Motoring Discussion > Alternatives to a Berlingo Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 98

Alternatives to a Berlingo - Bromptonaut
My 2000/X Xantia will have to go after 150k miles. Runs fine but needs at least four if not six suspension spheres, a cambelt, clutch (release bearing is rattling loudly) and there’s also a knock in vicinity of steering linkages.

Putting that lot right is well north of a grand and, even if I squeeze another couple of years out of it not worthwhile.

Plan is for me to inherit Mrs B's 2005/05 1.9D Berlingo Multispace and replace that with a similar car. Immediate front runner is new style Berlingo or Partner HDi 90 with the Modutop (Cit) or Zenith (Pug) glazed roof.

What other options might we have?

Prefer a van style or MPV, sliding rear doors, 5 proper seats as in our 'lingo (no need for more), diesel and manual. Must to be able to swallow all our camping gear and carry 75kg roofbox. Use will be family stuff including ferrying offspring to/from Uni, long distance holidays to France or NW Scotland and Mrs B's peripatetic supply teaching which can rack up miles if she’s sent to Kettering or Corby.

I haven't got Lud's money but up to £16k new or £8-9 at two years old. Either way plan is to run it into ground. Xantia is worth diddly as trade in so it'll go round the bay. Could pay cash (preferable) but might take finance if deal good enough.
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - No FM2R
Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8 CRD TOURING 5DR AUTO NEW SHAPE+SAT/NAV 2009

£8,989 on Autotrader.

We had one, loved it.
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - Zero
Here is one you will need to rule out

www.fiat.co.uk/uk/500L-trekking?status=0

One passed me on the M25 this morning. Horrible disgusting looking thing. Made a multipla look svelte and well proportioned.
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - -
OK then, not many alternatives i would consider and none with sliding doors as far as i know.

Chevrolet Orlando or Captiva.

Latest Kia Carens after say 6 months, presently out of budget i would expect.

Mitsubishi ASX.

Still reckon the later Berly is the best all rounder, unless you could wait till Prius+ prices drop enough, those would be my short list of 2.

Alternatives to a Berlingo - MJM
Bromptonaut,

Can I ask you to put the Xantia for sale on www.frenchcarforum.co.uk please?

I think, from memory that you have a 2ltr HDI Exclusive. The faults and work that you describe need doing won't discourage a diy er from buying it and won't cost a fortune in parts.
The late Exclusive HDIs are sort of sought after if you see what I mean. (Not worth a fortune, though!)

Thanks.

MJM

>> Bromptonaut,
>>
>> Can I ask you to put the Xantia for sale on www.frenchcarforum.co.uk please?
>>
>> I think, from memory that you have a 2ltr HDI Exclusive. The faults and work
>> that you describe need doing won't discourage a diy er from buying it and won't
>> cost a fortune in parts.

Its' a 110Hdi estate, Forte trim not exclusive
A non-hydractive Forte 110bhp estate is still on the "desired" list. From what I remember you've had it serviced regularly and repaired properly when needed.

In reality, it is worth peanuts (the same as my Xantia). Someone on the forum may well make good use of it. A rough estimate for the parts only to repair it is about £400 (From your description of the faults) If the rest of it is in good condition then someone may well think it worth repairing.

MJM
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - Alanovich
Renaults (cough, splutter) seem to depreciate nicely in the first few years....

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201305297001370/

You can do it too with Kangoo.
Fiat Doblo

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201306127244751/
I forgot about Kangoo, bad oversight, another good van based MPV.

Didn't they stop importing them fairly recently?
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - Maisie's Dad
Mazda 5?

>> Didn't they stop importing them fairly recently?
>>

Yes, it seems that Renault have stopped importing proper cars to the UK and replaced the entire range with soft roaders/faux by fours. I think they must be trying to ape Nissan's approach.

