Motoring Discussion > Fuel Prices in U.S. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Cpt. Flack Replies: 10

Fuel Prices in U.S. - Cpt. Flack

As of yesterday, fuel prices fell for the 26th. consecutive day. 20 cents. Average fuel price around $2.73 a gallon.
 Fuel Prices in U.S. - Zero
the US dollar is strong.
 Fuel Prices in U.S. - diddy1234
and yet we still get ripped off here in blighty land.

I thought the cost of oil was going down at the moment, so why are we not seeing this at the pumps ?
 Fuel Prices in U.S. - Zero
you are, prices are dropping, but as above, so is the pound against the dollar.

If BP goes to the wall (its a possibility) we are really in the doodoo over here.
 Fuel Prices in U.S. - R.P.
Dollar is strong little or no taxation on petrol in the states so the prices are more sensitive to oil price fluctuations up and down.
 Fuel Prices in U.S. - Telb
What's the per gallon price over here? I haven't seen that published for years.
 Fuel Prices in U.S. - SteelSpark
>> What's the per gallon price over here? I haven't seen that published for years.

Well I saw it at a BP station for £1.22 per litre yesterday, which I reckon is £5.55 per imperial gallon, and that would be $8.14 per imperial gallon, or $6.78 per US gallon, so almost exactly 2.5 times the cost of the US.

Mind you, maybe BP is overcharging, I believe they have some big bills to pay at the moment :)
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Wed 2 Jun 10 at 12:30
 Fuel Prices in U.S. - RichardW
At £1.20 / litre it's £5.45 / Imperial gallon - US$7.90 at 1.45 $:£ However, the US price is in US gallons, equivalent is approx US$6.58 per US Gallon. Only 2.5 times the price here then....!
 Fuel Prices in U.S. - VxFan
>> What's the per gallon price over here?

Last week:-

Oxford, ranging between 119.9 and 121.9 a litre (petrol)

Swindon, ranging between 114.9 and 117.9 a litre (petrol)

The excuse I've previously heard as to why Swindon's fuel prices are cheaper is that it's closer to the Bristol depot and thus cheaper to deliver to the fuel stations than it is to Oxford. Personally I can't see why they can't just charge the same price wherever the fuel station is and average the delivery costs out accordingly.
 Fuel Prices in U.S. - RichardW
The BP station 300yds from my office is the most expensive in the region. My office is approx a further 200yds from the refinery road loading terminal.... so total transport distance is 500 yds, and the cost is more!
 Fuel Prices in U.S. - Harleyman
>> The excuse I've previously heard as to why Swindon's fuel prices are cheaper is that
>> it's closer to the Bristol depot and thus cheaper to deliver to the fuel stations
>> than it is to Oxford. Personally I can't see why they can't just charge the
>> same price wherever the fuel station is and average the delivery costs out accordingly.
>>

I've heard 'em try this one, they must think we're stupid.

I went to Newtown (Powys) twice last week, unleaded there was £1.15/ litre as opposed to £1.18/litre in Carmarthen, which the last time I looked was a damn sight closer to a refinery (Milford Haven) than Newtown is! I've even known fuel in Haverfordwest to be more expensive, and in my job I get to follow a lot of tankers so you soon know where they're loading from!

It's more expensive because that's what the retailers and oil companies think they can get away with, no other reason.
Latest Forum Posts