Motoring Discussion > Volvo S40 - New (to me) D5 report Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R40 Replies: 3

Volvo S40 - New (to me) D5 report - R40
Well, after nearly 8 years of untroubled and sterling service and 88k miles my 2.5 KV6 Rover 75 has stood aside for an 07 Volvo S40 D5 SE with the Geartronic box.

The 5 pot 2.4 Diesel is imo a cracking engine with not far off 200bhp and superb road holding. This version comes with a strut brace between the front turrets which really comes into its own on twisty bits.

Car is well equipped and being a Volvo has more airbags and curtains than you can shake a stick at. Consumption is not the best but 40mpg plus is good enough for me. The ride is fine and the seats superbly comfortable; the fully adjustable memory drivers seat is a boon as swmbo is 5ft and needs a seat position that I couldn't even get in the car with lol

I like the body shape with discreet rear spoiler and lower front; neither shout about what is under the bonnet which combined with the box allows interestingly pleasing progress to be made ;)

Lots of toys to keep me entertained plus a quality sound system. Only downsides after collecting last Saturday was the battery failing on Monday (replaced without quibble by the independent dealer), and a non-repairable front o/s puncture on Tuesday that was an unplanned extra cost.

Have found a quality Volvo dealer in Bedford to keep an eye on the car and am now enjoying being both very safe, and rapid, in a 'Q' car sort of way.

So a wistful goodbye to my Rover; oh hang on, well not quite.........I still have the 75 V8 for the weekends with that lovely growl :)

Cheers

R40
Last edited by: R40 on Fri 28 May 10 at 18:43
 Volvo S40 - New (to me) D5 report - Iffy
...This version comes with a strut brace between the front turrets...

Ah, takes me back to Mk II Cortinas.

Back on thread, I also like the look of the S40, and 200bhp of turbodiesel in a relatively small car must equate to lots of grunt.

Volvo S40 - New (to me) D5 report - ....
>> This version comes with a strut brace between the front turrets
>> which really comes into its own on twisty bits.
>>
It's not a strut brace, grab hold of it and you can rock it back and forth. It is there for protection in the event of an accident.

Cracking motors though. Hope you really enjoy it as much as I get real driving pleasure out of my car - S60 D5.
Just keep an eye on the Poly-V belt & tensioner. The tensioner on mine went out of alignment at 58k and threw the belt off the bottom of the run. Could have been nasty and taken the timing belt with it which some people have experienced.
 Volvo S40 - New (to me) D5 report - Auntie Lockbrakes
Nice car, bit of a wolf in sheeps' clothing as you say. I used to have a 2006 V50 D5 and got mid-40s to the gallon which I was pleased with. Tyres for the 17-inch alloys weren't that cheap and wear on the fronts was quite heavy. My Father followed suit and bought an 06 S40 D5 which he loves. Done around 60k miles and faultless, his only gripe being pricey main dealer servicing costs in the West Midlands.
Latest Forum Posts