Motoring Discussion > Motorcycle Imports Buying / Selling
Thread Author: MD Replies: 8

Motorcycle Imports - MD
To all you knowledgeable folk out there.

I keep flicking through e-bay looking for a particular Bike or two and it seems that there are more and more folk dragging (sorry Importing) Bikes in from the States, Italy and elsewhere and to be honest they seem to sell, or be on offer for very firm money. (I wonder of they do sell?)

What exactly does it take to import a bike or ten from say the U.S.

Thanks..............Martin.
 Motorcycle Imports - Kevin
In short:

1) Buy the bikes in the US.

2) Arrange shipping (I paid $1400 for half a container in 1999 so I'd guess ~$2k now). You might need extra insurance depending on value. Shipping agent will want pink slips (proof of ownership) on acceptance.

3) Wait for export approval by US customs (2 - 3 weeks min), then reclaim any state Sales Tax you paid.

4) Wait for container to arrive in UK (between 10 days and 1 month depending on ship availability and route).

5) Pay import duties (~10% iirc), VAT and customs/handling fees to UK agent. VAT is payable on total including shipping costs.

6) Wait for container to be released by customs.

7) Collect bikes.

8) Pay for SVA tests.

9) Register bikes.

Motorcycle Imports - Harleyman
I recently imported a 1979 Harley ElectraGlide, bought from a friend in California. Cost me $7200 (£4850 at the time) to buy it, found a space in a container being shipped from Long Beach by a friend of a friend for £350, also cost me 2 days van hire plus the diesel to collect it from Essex.

Was charged VAT IIRC about £250; cheaper rate for older bike.

As it qualifies as a classic I don't have to do the SVA

The bike's a keeper, but if I decided to sell it I'd probably be looking at around eight grand. It follows that if you're shipping a full container in there is money to be made, though the trade is not as profitable as it once was.

tinyurl.com/ow66o8g
 Motorcycle Imports - Dieselboy
Wouldn't you also have to pay to have things coverted from left to right hand drive? ;-)
>> Wouldn't you also have to pay to have things coverted from left to right hand
>> drive? ;-)
>>

Only if it's a sidecar built after 1981.
 Motorcycle Imports - Arctophile
Do motorcycle headlamps dip to the left? I presume that they do.
 Motorcycle Imports - bathtub tom
I presume the fishtails were removed to avoid damage in the container?
>> I presume the fishtails were removed to avoid damage in the container?
>>

Yes, and the "batwing" fairing, both now refitted. Waiting on better weather before I register it as you need to tax it at the same time of course so no point in wasting it.

Weather permitting (and it ain't looking promising) I will have my annual jaunt to Cenarth, near Newcastle Emlyn, tomorrow lunchtime to meet up with my fellow VMCC members. Think I'll take the old WLC side-valve, the mudguards deal with torrential rain better than the modern Sportster does.
 Motorcycle Imports - VxFan
>> Do motorcycle headlamps dip to the left? I presume that they do.

My 1985 Honda does, and I'm pretty sure all my other bikes did too.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 31 Dec 13 at 12:52
Latest Forum Posts