Motoring Discussion > Oops2 How did this happen? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Enoughalready Replies: 13

Oops2 How did this happen? - Enoughalready
www.haringeyindependent.co.uk/news/10770100.Tesco_lorry_overturns_in_Stroud_Green/

How did this happen? Bad camber and came round a corner too quickly?
EDIT: having looked on Streetview it's a straight road.
Last edited by: Enoughalready on Thu 23 Jan 14 at 14:49
 Oops2 How did this happen? - Old Navy
Clipped the low bridge? There is damage to the top of the load box on the high side front corner.
 Oops2 How did this happen? - Pat
Yep, clipped the bridge...driver error once again.

Pat
 Oops2 How did this happen? - Alanovich
I wonder if he had both hands on the wheel and was concentrating 100% on the road and road signs at the time? Or if he had one hand on with his mental autopilot doing most of the work? Because if its the latter, the accident couldn't have happened, right Pat? Because he/she's an experienced, trained professional who can ease off on the concentration.
Go and pick a fight with someone who will bite Alanovic.

The lorry driver made a mistake. we all do it, I have done and I bet you have too.

You won't find me making excuses for him if he doesn't know the height of his trailer and read the road signs so best go back to wetherspoons.

If he didn't have both hands on the wheel when he hit the bridge, he would have before his cab hit the floor....I know that, I've been there.

Pat

I still don't get it. The trailer has made contact with the bridge but wouldn't that just fold back? I don't see how that could tip the whole lot over to one side.
He obviously didn't hit it square on, did he?

If you're going to make a cock up, it's essential to do it properly.

Pat
>>He obviously didn't hit it square on, did he?

Bizarre. On a straight road too.
Probably just overtaken a cyclist and was pulling back in:)

Pat
Blummin cyclists fault ;)

Well, at least he/she had the lights on under a tunnel-like bridge. Good driver
Last edited by: Enoughalready on Thu 23 Jan 14 at 16:49
Is that a sackable offence? I mean obviously they would have had a warning of sorts but creating such a huge balls-up by going under a clearly marked height restricted bridge must put the job on the line somewhat. Probably worse is the stick you'd get from your fellow drivers though.
 Oops2 How did this happen? - Zero
Judging by the street view picture, that Tesco driver is not the only one who's been giving that bridge a right old bashing.
>> Is that a sackable offence?<<

If you work for a small firm in the Fen then yes it is, but working for Tesco it will follow proper procedure.
My guess is that it may have been an Agency driver who was not familiar with the trailer height or the correct route to the store, but it is only a guess. I understand they are supplied with route maps anyway so.....

Probably worse is the stick you'd
>> get from your fellow drivers though.
>>

Well, I didn't hit a bridge but I managed to park it on it's side neatly the same distance from the kerb all along it's length. That takes some skill for a woman driver:)

Pat
 Oops2 How did this happen? - sherlock47
>> I still don't get it. The trailer has made contact with the bridge but wouldn't
>> that just fold back? I don't see how that could tip the whole lot over
>> to one side.
>>

Know the location well, - the bridge is across the road at quite some angle possibly as much as 30 degrees off square. Hence the limited initial contact, knocking him sideways - probably just over corrected and lost it.
Latest Forum Posts