Motoring Discussion > And the next one please ! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 13

And the next one please ! - Runfer D'Hills
Chatting to a friend last week, he mentioned that his 17 year old daughter is learning to drive. Nothing too unusual about that of course but the nice thing for me anyway is the car ( aka the victim ) which is being used for her to learn on.

Back in the late 1960's my pal's dads bought a then brand new VW Beetle. He had a driving licence but his wife ( my friend's mother ) didn't and she learned drive in it. Years later when my pal and his sister were old enough they both learned to drive in it. Just last week, his daughter began her lessons in it.

It is no longer his dad's main car, in fact it hasn't been for 30 odd years but he has kept it, always keeping it in good order and takes it out on high days and holidays.

I just thought there was something pleasing about three generations of the same family embarking on their driving career in the same car. I wonder if it'll make it through to the next round?

Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 8 Sep 13 at 11:28
 And the next one please ! - Dave_
The father of a girl in the year below me at school ran a building company and kept a few interesting cars as a hobby. One day about 18 months after I started driving in the early 90s, I saw her drive the other way in their 1930s Ford Model T with L plates on it. What a way to learn about driving!
Last edited by: Dave_TiD on Sun 8 Sep 13 at 19:07
 And the next one please ! - Zero
A 60's beetle? not as easy to drive as a "modern day car as appliance" she should be a proper driver if she passes in that.
 And the next one please ! - Armel Coussine
Absolutely. Need a delicate hand just for that long well-worn gearchange linkage. All that sort of thing really helps a person to become a proper driver, not just a modern appliance user.
 And the next one please ! - Runfer D'Hills
Indeed so. Anyone else got or know of a car which has been used by three generations of the same family or more? Must be some about.
 And the next one please ! - commerdriver
>> Indeed so. Anyone else got or know of a car which has been used by
>> three generations of the same family or more? Must be some about.
>>
there is 1 in our family and another is only a matter of time
Since August 2011 , my daughter (now 22) has had her late grandmother's 1999 VS Golf as her car , driven by grandmother, me, and now her.

Just a matter of time before we score 2 vehicles, The Commer was owned by my wife's father, then us, none of the kids has yet been allowed to borrow her but one day...
My daughter has moved it about 20 yards but I haven't counted that :-)

And the next one please ! - MD
Picture perchance CD?
Of the Golf :-)

I will try to get round to it, thought I had one up somewhere a couple of years ago when it was restored I will try to find that in the next couple of days.

Also just realised I forgot one, SWMBO's father had a Xantia as his last car, wife and I used it around Kent after he died while looking after her mother, then our oldest passed his car on to younger brother and bought the Xantia from Grandfather's estate and ran it for a couple of years.
 And the next one please ! - Boxsterboy
>> Indeed so. Anyone else got or know of a car which has been used by
>> three generations of the same family or more? Must be some about.
>>

Not quite, but my brother has a Citroen Dyane 6 which was my mother's, and he will NEVER sell it (just like the rest of his junk), so when he eventually passes, I expect it will transfer to the next generation of the family.
 And the next one please ! - Cliff Pope
There are restrictions on which cars can be used for a driving test:

www.gov.uk/practical-driving-test-for-cars/rules-for-cars-used-for-driving-tests

The Ford T and the VW might be ruled out by the seat belt requirement.
Also, strangely, convertibles are not allowed because of alleged restrictions on all-round visibility.
>> There are restrictions on which cars can be used for a driving test:
>>
Correct, one of son's friends was told, on the day, he could not do his test in his beetle because it did not have headrests

Funnily enough, on the second point I don't know when they stopped allowing convertibles, I took my test in a convertible in November 1972 (with the hood up!)
Last edited by: commerdriver on Mon 9 Sep 13 at 13:24
 And the next one please ! - Boxsterboy
>> Also, strangely, convertibles are not allowed because of alleged restrictions on all-round visibility.
>>

Some convertibles are allowed, but you have to check with DVLA. A friend's daughter is learning in a BMW 1-series convertible - I wonder if that's allowed in the test?

Also, strangely, Toyota IQs are ruled out for visibility reasons.
 And the next one please ! - crocks
Some panel vans are excluded for all-round visibility reasons.

The Toyota iQ's visibility is similarly compromised.

I remember Ted mentioning it a while back.
Have a look here. www.topgear.com/uk/toyota/iq/road-test/1.3
 And the next one please ! - Ted

Son of one of our late club members took his test in his late dad's 1934 Jowett Kestrel without any issues/problems.

Come to think of it, that may be a 4 driver car...new to the family in 1934. Current owner, who won classic car of the year in 2012 after his restoration is only about 20, so this one will run and run through the generations !

Ted
Latest Forum Posts