Motoring Discussion > Want a car with high seating for less than £4k Buying / Selling
Thread Author: wazza Replies: 14

Want a car with high seating for less than £4k - wazza
Due to back problems i am looking for a used car with high seating for less than £4k.

It must have..

1. low insurance group (starting with no NCB)

2. Seat one adult and 3 children in comfort

3. Reliable and easy access to spares.

I am not interested in 4x4 and since i only plan to do less than 5k miles a year i won't mind a petrol version.

At present all i can think of is Nissan Almera Tino and Vauxhall Zafira. It does not have to be a MPV it need to have a high seating for easy entry and exit.

Thanks in advance for any replies
 Want a car with high seating for less than £4k - CGNorwich
CMAX?

Very easy to get in and out. My experience of ownership clouded by reliability/build problems but undoubtedly a very comfortable car
 Want a car with high seating for less than £4k - Bazzabear
What about the Ford Fusion? I believe that's the jacked up version of the Fiesta, while the C-MAX is the jacked up Focus, so it may be cheaper (although I'm not sure when they came out, so perhaps not!) and a lower insurance group.

I can confirm you should be able to get a C-MAX within your price range though, having had a quick look at some myself recently. Vx Zafira and Meriva may similarly work. Nissan Note I think is a bit too new to drop to that price range.
 Want a car with high seating for less than £4k - Netsur
Ford C-Max

Chevrolet Tacuma

Mazda Premacy

Fiat Multipla
 Want a car with high seating for less than £4k - Zero
Renault Scenic, Chevrolet Tacuma (4 years old 25k miles 3 grand or less)
 Want a car with high seating for less than £4k - Herr Sandwichmann
As well as the above,

Berlingo
Kangoo
....possibles, but not sure about seating height

Otherwise maybe a Xsara Picasso.
Last edited by: Crocked Monsieur on Tue 1 Jun 10 at 14:43
 Want a car with high seating for less than £4k - Auristocrat
Vauxhall Aguila/Suzuki Wagon R, Vauxhall Meriva, Daihatsu Terios
 Want a car with high seating for less than £4k - Alanovich
Suzuki Ignis 5-door. FIAT Idea. Vauxhall Meriva.
 Want a car with high seating for less than £4k - Iffy
Don't rule out a Focus hatchback.

It's more 'sit up and beg' than most other similarly sized cars.

Some people find a C-Max a bit too high.

If you have mobility problems, climbing up into a high car can be just as hard lowering yourself into a low one.

Want a car with high seating for less than £4k - Victorbox
I bought my company car Zafira B (2006) in August last year when it came out of lease for £4,000 so I guess even some of the latest shape 05/06 Zafiras must be around your budget at auction. Certainly there are plenty of Zafira A's out there.
 Want a car with high seating for less than £4k - wazza
Thanks for the replies. Due to being too fond of biscuits i am looking at medium cars. Will have a look at the focus.

It is easy for me getting into the car but getting out can be a struggle if in a normal car and if parked next to a pavement.
 Want a car with high seating for less than £4k - Avant
Add the Honda Jazz to the list. It's quite tall so you can get in easily with the seat at its highest setting (so find one with seat height adjiuster).
 Want a car with high seating for less than £4k - John24
I faced similar problems some years ago. My solution - Mitsubishi. Had a Space runner for 4 years, now have a Space Star. Reliable, comfortable, spacious, adaptable, economic. Mine is the 1.6 petrol, cheap to insure, 40 mpg urban driving, nippy when needed. Spares? Servicing items cheap, others unknown, never having had to buy anything. Plenty available in your budget range. Good luck.
 Want a car with high seating for less than £4k - Roger.
Citroen Xsara Picasso?
Our daughter has one and it is so much easier for creaky old folk like us to get in and out.
Our current, much loved, Fabia Mk1, 1.9tdi is getting a bit of a struggle in that respect and if we do manage to sell here & move back to the UK, we'll be looking for a car with a higher seat position.
Last edited by: landsker on Wed 2 Jun 10 at 08:14
 Want a car with high seating for less than £4k - Netsur
Mercedes A-Class - a load of interior space for little outside bulk.

But second John24's suggestion of Mitsubishi Spacestar. My secretary has one. 1.9D and it is seven years old. Drives well, does 40mpg around town (purely urban stop-start driving) and is very comfortable.
Latest Forum Posts