Motoring Discussion > Ford Focus III - Choosing an engine oil Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 19

Ford Focus III - Choosing an engine oil - L'escargot
My car's Owners Manual recommends engine oil to Ford specification WSS-M2C948-B viscosity grade 5W-20 Castrol or Ford oil. I've found a Castrol oil (Castrol Magnatec Professional 5W-20) but the Castrol data sheet says "Castrol Magnatec Professional 5W-20 is specially developed for use in Ford, Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles that require a 5W-20 lubricant that meets Ford WSS-M2C925-B specification."

Note the difference between the recommended WSS-M2C948-B and the WSS-M2C925-B quoted on the Castrol data sheet.

Where do I go from here?
 Ford Focus III - Choosing an engine oil - Alanovich
Your local dealer? Didn't you buy the Ford because the dealer was next door? Give 'em a ring, I'm sure they'll be delighted to supply you with the correct oil.

Are you not getting your oil changes/services done at the dealer anyway?
 Ford Focus III - Choosing an engine oil - Number_Cruncher
This may be worth a closer look;

Fuchs TITAN Supersyn F Eco-B 5W-20

>> Are you not getting your oil changes/services done at the dealer anyway?
>>

It needs topping up.
 Ford Focus III - Choosing an engine oil - mikeyb
>> >> Are you not getting your oil changes/services done at the dealer anyway?
>> >>
>>
>> It needs topping up.
>>

Already? How many miles has it done?

Never topped up the volvo - it was at about 75% on the dip stick at the 10K service
 Ford Focus III - Choosing an engine oil - VxFan
>> >> It needs topping up.
>> >>
>>
>> Already? How many miles has it done?

Some engines are very tight when they're new and will consume oil for the first few thousand miles. Once its loosened up a bit, it should settle down and not use any, or hardly any at all.

Our last Transit Connect at work was down to the min level of the dipstick after 3,000 miles. Topped it up and it hardly used any after that. Yes, it was on max when we first got it.
 Ford Focus III - Choosing an engine oil - DP
The 320d was still showing Max on the oil level readout when it went in for its first service at just shy of 20,000 miles. It was never topped up.

>> Some engines are very tight when they're new and will consume oil for the first
>> few thousand miles. Once its loosened up a bit, it should settle down and not
>> use any, or hardly any at all.
>>
>> Our last Transit Connect at work was down to the min level of the dipstick
>> after 3,000 miles. Topped it up and it hardly used any after that. Yes, it
>> was on max when we first got it.
>>

This agrees with what my car's Owners Manual says, which is ......... "The oil consumption of new engines reaches its normal level after approximately 5000 kilometres (3000 miles)."

Yes, I've got a FM2R, and I read whichever of the total of 368 pages is relevant at the time.
 Ford Focus III - Choosing an engine oil - WillDeBeest
Never topped up the Volvo - it was at about 75% on the dip stick at the 10K service.

If mine is anything to go by, you've got at least another 120,000 to go before it needs any between services.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever even owned a pot of oil, let alone had a car that used any.
 Ford Focus III - Choosing an engine oil - mikeyb
>> Never topped up the Volvo - it was at about 75% on the dip stick
>> at the 10K service.

>>
>> If mine is anything to go by, you've got at least another 120,000 to go
>> before it needs any between services.
>>
>> Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever even owned a pot of
>> oil, let alone had a car that used any.
>>

Goes back to the lease company at the end of October so wont get the chance to find out!

Mrs B's Sharan has passed 90K and don't ever recall topping the oil up in it either, in fact don't own any oil to top up with
 Ford Focus III - Choosing an engine oil - WillDeBeest
It needs topping up.

Isn't that something you could reasonably ask a dealer to do for nothing? Especially if you've got one of those all-in service plans that tend to come with new cars these days.
 Ford Focus III - Choosing an engine oil - bathtub tom
Ahem!

bit.ly/19N8zF9
 Ford Focus III - Choosing an engine oil - No FM2R
..... "The specifications from Ford Company (WSS-M2C948-B) are required for Ford petrol engines with the exception of (Ford Ka (08/2008), Focus ST (2004.75 with 2.5 l Duratec-ST (VI5) engine und Focus RS (2004.75 with 2.5 l Duratec-ST (VI5) engine).

The motor oil of the standard WSS-M2C948-B is stipulated for all routine services, warranty, recall and warranty service activities on 1.0 l 3-cylinder EcoBoost engines. In addition, it is fully compatible with older versions. Ford recommends its use for all engines for which oils of specifications WSS-M2C913-B, WSS-M2C913-C or WSSM2C925-B were currently required."
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 7 Aug 13 at 11:47
 Ford Focus III - Choosing an engine oil - Dog
Eh: www.castrol.com/castrol/sectionbodycopy.do?categoryId=9024084&contentId=7073092
>> Eh: www.castrol.com/castrol/sectionbodycopy.do?categoryId=9024084&contentId=7073092
>>

That says 5W-30, with 5W-20 as an alternative but Ford say the other way round. I believe Ford.
 Ford Focus III - Choosing an engine oil - Dog
I've got some 5w-30 in a Brita water filter jug (don't ask!) on my kitchen windowsill. I often give a a good squish round as it amazes me just how thin it is - compared to the good 20w-50 days but, I rest assured in the knowledge that, as pointed out to me by comrade N/C, that it reaches the bits that matter, a damn sight quicker on cold starts, than the 'glug glug' of yesteryear.
Last edited by: Dog on Thu 8 Aug 13 at 08:39
 Ford Focus III - Choosing an engine oil - Haywain
"My car's Owners Manual recommends engine oil to Ford specification WSS-M2C948-B viscosity grade 5W-20 "

Which engine is that, L'es? Has Ford moved to this spec across the range of engines and away from the 5W-30, or just certain ones? I see the 1.0L Ecoboost 3-cyl uses 5W-20.

Cheers H
>> "My car's Owners Manual recommends engine oil to Ford specification WSS-M2C948-B viscosity grade 5W-20 "
>>
>> Which engine is that, L'es?

182 PS 1.6 litre Ecoboost petrol.

"Petrol engines ~ WSS-M2C948-B 5W-20 Castrol or Ford Engine Oil

Alternative engine oil ~ all petrol engines except 1.0L EcoBoost, WSS-M2C913-C 5W-30 Castrol or Ford Engine Oil

Diesel engines ~ WSS-M2C913-C 5W-30 Castrol or Ford Engine Oil"
 Ford Focus III - Choosing an engine oil - Haywain
"182 PS 1.6 litre Ecoboost petrol."

Thanks, L'es, I was curious because my old '97 Mondeo used 5w-30, and my wife's 52 Focus uses the same.

When my wife retires within the next couple of years, she has a fancy for a Fiesta with the 1.0L 3-cyl (125ps) motor.
I've just bought a 1 litre bottle of Castrol Magnatec Professional E 5W-20 Oil for £6.52 from my Ford dealer, which is better than the price of £8.75 plus £4 delivery offered on ebay. tinyurl.com/mmdzkzn
Latest Forum Posts