:-(
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - Boxsterboy
>> I forgot about Kangoo, bad oversight, another good van based MPV.
>>
>> Didn't they stop importing them fairly recently?
>>

Yes, but perversely Mercedes now sell the Kangoo with a Merc star on the front and include the passenger version in their range. Didn't know white van man was a badge snob!
>> Yes, but perversely Mercedes now sell the Kangoo with a Merc star on the front
>> and include the passenger version in their range.

Never knew that, not as i visit the MB showroom unless absolutely forced to...the bills the bills..:-)

I do wonder what on earth MB are playing at sometimes.
>> Yes, but perversely Mercedes now sell the Kangoo with a Merc star on the front
>> and include the passenger version in their range. Didn't know white van man was a
>> badge snob!

The Mercedes Citan. Looks nice and ticks pleanty of the boxes but £20k for a Kangoo, albeit perhaps with a Merc engine?????

They're having a g raffe shirley.
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - Boxsterboy

>> The Mercedes Citan. Looks nice and ticks pleanty of the boxes but £20k for a
>> Kangoo, albeit perhaps with a Merc engine?????
>>

No, it's a Renault engine (like the rest of the thing is a Renault), but 'retuned' to Mercedes' wishes, apparently.
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - PeterS
It doesn't have sliding doors, but a Skoda Yeti must be in budget I'd have thought? By far the best looking of that type of car IMO
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - Runfer D'Hills
Now you're talking Peter ! What's more, people wouldn't think the 'Naut family were all vegetarian aromatherapists, which they definitely would if they had TWO Berlingos...

:-)
Ah, enter the image obsessed fashion salesman, peddling his message that image is all!

;-)

Some of us don't care what strange fantasies others may have about us based on the vehicle we drive! Some of us may not even be horrified that we may be perceived as vegetarian.

Silverback must have chunky car. Look good. Boy gorilla be impressed, not challenge daddy. Big wheels good for crushing rivals for lady gorilla. Ug.
Bang on !

You don't always *have* to sacrifice style to get practicality... but if you deliberately want a style-free car, is the Skoda Roomster still availability ;-)
Roomster? Scout leader's car...

( Ug )

Alternatives to a Berlingo - legacylad
Erm...330d soft top with 6x4 trailer. No need for a top box then. Any complaints re leg room in the rear tell 'em to catch a train! A folding leccy roof is better than sliding doors.
Perfect for driving down to France monsieur.
Well within budget.
What's not to like?
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - Fenlander
>>>a Skoda Yeti must be in budget I'd have thought? By far the best looking of that type of car IMO

Another vote for the Yeti. When I was inclined to lease again as the C5 Tourer went a Yeti diesel was the most sensible and obvious family choice. No image to live up to just a nice chunky workmanlike vehicle.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 2 Jul 13 at 16:19
Well that explains this model then: www.skoda.co.uk/models/RoomsterScout

In budget too I think - just over £13,200 from DTD in cappuccino beige... :-) Or £12,400 if you forgo the Scout trim and metallic paint ;-)
Last edited by: PeterS on Tue 2 Jul 13 at 16:22
"With Scout floor mats, Scout upholstery and Scout body mouldings"

Brilliant !
>> "With Scout floor mats, Scout upholstery and Scout body mouldings"
>>
>> Brilliant !
>>

It gets better (or should that be worse..) "The stylish interior of the Roomster Scout also includes stainless steel pedal covers..."
Does it come with this preloaded on the stereo?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA1Ynm4cqTg
The Roomster and Yeti are both now on the list. I have trouble identifying them from each other. The yeti is bigger and come with a 4x4 option? (I wouldn't want that though)

The Dolo is interesting. Same body as Berlingo/PArtner but with Fiat engines?

Pitched more as a commercial vehicle than it's PSA siblings (its on the vans rather than cars bit of Fiat's website).
I'd always thought the Yeti was a chunkier Roomster, though the Roomster Scout seems to blur the boundary between the 2 wheel drive Yeti and the Roomster!!

