Motoring Discussion > Are Proton toast? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 13

Are Proton toast? - Stuu
I see from How Many left that Proton sold just 29 cars in 2013 - that cant be sustainable for long can it?

Just for some perspective Ssangyong registered 620, Perodua 168 ( not good either ), Great Wall 472 and Subaru 1860.

Are Proton toast? - ToMoCo
Probably. I didn't even realise they were still on the go to be honest.
 Are Proton toast? - Auristocrat
Proton are planning a re-launch in the UK this year with new models - Preve (C segment saloon), Suprima S (C segment hatchback) Exora (7 seater MPV) and the Proton Global Small Car (A segment hatchback)
The Exora dates back to 2009, the Preve to 2011, the Suprima S to 2013. The Global Small Car will replace the Savvy.
 Are Proton toast? - Dave_
>> Proton sold just 29 cars in 2013

in the UK. They shift well over 100,000 a year in Malaysia:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton_(automobile)

I was at Hethel a few weeks before Christmas, there were plenty of chequer-disguised prototypes tooling around there - small hatchbacks, large hatchbacks and people carriers. All of them LHD, none of them Lotuses I'm sure :)
 Are Proton toast? - Armel Coussine
>> Proton sold just 29 cars in 2013

>> in the UK. They shift well over 100,000 a year in Malaysia:

Heh heh... I wondered if anyone was going to make that point.
 Are Proton toast? - R.P.
A Lotus People Carrier....well yes - there would be a market..
 Are Proton toast? - Stuu
>>A Lotus People Carrier....well yes - there would be a market..<<

A 1.6 turbo I think it is and a diesel. Still not sure why anyone would buy one over all the others, even I struggle to be drawn to Proton despite my far eastern motoring preferences.
 Are Proton toast? - Fullchat
Humberside Police stopped buying them so hence their demise in this country :)
 Are Proton toast? - RattleandSmoke
I never understood why they bought them anyway, I remember reading an article about how they were replacing them with Vauxhalls (I think it was) and it would save them a fortune.

Are Proton toast? - madf
Non understanbable purchase policies in NHS,police, Local councils may well arise from one individual influencing policy and being rewarded overseas...in my cynical opinion..
 Are Proton toast? - Fullchat
They wanted to run an LPG fleet and Proton where the only ones who would honour the full warranty with the aftermarket conversion I believe. Won a Greenfleet award as well :) Didn't stop them stalling pulling out of junctions though :(
 Are Proton toast? - retgwte
proton always have a few cars on show at the malaysian high commissioners garden party

they are still mega big in asia if not here

i like the myvi, shame they aint took off here

Are Proton toast? - martint123
>> Humberside Police stopped buying them so hence their demise in this country :)
>>
I'm sure I've seen a few still plodding along (sorry!)
 Are Proton toast? - idle_chatterer
I suspect they're not toast in their home market where import tariffs (30% I think) make them the only choice for most motorists and the GDP per capita is 1/4 of the UKs.

Latest Forum Posts