras many years ago. Refuse at your peril.
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Tue 1 Apr 14 at 16:22
 Car transporters - neiltoo
- Look after yer car fer a quid mister?

- No thank you, I'm leaving my German Shepherd in it.

- Puts out fires, does it?
 Car transporters - Pat
You've both been there too?!

Pat
For the non locals the Barras is Barrowland Market in Glasgow.

www.glasgow-barrowland.com/
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Tue 1 Apr 14 at 17:13
 Car transporters - Westpig
>> to 'mind
>> my lorry' in Glasgow while I was at the back tipping!

Is that lorry driver speak for urinating?.... (or worse)
 Car transporters - Dave_
>> Is that lorry driver speak for...

Sadly not. It's simply one less syllable than "unloading" and is used universally in all areas of road transport, e.g. today I tipped a Bentley in Wandsworth then scooped an Aston Martin out of Gatwick.

To attempt to answer the original question, the reason the transporter was set up top-heavy was most likely driver laziness, or possibly the pressing need to get those last two cars delivered to a dealer before 5.00pm.

I don't drive a proper double-decker, I'm usually in a one-car covered 7.5 tonner. Sometimes I use a Citroen Relay beavertail with a trailer, and I'm just as likely to run with one car only on either the prime mover or the trailer depending on which one needed tipping first :)

Business has been manic throughout March (dealers have monthly targets to satisfy so it was just as busy on the 31st as on the 1st), and it isn't showing many signs of easing up just yet.
Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Tue 1 Apr 14 at 22:23
 Car transporters - BobbyG
Do you ever deliver up in Scotland Dave?
 Car transporters - Dave_
>> Do you ever deliver up in Scotland Dave?

The company has larger transporters than mine and they try to utilise all vehicle spaces in both directions, so I rarely venture north of the border in my single-car lorry. I make the trip half a dozen times a year at most, although they send 2-car transporters there weekly.

>> This was Mon 31/03/14 15:00 (ish), M1 northbound around J16.

Depends which company and what cars were on board. 3pm is getting on a bit if a driver's been out since the small hours.
Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Thu 3 Apr 14 at 20:05
 Car transporters - bathtub tom
>>To attempt to answer the original question, the reason the transporter was set up top-heavy was most likely driver laziness, or possibly the pressing need to get those last two cars delivered to a dealer before 5.00pm.

This was Mon 31/03/14 15:00 (ish), M1 northbound around J16.

Latest Forum Posts