According to Skoda the Yeti is almost exactly the same length, but wider and taller and with a smaller boot...
VW Caddy might be a good one to look at too, Bromp. I hired one in Spain a few years back, 1.6 TDI CR. Very smooth and economical. Loads of room, sliding doors and all that.
I had no idea the Caddy was available as a van with seats type MPV! Basic, though quite pricey, but might be just the thing. It's even called a Maxi :-)
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - WillDeBeest
Mazda 5 has the doors but not the seats - only two-and-a-half in the middle row, plus two more sub-adult seats where the luggage ought to go. You don't see many about and I suspect the reason is that it's not a brilliant package for the kind of families that buy Versos and Picassos by the boatload. It didn't make our shortlist, and not just because I disliked the salesman.
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - Fenlander
>>>The Roomster and Yeti are both now on the list. I have trouble identifying them from each other.

You wouldn't if you saw them next to each other... the Yeti is inoffensive and chunky... the Roomster is narrower, dumpy and looks just a bit odd.
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - corax
>> You don't see
>> many about and I suspect the reason is that it's not a brilliant package for
>> the kind of families that buy Versos and Picassos by the boatload.

And yet HJ reckoned it was incredibly comfortable with good seats and driving position coupled with a good ride.

C3 Picasso is too small I presume and flash compared with something like a Berlingo or Roomster which both mix utilitarian and comfort very well.

I don't know what the Roomsters are like with the more modern common rail diesel but the earlier engines were very noisy in that body - might be a shock after the refined Citroen units.
Apologies for the leg pulling above Bromp ! But, have you considered a Qashqai? As you know we've had two of them and they seem pretty reliable. Not a murmer of bother actually. Might be a bit more comfortable for the long distance stuff? Dunno. No sliding doors on those of course. Grand C-Max is another thought. Had one of those as a renter in Italy last year and it felt great to drive. That has sliding doors if that's a preference.
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - Armel Coussine
Dacia Duster well thought of as a roomy, no-frills, practical motor, available with or without 4wd and good value.

I don't like sliding doors. If something gets strained or flexed they are never the same again.

On the VW Microbus buses used in Lagos in the old days, they used to unhook the front end of the sliding door so that it could flap wide, with the conductor clinging to the end of it shouting the bus's destination, as it and its rivals jostled to get closest to the riot-like rush-hour bus queue on the pavement... twenty people in them sometimes. A gritty, sweaty mode of travel, but inexpensive. Strong things those Microbuses.
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - WillDeBeest
And yet HJ reckoned it was incredibly comfortable with good seats and driving position coupled with a good ride.

HJ is a sixtysomething shortbottom with a silly hat, who keeps his wife in Thailand and appears to have no recent experience of the realities of family travel or the all-trumping need for space. I took family and tape measure to showrooms; if we all fitted, I started to ask about test drives - and I'm in the minority of buyers that might care how it is to drive!
>>HJ is a sixtysomething shortbottom with a silly hat, who keeps his wife in Thailand and appears to have no recent experience of the realities of family travel or the all-trumping need for space

A very pleasant chap, as it happens, who has opinions, some of which are rubbish and some of which are not. However, he is at least unwavering and consistent, even when it would be better if he was not.

As a rule I find him consistent and frank, although that's not always the same as correct, so he's a reasonable measuring stick. IMO.

But he is short, and it is a silly hat.

However, I cannot imagine spending so much money on a family car without doing exactly as WdB says. That's a lot of money to spend without checking it out fully.
www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motoringvideo/9587393/Honest-John-what-I-drive.html

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motoringvideo/9587196/Honest-John-what-gets-my-goat.html

For those who don't know him, this might give you a clue.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 2 Jul 13 at 18:27
www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motoringvideo/9611723/Honest-Johns-dream-garage.html
>> HJ is a sixtysomething shortbottom with a silly hat,

He claims he's average height, whatever that is.
Well its a lot less than 6ft, which is what I am.
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - Gromit
The Yeti doesn't have 3 full size seats in the back - its 2 full size and a narrower swab between them. Is this a problem for the OP?
I guess it would be if the middle passenger had big feet. Which is sort of ironic.
>> The Yeti doesn't have 3 full size seats in the back - its 2 full
>> size and a narrower swab between them. Is this a problem for the OP?

