Motoring Discussion > Apple in your car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 14

Apple in your car - Crankcase
Apple's integration into cars is very near now - and it's been renamed "Carplay", interestingly.

Anyway, it's going to allow your iPhone to "talk" to your car in a seamless manner, allegedly, and lots of manufacturers have signed up, with more to come.

Probably start seeing this stuff in about a year in the States I guess, who knows about here.

news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57619795-94/apple-announces-carplay-to-bring-the-iphone-experience-to-your-next-cars-dashboard/

Apple in your car - Shiny
"Siri! Turn on my wipers."
- "I'm sorry, this feature only works in the USA"
- "Search results for turn down the radio"

Ugh!
 Apple in your car - Crankcase
I see the new Toyota Aygo, "unveiled" at the Geneva show in the last day or two, appears to have this feature -or at least they advertise it as "phone to touchscreen mirroring" so I assume it's this Apple link. So it might be closer than I thought, and in the UK to boot.

That will, I guess, mean the Citroen/Peugeot equivalents will have it too, and these are sub 10k cars.
 Apple in your car - IJWS14
I don't have an i-phone, or any other apple product - why would I want it?
 Apple in your car - Zero
to show you what you are missing.
 Apple in your car - BobbyG
No way would I buy any car whose inbuilt media system relied on you having an iphone!
 Apple in your car - Old Navy
I think the point that you are all missing is that this is yet another distraction from the task of driving the car. I believe that pilots have a saying similar to "When you are busy don't forget to fly the plane". It will soon (if it does not already) apply to cars.
 Apple in your car - WillDeBeest
Quite right, Unc. For every AC whose superior powers of concentration would allow him to sustain a phone conversation while driving a Bentley through Naples and simultaneously clipping his toenails and playing the bagpipes, there are plenty who struggle to do one thing at a time. Turning a car into a multimedia playground of distractions is going to cause accidents, in most of which it won't be the erring driver that gets hurt.

Pilots don't have this problem. They have plenty to do but (a) they're trained to manage it around keeping the plane flying, and (b) there are two of them.
 Apple in your car - Stuartli
Apple? I'd rather have a nice pear in my car...:-)
 Apple in your car - No FM2R
>> this is yet another distraction from the task of driving the car

Only if you use it when you shouldn't and it affects your driving. Bit like a coffee, hot dog, shaving etc. etc.

But what's the alternative? Make a new law about it and ban it? More banning and more laws?

Why do we need a law to tell people specifically what not to do. How about we had a law which was a catch all for careless driving and then simply expected people to drive with the appropriate care and attention?

Then, as I may have mentioned before, we could have a special group of policemen to make sure people are driving properly, without worrying about whether or not they are using some form of ICE, navigation of shaver specifically, but simply whether or not they are driving it well.

We could call them the Division for Policing of Traffic, or something.
 Apple in your car - WillDeBeest
...and then simply expected people to drive with the appropriate care and attention?

Absolutely right in principle, NoF, but my worry is that that kind of enforcement is inevitably after the fact, and when that fact is pedestrians squashed by cars and cars squashed by HGVs, it would be better to deter or avoid than to merely punish afterwards. RR is right that our roads are safer than most, but I still feel in-car distractions - and drivers' willingness to use them at inappropriate moments - make them less safe than they could be.

That said, at least integrating the distractions with the car gives the car makers some opportunity to influence what can and can't be done while the car is moving. Aftermarket devices and apps have no car-awareness at all, and yet perversely it's easier to police the installation of a car-aware device by a manufacturer than a user's own jury-rigged navigation or entertainment solution.

The problem is partly the temptation to do complex things on the cheap. Wiring lights and sockets at home is easy; fitting the wiring behind plaster and skirting boards so we don't trip over it takes time, trouble and expense. It's similar with in-car technology: an iPhone on the passenger seat may serve the same purpose as the factory-integrated system you decided not to pay extra for, but you pay the price in terms of ease of use - and on the road, that means safety.
 Apple in your car - Runfer D'Hills
I know someone ( really very well actually ) who only yesterday nearly stuck his LEC sideways under a truck on the M1 because he was stupidly trying to read an email on his handset at the time. No actual harm done but he nearly soiled himself and won't be rushing to do it again.

This 'person' has an occasional tendency to arrogance about his driving skills and probably needed the wake up call...

I was quite cross with, er, 'him'. He should have known better and feels a bit of at wonk to be honest.
 Apple in your car - Zero

>> I was quite cross with, er, 'him'. He should have known better and feels a
>> bit of at wonk to be honest.

Still, at least he is glad to be gay.......
 Apple in your car - Old Navy
The car I was behind in traffic this afternoon only moved when the driver looked up occasionally from whatever he was playing with in his lap and saw the ten or so car length gap in front of his car. As there was a child sitting next to him I think (hope) he was texting. I was not daft enough to drive into Edinburgh on an international rugby afternoon with a home game at Hearts, I was volunteered to do a theatre run for Mrs UA and her pals.
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Sat 8 Mar 14 at 19:31
 Apple in your car - borasport
Chap doing the same stop-start on the M61/M62 slip road last night

Why ?

no hands on the wheel most of the time as he's using his good hand to unbandage and re-dress his injured hand.
Latest Forum Posts