Motoring Discussion > Dirty car this morning. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 37

Dirty car this morning. - Zero
Left home at 07:00 this am, had to put the windscreen washer and wipers on to clear a layer of muck from the screen.

This stuff

www.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast-video/26820393
 Dirty car this morning. - Robin O'Reliant
We got that too.
 Dirty car this morning. - Dave_
Yep, and here in Leicestershire.
Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Mon 31 Mar 14 at 20:53
 Dirty car this morning. - FocalPoint
Got it in Falmouth too.
 Dirty car this morning. - Bromptonaut
Yup. All over Enrico the older Berlingo when I nipped down to the village shop for a four pack t 17:30.
 Dirty car this morning. - Harleyman
And in Carmarthen. I'm glad I saw this, was going to have a moan at me neighbour cos I thought he'd been using a Stihl saw to cut bricks.
 Dirty car this morning. - Old Navy
None this far up, I will be in Leicestershire in a couple of days, I hope you have cleaned it all up by then.
 Dirty car this morning. - Lygonos
Similar in Stirling/Falkirk area - seen the Saharan dust effect before.
 Dirty car this morning. - Runfer D'Hills
Bit difficult to tell if mine was affected. It currently has a rather fetching arc of mud on each side curving neatly back from behind the front wheels and matching smaller ones from the rear wheels. The roof and bonnet are a bit dusty I'll grant but I couldn't swear that's a new addition.
>> I couldn't swear that's a new addition.

Lift up a wiper blade Humph, to see if a line of Saharan sand has settled on the glass overnight.
 Dirty car this morning. - Runfer D'Hills
That sounds a bit strenuous Dave.
 Dirty car this morning. - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Lift up a wiper blade Humph, to see if a line of Saharan sand has
>> settled on the glass overnight.
>>

I forced the garage doors open this morning after digging away the sand, and am happy to report there was no sand on the car. (west Wales)
 Dirty car this morning. - PhilW
" Leicestershire, I hope you have cleaned it all up by then."

You'll be lucky!
;-)
 Dirty car this morning. - Dog
>>Got it in Falmouth too.

In the Canines one minute, Quornwall the next - howl the other arf live hey!
Didn't realise you were the stalker.

Anyway, speak fer yerself.

(It'll be Amsterdam in a couple of weeks.)
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Mon 31 Mar 14 at 22:35
 Dirty car this morning. - Armel Coussine
We got some too, but a very thin dusting. In fact I half-thought it was some road dirt on the screen.

A few years ago there were a couple of days when it was really thick, instantly recognisable as Sahara dust from its specific pale buff colour. Cheered me up no end to see it all over the London cars. I like Sahara dust.
 Dirty car this morning. - Stuartli
It's been the same on the North West coast. At one time (some years ago) the cause was due to winds bringing in fine red sand from the Sahara Desert...:-)
 Dirty car this morning. - Stuartli
The answer..?:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2593311/Britain-covered-layer-dust-storms-carry-sand-Sahara-desert.html
Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 1 Apr 14 at 00:10
>>(It'll be Amsterdam in a couple of weeks.)

Say n'more squire.

;-)
>>(It'll be Amsterdam in a couple of weeks.)

Say n'more squire.

;-)

I thought you might enjoy that, you old devil.
>>I thought you might enjoy that, you old devil.

60 is the new 40 don't you know, and I have the body of a 30 year old (she goes home on Friday)

:o}
 Dirty car this morning. - Alanovich
My Mazda was in a long term car park (meet'n'greet service) at Gatwick all weekend, could barely see out of it when I collected it last night. I thought they'd driven it to Brighton beach and left it there for three days.
 Dirty car this morning. - Mike Hannon
We had a storm of this when we were on the Med coast a few weeks ago. I've often seen 'Sahara dust' in the UK but never anything like we had down there. The torrential rain only lasted about 10 minutes and looked very opaque. My friend (who lives there) said 'that'll clag up your car'. She was right - There was a layer of thickish mud all over it and blocking all its drains, etc. I had to even open the sunroof and clean out the seals. Next day we travelled from Menton (Italy end of Med coast) to Perpignan at the other end and saw the same mess most of the way. My friend says the problem is worse along the coast that faces Algeria but Morocco has the Atlas Mountains to keep some of the dust where it came from.
 Dirty car this morning. - Old Navy
It looks like the desert dust did make it to central Scotland. I was cleaning my windscreen prior to driving south tomorrow and found fine red sand in the plastic trough below the wiper blades. It only just made it, not seen it anywhere else, todays rain must have caused it to collect there.
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Tue 1 Apr 14 at 19:25
 Dirty car this morning. - NortonES2
It's the foot and mouth disease carried on Saharan sand (with other stuff) that might be more than a nuisance.
 Dirty car this morning. - bathtub tom
Found SWMBO using the tumble dryer in the garage this morning because she didn't want to hang the washing outside in all this smog and sand.

It took a little while for her to understand where the tumble dryer gets its air from!
I've been from Leicester to Kent and back via Central London today. The smog/haze was worst up here; it was sunny and 20°C on the M25 but by Leicester Forest East it was 10°C and the majority of drivers were using dipped headlights.

>> It took a little while for her to understand where the tumble dryer gets its
>> air from!

Inside the house where there is no sand?
 Dirty car this morning. - Ted

Been very clear here in Arcadia. NW news showed it very hazy in Liverpool...about 30miles....and the Isle of Man.

Car covered in white dust from a trip to Oxfordshire a couple of days ago.
 Dirty car this morning. - bathtub tom
>>Inside the house where there is no sand?

>>Found SWMBO using the tumble dryer IN THE GARAGE this morning

WE'LL GO FOR A WALK LATER, DO YOU WANT A BLANKET?
>> >>Inside the house where there is no sand?
>>
>> >>Found SWMBO using the tumble dryer IN THE GARAGE this morning
>>

IN THE GARAGE? WHERE THE SAND DIDNT FALL YOU MEAN? WHAT?
 Dirty car this morning. - Fursty Ferret
What's that? Sahara dust on your car, you say?!

i61.tinypic.com/ofpr1y.jpg

* Image shamelessly stolen from a friend at work.
 Dirty car this morning. - Mapmaker
>>* Image shamelessly stolen from a friend at work.

I'd forgotten what you do for a living for a moment... Lucky it's not like the ash cloud, isn't it!
 Dirty car this morning. - BobbyG
FF, do you buy your wiper blades from Ebay?????
 Dirty car this morning. - Alastairw
Looks like the washer bottle could do with a refill too.
 Dirty car this morning. - Fursty Ferret
Wiper blades still original 2CV style design and a bit useless. In their defense, they do have to work at 250 mph...

No windscreen wash, just highly toxic rain repellent. Squirting it on a dry windscreen then flicking the wipers on is likely to result in tears. My preferred technique for cleaning the windscreen is to lean out of the side window and scrub it with paper towels and a large bottle of water. Probably a health and safety nightmare, but only if I actually fall out, of course.
Try using half a potato next time Fur Fer, preferably a King Edward.
 Dirty car this morning. - borasport
Half a large King Eddy on a long toasting fork, clear all the crud off the window, stick it in the exhaust of one of your engines for a short while and you have what McCains would call a 'rustic oven chip', and possibly still tastier than the in-flight food ?
Latest Forum Posts