Thanks Grom, that would rule it out. Too many journeys would involve both adult offspring and a.n. other. Even the youngest of my neices is nearly 10.
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - ....
No one has mentioned any of Henry's MAX models. B & C have sliding doors. B might be tight for three rugby playing types in the back but you might get a surprise what space there is. 1 litre three pot petrol might surprise & delight too.
Ahem, cough ^
Apologies, saw your C-MAX reference on second skim. Need my reading glasses when using my phone.
No worries ! I expect Bromp is learning to knit tofu or something while flicking through Berlingo brochures anyway...

:-))
>> No one has mentioned any of Henry's MAX models.

We quite like Brompton, he's a decent stick, standing for UKIP in the general election too apparently..;)

You wouldn't really expect us to recommend one those things to a good egg would you, it would probably stall every time the good Lady B pulls away, the DMF will fail and like its siblings will require complete dismantling of the entire front half of the car to put a new one in.

Come now GB. A Ford would only just be run in at 150,000. As for the stalling thing, well y'know, I honestly can't remember stalling anything since 1976. What you do is, sort of "balance" the accelerator and clutch y'see and it kind of doesn't stall... A bit of knack to it granted but it'll come in time.

:-))
Hmm, haven't your last 100k miles been driven in auto Diesels Hump?..;)

Mind you even my auto lorry stalls now and again, see even the lorry hates me...its them Jerrmins, never forgiven us for the war.
>> Hmm, haven't your last 100k miles been driven in auto Diesels Hump?..;)

Seem to recall that his last 150k miles hasn't been behind a blue oval either. Typical salesman, count your fingers after you shake hands with him.
Ah well y'see that's where those of you wearing ye olde smartio pantios would be wrong ! I had a C-Max manual diesel on hire last year in Italy. Did a few hundred miles in that, well, those Km things anyway ( without stalling ) and a very pleasing thing to drive it was too.

So there. Insert that in pipe and ignite why don't you?

>> So there. Insert that in pipe and ignite why don't you?

Meanwhile over in sunny Sicily....''hay mario theesa burned outa DMFa, eesa theesa the one the jocka gringo ruineda the lasta time?''

>> Meanwhile over in sunny Sicily....''hay mario theesa burned outa DMFa, eesa theesa the one the
>> jocka gringo ruineda the lasta time?''
>>
>> :-)
>>

Jocko Gringo has a nice ring to it. I think a change of username is in order :)
That's something "-ist". Haven't quite worked out what manner of "-ist" it is but I'll ponder on it and decide whether to be offended. Or maybe not...

>> >> No one has mentioned any of Henry's MAX models.
>>
>> We quite like Brompton, he's a decent stick, standing for UKIP in the general election
>> too apparently..;)
>>
Being an outdoorsy type I thought he'd appreciate the diving through his car challenge.
Thanks for the ongoing suggestions. I followed The Lad's (female) best mate's Mum down the road tonight and noticed her Roomie was the Scout version. I'll ask her about it. They must be Skoda devotees 'cos last car was an Octavia.

Only Ford that floated my boat was a Mondeo but that changes the game plan as Mrs B will not want a large estate unless she fits in it, and can see out of it, much better than Xantia where she's far too close to wheel (short legs).

The new Tourneo looks interesting but not available yet.
>>I followed The Lad's (female) best mate's Mum down the road tonight

That's more usually called "stalking".
>> >>I followed The Lad's (female) best mate's Mum down the road tonight
>>
>> That's more usually called "stalking".

This got me thinking about how often I see this car on same piece of road, probably about twice a month.

