Motoring Discussion > Driving in flip flops. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Almac Replies: 42

Driving in flip flops. - Almac
Never having quite mastered walking in flip flops the idea of driving in them seems a bit risky. My son however says that driving in them is fine. Any thoughts?

Alan.
 Driving in flip flops. - VxFan
I guess it's down to the individual. Some people I know drive in slippers or even barefoot. Having tried the former myself, I didn't find it very comfortable at all. Shoes, trainers or my workboots for me.
 Driving in flip flops. - Zero
slipper or barefoot is ok, I have tried driving in flip flops and found it a most unnerving and dangerous experience.
 Driving in flip flops. - R.P.
Sensible shoes for me everytime - be they actual shoes (rare) or some form of trainer (not sporty ones - wlaking ones). Drovem in bike boots once - very unnerving that was.
 Driving in flip flops. - mikeyb
I'm with Zero - flip flops are the one item of footwear I cant drive in
 Driving in flip flops. - Number_Cruncher
Clogs were OK in trucks, but a bit more difficult in minis

They were a bit like these; but with irons on the sole rather than rubber

www.clogs.co.uk/farmers%20clogs.htm

One of our drivers wore clogs, but instead of irons, every so often would cut up the tread of an old tyre, and nail it to the sole of his clogs.

Towards the end on the 1980's it was beginning to become difficult to get hold of clogs and irons, and now, only the expensive touristy type places like the link above are operating
 Driving in flip flops. - bathtub tom
I'll often drive in slippers, I prefer the feedback from a thin, flexible sole.

Only ever drove barefoot once. There was a bit of grit on the brake pedal - ouch!

Found I could drive the old Kia in size 12 wellies, useful on occasion.
>> Found I could drive the old Kia in size 12 wellies, useful on occasion.

Welsh hill climb?
Never competed in hill climbs. Autotests, trials and autosolo.
Them then ;)

Getting damn adverts for flip flops on the side pane now.
 Driving in flip flops. - Old Navy
It must be better than driving in high heels, although I haven't tried it. :-)
 Driving in flip flops. - Slidingpillar
To be honest, it's going to depend on the car and the person. Some cars are better laid out for strange footwear than others and some people can keep flip flops in place better than others too.

The Landrover I had would be impossible in flip flops, gave me trouble in shoes sometimes as the brake pedal was significantly higher than the accelerator and required a considerable foot lift. The flip flop attribute of dangling below the foot could cause problems.

The Morgan Super Aero though should be easy, only two pedals and left foot does left pedal, right foot right etc, none of the automatics games.
 Driving in flip flops. - alfalfa
I think the subject of this thread should have used the american and australian term for flip flops thus "Driving in Thongs." And no, I have no experience.

alfalfa
 Driving in flip flops. - Manatee
Boy's car was rear ended a couple of years ago.

The lady responsible apologised and said her flip-flop had come off.
 Driving in flip flops. - Armel Coussine
I could drive a big soft US-style auto in bare feet, but anything with small metal-faced pedals would tickle or hurt them and make it difficult. I don't have flip-flops and I think they would be dangerous because they don't stay on properly.

I suppose people who walk barefoot a lot and have hard soles could manage anything barefoot. Our driver in Ceylon used to.
 Driving in flip flops. - Ted

What does a one legged man wear on the beach ?
Flips !

I'll get me coat !

Ted
 Driving in flip flops. - corax
Driving in flip flops - way too dodgy for me. They're too loose on the foot, and unreliable.

Walking sandals are fine with the added advantage of a stream of cold air on your tootsies in hot weather.

Steel toe caps. No thanks. Tried it once and hated the lack of pedal feel.
>> Steel toe caps. No thanks. Tried it once and hated the lack of pedal feel.

Having driven a landrover off road (towing a game cart) wearing wellington boots, I can drive pretty much anything with work wear type boots on my feet.
 Driving in flip flops. - L'escargot
>> >> Steel toe caps. No thanks. Tried it once and hated the lack of pedal
>> feel.

Before I drove home from work I used to always remove the steel toe-cap shoes which were mandatory on the factory premises and I put on my Guccis before getting in my car.
 Driving in flip flops. - Armel Coussine
Wellingtons or heavy work boots are fine when driving coarse heavy vehicles like old Land Rovers or trucks of the less sophisticated sort. The pedals seem designed with them in mind in fact.

Driving in flip flops. - Bromptonaut
>>
>> What does a one legged man wear on the beach ?

>> .
>> Flips !
>>
>> I'll get me coat !
>>
>> Ted

What do you call a Frenchman in sandals?

Phillipe Pheloup!!!!

