Motoring Discussion > Motorpoint, any experiences ? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 7

Motorpoint, any experiences ? - Hard Cheese

A respected and reputable company these days?

We have seen a car advertised at a fair price and they have offered a fair p-ex over the phone.

The deal seems to be that we pay a deposit and then make arrangements to collect the car though we can cancel the deal if we are at all unhappy with the car upon inspection.

One frustration is that while the car might be advertised as, say, £9999 they add £87.13 prep fee on every deal, why not build it in? Additionally if the car is at a Motorpoint branch other than your local one they charge a delivery fee of £50. It is unclear to me whether these two fees are refundable if the buyer is unhappy with the car upon inspection.

Any experiences, comments?

Thanks.

Motorpoint, any experiences ? - Falkirk Bairn
I bought brand new Cyprus import 2.5 yrs ago.

Visited site, got £1900 for my car (others offered £1500-£2100), knocked £500 off screen price, asked for tank of fuel + mats - we do not sell fuel or mats (£50 for fuel+£35 for mats added to T/I).

Delighted with the deal and the car has been perfect - shafted by 2 x Nissan dealers for servicing but this year's dealer seemed a lot more honest.

I would not buy remotely car with a trade-in - sitting down arguing the toss could save hundreds. Buying without a t/i is much simpler and achievable on phone.

Motorpoint, any experiences ? - Hard Cheese

Thanks FB, actually they have a relevant car at the site nearest us so I will visit before putting a deposit down, as you say more haggling opportunities.
 Motorpoint, any experiences ? - Iffy
Some of their cars were an odd spec, although I don't think this applies now that fewer are imports.

A Focus I looked at a few years ago had something like a heated front screen and no air con, or the other way around.

Either way, it was not a UK spec car.

No problem unless you want to sell it while it's still young, when the dealer chain will turn up their noses.

If it's a pre-reg import, you might only get the balance of a two-year guarantee, instead of the balance of a three-year one.

I've heard of small niggles with cars from Motorpoint - missing radio codes seems to be a favourite.

Overall, no reason not to buy from Motorpoint, but if it's a Ford, I would check to see what the main dealer is offering.
 Motorpoint, any experiences ? - brettmick
Pa in law bought a Nissan Note from them a few months back and is very happy.

I had a look there last spring when considering cars and they had a decent choice and were helpful etc.

What was noticeable was that most of the cars are "odd" specs (at the time a lot of big automatic petrol Saabs, outgoing Vectras and so on). I guess dealers shifting the less popular stuff without affecting the "prestige prices" main dealers ask.

A friend in the trade says they do resell grey imports and as a result you might only get 2 years warranty, as mentioned previously.
 Motorpoint, any experiences ? - Kithmo
My experience of visiting their Derby branch (4 years ago mind) was, they couldn't find the car I saw advertised on the web, even though it was listed as being at the Derby site. Whilst looking round I found a similar car and they couldn't find the keys to that one. I asked them to email or ring me when they found either of the above, or another of the same came in stock, they never contacted me so a few weeks later I bought elsewhere.
Last edited by: Kithmo on Mon 31 May 10 at 16:30
 Motorpoint, any experiences ? - Netsur
When I was looking at swapping the XC90 for the S-Max I found only six cars on the web which met my requirements, one of which was at Newport Motorpoint and my closest depot is Burnley. They were happy to bring the car up for me to view.

I bought elsewhere because the spec was not as good as I really wanted and their p/x was about £1,000 adrift although the car was newer than the others I saw and a very good price.
 Motorpoint, any experiences ? - mikeyb
Used them about 5 or six years ago. Bought a fairly standard petrol mondeo over the phone. I refused to pay the vallet charge, so car was filthy when I picked it up and radio didnt work.

To be fair they told me to take the car to ford and they would pay to get the radio fixed - the security code on the handbook ws not the one for the stereo fitted.....

At the time they were cheaper than anyone else, so on a price basis it was the best deal, but I want to feel a bit more special when I get it, and having to wait an hour to pay in what was what I imagine a social security office to be like was not fun.

I have noticed that they are also more expensive now than they usd to be - we have a good VW dealer who can usually beat them on price, and will then chuck in tank of fuel, serice before delivery etc. Other halfs Sharan was about 1500 quid cheaper than motorpoint price and service was far superior, however if MP were cheap enough then I would consider them.
Latest Forum Posts