Suspect we're both creatures of habit. She probably leaves work at same time everyday and nips into Sainburys for stuff. I'm on same train from London every night then drive home so chances of paths crossing at Sainbo's exit are quite high.
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - PhilW
"My 2000/X Xantia will have to go after 150k miles."

That's sad B - my 2000W Xantia Exclusive is still going strong though I do very few miles in it these days (only 1500 last year!!).

"Putting that lot right is well north of a grand"

Heck of a lot cheaper than a new car!!

And just think how comfortable the Xant is! And for an "old" car how economical and smooth that HDi and suspension are. Gave a lift to a colleague whose last two cars were a Disco and a 320d the other day. "Jeez, this goes well doesn't it " he said. "Yep" I said, "and a bit cheaper than the £30k you paid for the Disco since it's prob worth about £300"
Not that I'm saying an aged Xantia is really comparable to a 3 year old Disco (except it doesn't break down as often!!!!!)

Get a newer Berlingo, or how about a C6 to stick with proper Cits (oops, no sliding doors and not quite van style - but to get to NW Scotland and France............)
Last edited by: PhilW on Tue 2 Jul 13 at 22:10
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - PhilW
Just run in
www.parkers.co.uk/cars/for-sale/search/citroen/c6/saloon-2006/usedcfs-313704532667881/

I'm tempted!!
32mpg though. That's rubbish. Nice otherwise. Very nice. Suppose if you don't want to go anywhere in it the mpg wouldn't matter.
That advert is telling porkie pies about the C6's road fund licence band. Yes, it's band L, but that band isn't £280. It's £460. Shame on you, Parkers and your advertiser.

I considered getting one recently and ruled it out due to there being no variant in an acceptable bracket.
>> Just run in
>> www.parkers.co.uk/cars/for-sale/search/citroen/c6/saloon-2006/usedcfs-313704532667881/
>>
>> I'm tempted!!

If there'd been an estate car variant (a la CX or XM) it would have been worth looking at. The tax band is eye watering though and it's only going onw way.
>> Just run in
>> www.parkers.co.uk/cars/for-sale/search/citroen/c6/saloon-2006/usedcfs-313704532667881/
>>
>> I'm tempted!!

Have you seen the VED for them? Eye watering.

EDIT - Read other posts before posting corax. DOH!
Last edited by: corax on Wed 3 Jul 13 at 17:45
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - RichardW
Mine is very similar to Bromp's - heck if his is Silver, then almost identical! It's approach 150k now, still does 45mpg, no oil loss (leaks or burning), clutch is still nice and smooth, still goes well, and doesn't smoke. Next week I will have put 100k on it in just under 6 years and it continues to rack up 15k / year. I still like it, and can't think what I would replace it with, but a Berlingo is probably near the top of the list. Mind you, it's needed a bit of TLC in the last few months, including it's only ride home on the back of wagon when the LP fuel pump packed in (original as far as I know). Also had to change the (original) crank pulley last week, weld the exhaust again, and there was a debarcle involving a corroded rear suspension strut which failed when I tried to change the spheres - getting it out turned into a trial....

I can't see that B's is due a cambelt - it's 10 years or 100k (although I recall this one had an incident with the original belt). The clutch is a bit of a pain on the 110 HDi, but no DMF to spoil the party. There are 2 rattles that develop - one (which I think goes away as soon as the clutch is pressed) is the input bearing or something, and nothing to worry about. The other is the release bearing, and this is rather more serious, as the bearing can let go of the pressure plate (it's a pull clutch), which in turn can eject the piston from the slave cylinder - which is part of a sealed system, that is a bit of a trial to bleed.... So if the clutch rattle is the 'good' one, ignore the cambelt, stick some new spheres on it (although check for corrosion on the cylinders!), and it's good to go for another 50k!!
Update.

Xantia's ride got rougher so it was booked into specialist yesterday. Rear spheres shot to pont of being dangerous - remember the old safety film about worn shock absorbers? Fronts are out of spec too. Also needs a couple of gaiters and a tie rod in steering.