Joke courtesy of Miss B!!
 Driving in flip flops. - zookeeper
>>
>> What does a one legged man wear on the beach ?
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> Flips !
>>
>> I'll get me coat !
>>
>> Ted
>>

i was thinking tide marks
>> >>
>> >> What does a one legged man wear on the beach ?
>> >> .
>> >> .
>> >> .
>> >> .
>> >> .
>> >> .
>> >> Flips !
>> >>
>> >> I'll get me coat !
>> >>
>> >> Ted

you should, it depends if he lost his right leg or his left leg, he could be wearing flops.
 Driving in flip flops. - ....
>> Drovem in bike boots once - very unnerving
>> that was.
>>
Was that with a floor hinged throttle RP ? Not much flex in the heel of a bike boot is there ?
I've driven my Volvo in bike boots didn't really notice much difference, the thicker sole probably helped with the heavy duty clutch pedal.
I've driven barefoot and quite enjoyed it, I don't possess a pair of ladies shoes and my wife's feet are smaller than mine so no idea about flip-flops ;-)
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 2 Aug 13 at 18:23
 Driving in flip flops. - corax
Apparently the Australian term for flip flops is 'thongs', and my mind always does a double take when my Aussie mate say's he might slip on his thongs tomorrow if it's hot.
 Driving in flip flops. - legacylad
I never ever drive in flip flops. Very occasionally bare foot, and my Chaco sandals have too wide a footprint for serious motoring. Even in the warmest weather I prefer some light weight foot wear.
So how do you hustle the 330 ? Do you have to strap your feet up ala geisha girl ? How does that work ?
I sat in a 325 and my size 9's didn't really fit...It was a bit like the pedal box from a Pug 206.
 Driving in flip flops. - legacylad
One adjusts. My 9.5s seem to fit perfectly on the loud pedal. The far left pedal gets limited use with block changes, and the middle peddle gets as much use as the indicators.
chuff all.
 Driving in flip flops. - Bromptonaut
Odd this comes up, was thinking of a 'wrong shoes' thread earlier in week.

Trying to pull off uphill from a car park in Pyrenees on Monday the Berlingo was on verge of stalling; unable to pull skin off rice pud. Not its usual tractable self at all. Worried for a mo that there was an issue/problem with engine.

Nothing wrong with car at all.

Was driving in sandals with 2cm thick walking boot pattern soles. My foot was undetectedly off place on accelerator so wasn't able to get full throttle/torque.
>> Odd this comes up, was thinking of a 'wrong shoes' thread earlier in week.
>>
>> Trying to pull off uphill from a car park in Pyrenees on Monday the Berlingo
>> was on verge of stalling; unable to pull skin off rice pud. Not its usual
>> tractable self at all. Worried for a mo that there was an issue/problem with engine.
>>
>>
>> Nothing wrong with car at all.
>>
Don't kid yourself, get yourself back in there on your first day back and say GB delivered your car and ragged it up and down the delivery ramp ;-) Citroën owe you !!!
I once drove an Elva Courier tinyurl.com/phug4dv (no, that's not me) and found I couldn't get both my size 12s in the pedal box at the same time, so I could either press the throttle, the brake or the clutch. Made changing gear 'interesting'.

We also had to drop the roof so I could fit in. I had to drive looking over the top of the 'screen rail. Much the same in my daughter's MX5.
 Driving in flip flops. - Roger.
I prefer driving in a car. ;-)
 Driving in flip flops. - Cliff Pope
Slippers are OK, unless you forget you need to pop into a shop on the way, and then you look like one of these old biddies who go shopping in bedroom wear.

Gumboots are fine, as long as there is lots of space round the pedals.

I've tried barefeet. Not a good idea in the LandRover - metal spikes on the pedals.
It also depends on the pedal design. An organ-peddle type is fine, as is a fixed pad on the pedal. But the kind with a pivotting pad is awful, because you then lack the regidity of a sole to hold it still, and its hard work using your toes.
 Driving in flip flops. - Fursty Ferret
I find it quite an unpleasant experience, so generally go barefoot. Even easier with cruise control since with the seat back bare feet do a good job on the steering wheel if you can get a good grip with your toes.
 Driving in flip flops. - R.P.
Who do you fly for again ? :-)
 Driving in flip flops. - Old Navy
>> Who do you fly for again ? :-)
>>

I was in a seaplane recently and the pilots were wearing crisp white shirts, blue shorts, and flip flops.

tinyurl.com/mz3k2x7
 Driving in flip flops. - crocks
>> tinyurl.com/mz3k2x7

Looks like a nice place to work.........and there is a Pilot Application Form link at the bottom of the page!
 Driving in flip flops. - Cliff Pope
>> good job on the steering
>> wheel if you can get a good grip with your toes.
>>

Don't do it with a sports steering wheel. The fire brigade are inundated with calls to drivers who have got their toes stuck in the holes.
 Driving in flip flops. - Roger.
Yes - but they weren't driving at the time ;-)
>> Never having quite mastered walking in flip flops the idea of driving in them seems
>> a bit risky. My son however says that driving in them is fine. Any thoughts?
>>
>> Alan.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-23754997

Driver wearing flip flops crashes into Kebab Shop.
 Driving in flip flops. - mikeyb
I've been following this story in the local rag which has a rather less "BBC" feel to the reporting

Not one of the finer local areas, but then, I guess that a 50 year old woman headbutting a teenager probably gives that away
 Driving in flip flops. - Mr. Ecs

London Black cab driver killed two tourists outside Harrods. Wearing flip flops. Somehow got caught under the accelerator pedal.
 Driving in flip flops. - Alastairw
While waiting for ex wife and kiddies to get through baggage claim at Manchester a week or so ago - and incurring a £5 parking charge for the privilege - I noticed a lot of the minicab drivers hanging around were also wearing flip flops. I never think to ask to see the drivers shoes when getting in a cab - though I am usually three sheets to the wind by that point in the evening!
Latest Forum Posts