Motoring Discussion > Advice on extended warranty Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 12

Advice on extended warranty - BobbyG
My Seat Altea XL will be 3 years old next month and will then come out of warranty.
Much as it hurts me to say, I am planning to keep the car for another couple of years and as it is a turbo diesel, I want to cover all angles.

Can anyone recommend a warranty company that would supply a decent warranty that would cover most probable issues?

I will then try and get quotes and decide whether the cost is justifiable or whether I set aside money each month for the repair fund instead?
 Advice on extended warranty - Zero
Make sure it covers the ABS /TCS module, which as you know is a failure point on VAG cars soon after three years.
Is yours still lying in a car park if I need spare parts??
nah its gone, where to I know not where.

Advice on extended warranty - Duncan
Put the money that an extended warranty would cost each month into a whisky bottle, park said bottle on the dresser in the kitchen and at the end of a year you will have enough to pay for most repairs.
Well I got a quote from warranty Direct, the all singing-all dancing Extracare and the quote online was £382.
Today a sales rep from them has phoned and offered me a special deal of only £340 or 10 months interest free at £34!

SEAT themselves also do an extended warranty and they are sending me out details.

Interestingly whilst my car was in for its service , I complained about a noise from the clutch/steering at low speeds. This has turned out to be the Dual Mass Flywheel and it is being replaced under warranty. My 3 year new-car warranty runs out on 20 June....

There are 2 major known problems with these cars, as Zero says the ABS/TCS sensor (approx price £1000) and the Flywheel.

Now I have one replaced, do I hedge my bets that the other won't happen.... or will definitely happen......

The joys of owning a modern diesel out of warranty......
 Advice on extended warranty - mikeyb
I had the same debate with th eother half sharan when it came out of warranty. As it had been reliable so far decided to chance it. 18 months later and not spent anything other than tyres and pads.

Given you are getting the DMF done I would chance it, but might be worth keeping the VAG history up to date as you might get a goodwill gesture if anything major goes
 Advice on extended warranty - movilogo
Most manufacturers allow warranty to be extended after initial 3 year period. You better take than 3rd party warranty [especially warranty direct etc.] which are often not worth the paper they are written on [source: moneysavingexpert.com forum]

Toyota recently started giving 5-yr warranty. I have a hunch that soon most manufacturers will follow suit.

Advice on extended warranty - -
I'm in much the same boat, it'll probably cost in the region of £700 for an extra year on the pick up, i imagine the VW extended won't be much cheaper, i'm not going to pay that out i'll take me chances.

I won't touch an aftermarket warrenty with a sticky stick.
forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=829343&highlight=warranty

doesn't seem to totally rule out the idea of extended warranties. Some there very satisfied with the service they have received.

Still await the quote from SEAT. Two minds about them, would they want to honour any claims on their own cars as does that signify there are issues with their products? Or would they be more willing to pay out to avoid any bad press?

Or probably more likely is the third option - it is SEAT in name only and probably underwritten by an insurance company.
Last edited by: BobbyG on Tue 8 Jun 10 at 20:33
likely the third, its an underwritten insurance policy on my 4th year warranty on the Lancer.
 Advice on extended warranty - movilogo
IIRC all manufacturers' extended warranties are underwritten by 3rd party insurance companies.
 Advice on extended warranty - mikeyb
The one VW offer me was underwritten by someone else - cant recall who though
Latest Forum Posts