Noticed it was starting to lose oil and apparently most of the loss is stuck to the cambelt.

Just fettling the spheres to keep it safe would be £380. Like the super pumas it's now grounded!!

Off to the Cit garage this aft to look at and talk turkey over a 115HDi Berlingo VTR - apparently there is one in stock in whole country with that spec and a modutop roof! On basis of advertised prices should be able to close the (cash) deal at about £14500.

Change from 90 to 115 is on account of Mrs B and I thinking of joining the shed draggers - next purchase may be a 2-3 berth caravan - but that's for another thread.
And the perfect match for a 'lingo has to be an Eriba

www.hymer.com/cms/en/caravans/Touring/360-view.html
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - sherlock47
Seems a lot of money!

My brandnew XTR 90 eHDi (metallic)only cost £12700 in February. But no Modutop - I like the headroom and there are plenty of Citroenesque storage spaces.

The satans gearbox is still performing well at 6000m - I cannot recall the last time when a gearchange was anything less than appropriate! (It coped with Alps , hairpins and unsurfaced roads without a murmur of discontent).
>> Seems a lot of money!
>>
>> My brand new XTR 90 eHDi (metallic)only cost £12700 in February. But no Modutop - I
>> like the headroom and there are plenty of Citroenesque storage spaces.

Well we test drove a bog standard 115 XTR this aft at local dealer which trades heavily on it's family firm background. Lovely car and subject to sorting our questions on caravan weight we want it.

However, even after having dropped the Modutop as too much complication their best price is £15,800. List price less a £1k allowance and a very small shift on their part as a discount.

I can only assume they think I'm desperate.

Perrys in MK have this model on offer at £13,295; tinyurl.com/p53er9l . Price is possibly plus £500 for the 'any colour but white' paint charge but not anything else. I thought the guys at local dealership came over as honest and sincere. The Perry's guys were slightly slimy and too assertive - I don't expect, in an unpressured phone conversation, to hear the words 'if you'll let me finish Mr B'.

I'd happily pay an extra £200 or so for goodwill of a dealer who's going to get any warranty stuff (but servicing too) but if they think I'm paying £2k for that then errr NO!!.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 28 Aug 13 at 21:28
:-( Advertise it over on FCF, some nutter will take it off your hands probably!

Check out the towing weight of the Berlingo 1.6HDi if you want to drag a shed - the figure for the 1.6 HDi Picasso is very low compared to other engined models - I suspect due to the somewhat fragile nature of the DMF.....
>>>the figure for the 1.6 HDi Picasso is very low compared to other engined models - I suspect due to the somewhat fragile nature of the DMF.....<<<

and I think that you will find the Picasso has a lot less metal in it cf the Berlingo :) It certainly feels a lot stiffer!
Max towing weight is 1300/735 (braked/unbraked). That's more than current Berlingo. Xantia was 1500.

Tow hitch download max is 70kg for 'lingo.
I looked that up too.... I wonder if it might be a mis-print in the C4 Picasso brochure, but the 1.6 HDi was only something like 1000kg vs other variants that were 1500kg or so.
>> I looked that up too.... I wonder if it might be a mis-print in the
>> C4 Picasso brochure, but the 1.6 HDi was only something like 1000kg vs other variants
>> that were 1500kg or so.
>>

Sorry I should have made it clear that I was comparing with the 'old' Picasso.
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - Pat
You really need to think about a bigger engine and heavier car with a 90Kg towing hitch weight Bromp.

We ended up chasing cars for caravans and it's far easier to get a suitable car and then find a caravan, but a 1600 really is not suitable.

Pat
You really need to think about a bigger engine and heavier car with a 90Kg
>> towing hitch weight Bromp.
>>
>> We ended up chasing cars for caravans and it's far easier to get a suitable
>> car and then find a caravan, but a 1600 really is not suitable.
>>
>> Pat

What's your caravan Pat? We're looking for something quite small as we need to be able to handle it on site with just two of us.

