Motoring Discussion > Under charged by main dealer, Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 14

Under charged by main dealer, - Dog
Yes! you read that correctly, I was under charged by a Nissan pain dealer for my annual service,
I have complained about it to the service department, and I've also sent an email to Nissan UK.

Are you sitting comfortably? then I'll begin ...
My 2005 Almera 1.8SE went in for its annual service on Friday and the total bill was ONLY £114,
and that included 2 new windscreen wipers for gawds sake!
My ghast was well & truly flabbered as I was expecting to pay £2-300 easy,
When I arrived home & checked the bill I noticed that all they had changed (apart from the wipers) was the oil & oil filter!
and there's more ...
Whereas the oil is usually replaced with Total Quartz 9000 5w/30 full syn, this time they used a general non-descript 10w/40 semi-syn.
Now, I have only covered 6000m in the last 12 months which presumably is why they've left the plugs & air filter alone (I can hear BB saying "damned if you do/don't) but if I was doing a *full* service on a car, I would automatically bin the plugs & air filter after one years usage.
And as for the oil they've used, well - I know where that's going (be nice to Almera timing chains!)
 Under charged by main dealer, - Iffy
Plugs last forever these days, don't they?

We used to clean and re-gap them, and blow out the air filter element with a compressed air gun.

Under charged by main dealer, - -
My only complaint with Toyota main dealer charging is the way they price engine oil, by the unit it works out about £70 for 7 and half litres of synthetic 'based'.
Other than that their charges are reasonable.

Having bought 50 litres of Millers fully synthetic for the pick up i'll be taking 2 x 5litre cans full for them to put in from now on.
 Under charged by main dealer, - Hard Cheese

>> general non-descript 10w/40 semi-syn. ........ And as for the oil they've used, well - I know where that's going (be nice to Almera timing chains!)
>>

Most contemorary motorcycles use 10/40 semi and they have timing chains and the rev twice as high as an Almera.

In reply to ifih & Cheddar ~ I know plugs last longer than the ole N9Y's but the car is 5 years old and they've normally been changed on the annual service, perhaps the garage thought I looked hard up.

Re: the oil, for the last 5 years the car has always been fed full synthetic oil so naturally I would have expected the same on this service,
having owned over 40 cars + worked in the motor trade I have 'an ear' for engines and,
I didn't like what I heard this morning, but that's me I suppose - a finicky ole bar-steward.
 Under charged by main dealer, - bathtub tom
I intend changing my (1.5) Almera back to 10W/40 at the next service, this stuff:
www.commaoil.com/productsguide/view/6/243

It meets the spec required and since I've been on 5W/30 I'm using more fuel, not a lot more, but it'll be interesting to see if the oil is causing it. I know it doesn't make sense!

It gets changed every 5K miles so hopefully that'll keep the chain happy.
>>It gets changed every 5K miles so hopefully that'll keep the chain happy.<<

I had a chinwag with the service manager yesterday about the ole timing chains,
and he said they only go TU if not serviced to the makers recc. service schedule so,
you'll be ok using that comma oil looseat - if you change it every 5k
 Under charged by main dealer, - smokie
Was talking to a mech the other day and he said chains are often on nylon runners, and it's them that give up rather than the chain itself. The effect is the same.
 Under charged by main dealer, - RattleandSmoke
With a modern coil pack and ignition modern plugs should last 30k+.

I would be rightly concerned about the oil they have used though.
 Under charged by main dealer, - MD
>>a finicky ole bar-steward.

Pull us a Pint would you P. I'm gasping!
 Under charged by main dealer, - paulb
>> Most contemorary motorcycles use 10/40 semi and they have timing chains and the rev twice
>> as high as an Almera.
>>

Fuchs Comp4 being a good example - the guy who services my Bandit swears by the stuff.
 Under charged by main dealer, - Zero
The plugs are designed for minimum 36k use, the air filter for 24k or two years.
 Under charged by main dealer, - Collos
Why be concerned about the oil main dealers have normally two types of tank oil one for high performance and cooking.They don't have loads of 5litre cans I use to laugh at people paying a fortune for oil at Mercedes main agents when they were using a well known brand of good quality but exremely cheap oil in their tanks.
>>Why be concerned about the oil main dealers have<<

As I stated in the OP ~ The oil is usually itemized on my bill as Total Quartz 9000 5w/30 synthetic,
that is the diet my engine has been on since brand spanking new,
but at my last service on Friday last they've used a 10w/40 semi syn. for some reason without consulting me,
I am well aware that it wouldn't bother most people but - I'm not most people.
 Under charged by main dealer, - Bill Payer
>> people paying a fortune for oil at Mercedes main agents

Mine was £16/L 3 years ago. What astonishes me is that they'll cheerfully use customer supplied oil and reduce the bill by the full cost (in excess of £100) and don't even add an oil disposal charge. Talk about throwing profit away!
Latest Forum Posts