Motoring Discussion > SORN/Tax reclaim/scrapping confusion Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Cliff Pope Replies: 5

SORN/Tax reclaim/scrapping confusion - Cliff Pope
I may have got into a tangle here and sent the wrong forms to DVLA

We decided to get rid of a car after it failed its MOT beyond economic repair. We bought a replacement immediately and transferred the insurance to the new car.
I sent in the tax disc for a reclaim on its special form, together with the V5, to declare SORN. That was 2 weeks ago.

We have now definitely decided to scrap the old car, but suddenly realise we no longer have the section for the scrap man to complete, because DVLA still have it.
So does that mean we cannot scrap it until we hear from the DVLA?
Have I sent in the wrong bits?
 SORN/Tax reclaim/scrapping confusion - Old Navy
I have had a look at my DVLA "INS160" (V5 guide) (link below) and I can't find any requirement to send in the V5 for a SORN.

How you get it back I don't know, maybe phone the DVLA.

The link is huge and it won't tinyise, it is on the DVLA website.
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Sun 2 Feb 14 at 18:32
 SORN/Tax reclaim/scrapping confusion - rtj70
You don't send the V5 when you SORN a vehicle. In fact you can do online if there's no road tax to refund.

I think you'll need to ask the DVLA for a replacement V5.
 SORN/Tax reclaim/scrapping confusion - Ted

www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/home/contactus

HO
 SORN/Tax reclaim/scrapping confusion - Cliff Pope
Thanks.
I think I've made a mistake there and sent the V5 by mistake, along with the tax disc form.
Does that mean I can't scrap the car until I get the V5 back?
 SORN/Tax reclaim/scrapping confusion - Dave_
If you take the car to a designated ELV (End of Life Vehicle) recycler they will notify DVLA online the same day. You don't need to wait for the V5 to come back to do that, just fill in the relevant bits and send it back when it arrives. It doesn't matter that the car will have already been crushed, as long as DVLA are notified their records csn be updated and you'll receive a confirmation letter about 6 weeks later.
Latest Forum Posts