See lots of people in France towing with Berlingos but OTOH using standard calculators suggests many 'vans are overweight. And the Dutch are maniacs for big van/small car combos.

We really liked the current 'lingo which for all it's 1600cc is also 115PS - more than my Xantia was.

What would you suggest as a heavier car?
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - Pat
Have a look on here Bromp

www.whattowcar.com/basic_index.php

There's loads of information and good advice and you can see what sort of vans would tow well behind the Berlingo.

You need to be looking at the Kerb weight of the car as a starting point and yours appears to be 1410Kg, which is higher than I thought it would be.

For good handling and performance the van shouldn't be anymore than 85% of this weight.

The figure for a van to 'match' it with is the MTPLM.

Any van up to 1200kg will be OK and there are a lot of good ones around....Bailey Ranger GT60 as an example.

Our van is a Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia which has an MTPLM of 1490 and behind the Mondeo gives a match of 93% and still handles very well BUT we do have to pack it very carefully to get the nose weight correct and to maintain a steady course down hills:)

It does help that we are both used to towing trailers and know immediately if it 'feels' wrong and it's a perfect excuse for not taking too much on holiday.

It suits us as we eat out apart from breakfast, so there are no food items to cart around.

I refuse to use a melamine wine glass though!

My caution stems from experience, though you two may not be the same as us.

What usually happens is that you hook up your first van and ether love it or hate it.

If you hate it then it will be sold on quickly.

Most absolutely love it and end up looking at a better equipped van (more weight) and going up from the base model to a few more luxuries (more weight), then wouldn't an awning be handy? (more weight...need a bigger car!)

Hope this helps;)

Pat

Last edited by: pda on Thu 29 Aug 13 at 05:31
C4 not Xsara - it's a much more substantial motor than the Xsara!
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - Mapmaker
Citroen with list of faults longer than your arm needs scrapping. Why not replace it with a car that will last?! Something from the Far East?

I had a Renault like that once...
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - Roger.
Like this?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201307157818260

Alternatives to a Berlingo - Dutchie
With the C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDI.You should be able to tow a caravan up to 1400kg.

Ours is the 6 Gear Manual.
>>Citroen with list of faults longer than your arm needs scrapping<<

The parts to repair the Xantia will be about £180 depending upon which gaiters are shot.

The spheres will take about an hour tops to change all 4. The gaiters and track rod about another hour depending upon which gaiter it is.

I don't know what other faults it has.
"The spheres will take about an hour tops to change all 4."

That's what I thought... and indeed it wasn't far off. It was a pity about the 10 hours or so on top of that to remove and repair the rear suspension strut that decided to fall apart when the sphere was unscrewed...
>>It was a pity about the 10 hours or so on top of that to remove and repair the rear suspension strut that decided to fall apart when the sphere was unscrewed...<<

A problem with the retaining pin if my memory serves me correctly.
"A problem with the retaining pin if my memory serves me correctly. "

That'll be the one. It wasn't keen on being removed from is resting place after 12 years! I used to think that the replacement time / cost ratio for the clutch clip was the worst, but the clip at £1.36 (but actual value about 10p) and 10 hours more than takes the prize :-))

Which isn't helping Bromp with his replacement, but never mind!!
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - T junction
time / cost ratio for the clutch clip was the worst, but the clip at £1.36 (but actual value about 10p) and 10 hours more than takes the prize :-))

Yep! Had one of those let go in the middle of Cheltenham. The AA towed me off the road and helpfully went and got a new one from Citroen intending to effect the repair, came back with the part but the stores man had wised him up on the fitting. We soon moved on to Plan B, arrangements for getting the car back home.
>> Citroen with list of faults longer than your arm needs scrapping. Why not replace it
>> with a car that will last?! Something from the Far East?
>>
>> I had a Renault like that once...

It's 13 years old and has 150k on it all of them driven by me and family. I could sort it but it's no longer worthwhile. I doubt a Jap car of that age would be any cheaper to keep on the road.

