Motoring Discussion > Subaru Legacy and Outback Petrol - Recall - rear brake pipe corrosion Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Gromit Replies: 3

Subaru Legacy and Outback Petrol - Recall - rear brake pipe corrosion - Gromit
I've had a letter from Subaru Ireland advising me of a recall to have the Legacy checked for possible corrosion of the rear brake pipes. Apparently this can happen if large amounts of road salt come into contact with the pipes.

I wouldn't have thought our local authorities were that generous with salt or grit, but as she was due a new anti roll bar link (not least because our local authorities aren't that generous with fixing roads either) I'm booked in to have it checked within the week.

The same recall is underway in the US for Legacies and Outbacks built between 2003 and 2009, so other Scooby owners on here may want to check whether it affects you.
 Subaru Legacy and Outback Petrol - Recall - rear brake pipe corrosion - Lygonos
As previously mentioned all the brake pipes on my 2000 Forester were very corroded at the point they entered various unions (steel pipes with a plastic coating which isn't much use when it is removed to fit a union).

The subframes also have a lot of surface corrosion which I have wire-brushed, Kurusted, and Hammerited. The underbody that has factory underseal is all pretty much fine and the paintwork is still largely rust free other than a few bubbles around the entry point for the rear wiper.

I wonder if it is simply road salt and time, or if perhaps this Foz spent a lot of time parked on wet grass.
 Subaru Legacy and Outback Petrol - Recall - rear brake pipe corrosion - corax
After previous experiences with brake pipes, I've brushed waxoyl and dinitrol around the all the solid pipes where bare metal is showing, and around the brackets where the flexible hose connect, as they were looking a bit rusty.

My rear subframe had surface corrosion, the inside area of the hubs. I know that my car lived near the sea for a while. I guess it's the sort of use that these cars can be subjected to.
 Subaru Legacy and Outback Petrol - Recall - rear brake pipe corrosion - Gromit
Reading the US forums, it seems Subaru USA are replacing brake pipes where there are signs of existing corrosion, and applying rust-proofing treatment as a preventative measure otherwise.
Latest Forum Posts