Motoring Discussion > placebo buttons on some Pelican crossings Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 2

placebo buttons on some Pelican crossings - VxFan
Does pushing the button make any difference?

The short answer is - it depends. At a standalone pedestrian crossing, unconnected to a junction, the button will turn a traffic light red.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23869955

Take one very busy crossing - at the intersection between Regent Street and Cavendish Place, near the BBC's HQ in London - and you immediately start to doubt the button's efficacy.

Sometimes people press it, sometimes they don't. In both cases there is a 105-second interval between the red man coming on and the green man appearing.

This is mid-afternoon. In the morning it is slightly longer - 110 seconds.

At night, the button does act to stop the traffic, says Transport for London. But this is only between the hours of midnight and 07:00. In the daytime, the button has no effect.
 placebo buttons on some Pelican crossings - L'escargot
Wow! I wonder who carried out the survey which came up with that detailed degree of information about pedestrian crossings. If I was given that job to do it would do my head in.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 5 Sep 13 at 09:21
 placebo buttons on some Pelican crossings - Fursty Ferret
>> Wow! I wonder who carried out the survey which came up with that detailed degree
>> of information about pedestrian crossings. If I was given that job to do it would
>> do my head in.
>>

*raises hand tentatively*

Erm, I once spent a very productive 25 minutes playing with my local pelican crossing and came to the conclusion that pushing the button did sweet f-all.
Latest Forum Posts