I also want my car to have some character. Drove a Nissan Almera once - hire car a Cork Airport. Did the job but if was a sandwich it'd be processed cheese on a white slice.

I prefer a bit of spice in my lunch.
 Alternatives to a Berlingo - legacylad
Sell you my 330 soft top. It has a Westfalia detachable tow bar fitted, and pulls my trailer with cement mixer, sand & cement onboard. The only downside is you forget it's attached and tank along overtaking all & sundry on the dual carriageway.
Only been pulled once, and it was a Traffic Officer whom I know. Slapped wrist.
I have absolutely no idea what the towing capacity is, but it seems to pull alright up to 80. Then I change up to 4th.
You did say 'character'.
Deal done with Perrys MK at £13,800 in metallic grey. About right for 115 engine I think. Might have been another £200 discount if I'd got really difficult but when you plan to keep the car until 2023 there's a limit to what's worthwhile.

A side trip to the local Caravan dealer convinced us there are a reasonable range of 2 berth vans matching a 'lingo for max AUW and nose weight. Ex works weight + 150 kilos should easily match needs of retired lightweight campers.

It's a big car and we can redistribute load (eg the awning and Bromptons) from van to car.
Nice one - I would like a Berlingo as replacement for my Xantia when the time comes I think - doubt I can afford a new one though!

Make sure you keep regular oil changes on the 1.6 engine, using the correct spec low saps / ash oil, and getting it drained out of the bottom. Check that the injector bolts are tight as well after each service. Get the fuel filter changed every other service. Oh, and DRIVE it - the DPF doesn't like pussy footing around!!
Xantia on FCF for a few days. If it' doen't shift there then it'll be on e-bay. Short term insurance won't be cheap so I'd hope to be rid by w/e after next.
>> Make sure you keep regular oil changes on the 1.6 engine, using the correct spec
>> low saps / ash oil, and getting it drained out of the bottom.

Agreed!

>> Check that the injector bolts are tight as well after each service.

Never heard of that

>> Get the fuel filter changed every other service. Oh, and DRIVE it -
>> the DPF doesn't like pussy footing around!!

Never heard of that either as our two C4GPs have both had DPFs + GB's favourite all time gearbox (EGS) being driven on local short journeys. Ours gets the beans when I drive it but being the summer I'm more inclined to take my motorbike, then my D5, then my mountain bike, then the road going Citroën yacht. Fine car that it is, it's not my choice.
Only difference I've found between a Euro IV and Euro V diesel is stop/start and revised gear programming. Not sure what Euro VI brings to the party.
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 31 Aug 13 at 19:37
>> >> Check that the injector bolts are tight as well after each service.
>>

Isn't that on Focus? injector seals leak resulting in blocked oilways and lunched turbos on regular basis.

Not aware of these problems on French cars fitted with the motor, if you must have a Ford i suppose you must expect such things.

Don't remind about that gearbox from hell Gmac, but you'll be pleased to hear that after 88k kms my lorry's automanual hell box has stopped insisting its driven in auto and accepts that i do know best without protest..;)
Beaten into submission eh ! We never have ours long enough to get to that stage...

You'll be pleased to hear my 9 year old D5 with almost 100,000 miles made it down to Italy and back without a missed beat. Traveled down through Switzerland overnight so had no idea of the activity in the nearby "rest sites" or the scenery. Travelling back through Austria during the day, crikey ! those hills are high.
P.S. Anyone thinking of travelling South: Swiss vignette 33€ for 12 months, Austria 8,30€ for 10 days but then the burgers get you south of Innsbruck for another 8€ something or other each way. If you are going for more than 10 days give Austria a miss and use Switzerland.
My lads just traded his petrol S type for an 07 S60 with the D5 in it, seems a decent well cared for motor, came shod on full set of nearly new Bridgestones and good service history so all looks good.
Latest Forum Posts