Motoring Discussion > BMW - Test Drive of new 3-series GT
Thread Author: Londoner Replies: 16

BMW - Test Drive of new 3-series GT - Londoner
The new BMW 3-series Gran Tourismo was launched on Saturday, so I went for a test drive to see if I liked it, and if so to find out what deals were available. This was a 320d Sport model with a "proper" automatic gearbox. As it happens, I did like the car, but (partially since the car is brand new) I was not able to swing a deal.

The car is much more impressive in the flesh than in pictures. It's very handsome without "showing off". It sits a bit higher than a regular 3-series so that getting in and out of it is easy. This is a particular benefit to old folks like me.

HOW DOES IT GO?
Brilliantly. Always in the correct gear and shifts were smooth as silk (did I mention that it was a proper automatic?). No lag in pick up whatsoever. The electric steering was a tad light, but very positive in its effect, and with good feedback. The car simply flows round corners. It was, of course, rear-wheel drive (in the BMW tradition) but I was told that Four wheel drive will be introduced later. The brakes were perfect. Terrific stopping power but progressive. They give wonderful control.

There is a standard feature where you can switch modes between "Eco", "Comfort","Sport". This is not a gimmick. The car really does take on a different character when you change modes. Even the shift points on the automatic gearbox change (did I mention that it was a proper automatic?). It's like having your cake and eating it!

HOW COMFORTABLE IS IT?
A revelation for a BMW. They have deliberately set the car up to be more comfortable than the regular 3-series, albeit losing a fraction of the renowned handling prowess. In comfort mode, with 19" wheels and run-flat tyres, it was serene and unruffled. Much improved on my old E91!

The seats were comfy too, but the manual adjustment that comes as standard is not fit for purpose. Quite frankly it would be unacceptable on a £10k car, never mind a premium barge such as this.

HOW DESIRABLE IS IT?
This is very much a matter of personal taste, but its main competitor the Audi A5 Sportback is much more sleek and sporty looking. The dashboard is still rather minimalist looking, though the controls do feel great to operate. The MMI screen is perched on top of the dash as if it were an after-market add-on. I don't like it myself but BMW are not the only offenders here, and Audi & Mercedes are doing the same with their latest models.

The BMW badge is still a bit of a "marmite" thing, but at least it isn't as poor an image these days as Audi.

HOW PRACTICAL IS IT?
Very! It actually has more boot space than the Estate version, both with the seats up and with seats down! It's a nice rectangular shape, too. The tailgate operates electrically. This is just a gimmick to me.

The rear seats are very spacious, and feature reclining backrests as standard. Four large adults could cross a continent comfortably in this car.

The optional rear-view camera in the test car was excellent, and coupled with the perfect control from the automatic gearbox (did I mention that it was a proper automatic?) it made parking a doddle.

HOW IS THE EQUIPMENT?
Disappointing, to be honest. This car costs about the same as a 5-series yet has much less standard kit. Missing items include leather seats and parking sensors.

A couple of personal niggles remain from when I last owned a BMW - the fiddly indicator stalk and the traditional BMW Orange illumination of the dials.

I know that many on the forum are not fans of the electo-mechanical parking brake (though I love it), and they will be pleased that BMW have retained a traditional hand brake.

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Too much (at least for the time being). Spec the car up against an equivalent Audi A5 and you are looking at more than 4 grand extra (and Audi dealers will be giving bigger discounts as well). The BMW sits in 2/3 insurance groups higher as well. MPG and VED are about the same, but BMW servicing is cheaper (helped by the £450 service package offer on purchasing the car).

OVERALL VERDICT.
Classy. A worthwhile alternative for those of us who are not estate people, but find saloons too limiting. A great car spoiled by its pricing. (But I still want one)

STOP PRESS.
Audi have launched a counter offensive by offering the A5 at LESS THAN LIST PRICE and effectively 0% finance.
Ah! The value of competition.
 BMW - Test Drive of new 3-series GT - WillDeBeest
Good work, Londers. I saw one of these in Paris the other week and it is certainly a handsome beast, far more so than the ugly-duckling 5GT (which I've always secretly fancied, incidentally.). Nice to see some action in the big hatchback market for those of us immune to the cult of the Mondeo.
 BMW - Test Drive of new 3-series GT - idle_chatterer
Interesting review Londoner, IIRC you went from an unloved E91 to the A5 so I imagine your views to be well informed.

I've seen one or two of these on the roads in Australia and to my eyes they're another 'niche too far', not as bad as the proliferation of Mini derivatives I would concede but as pointless as a 5 series GT IMHO. But then again I don't really 'get' the A5 5Dr either if I'm honest (whilst I do like the A5 2Dr and related A4). I also confess to having a preference for the estate/touring/avant derivatives of most models unlike you.

I'm also (contrarian on this forum) a fan of DSG, well I think mine drives and maneuvers just like a t/c auto, but what do I know....
 BMW - Test Drive of new 3-series GT - R.P.
My father in law has been to look at one - reckons it's too long for his garage - shame really 'cos I reallyhalf fancied his 328 which I probably would have bought as a hand-me-down...:-) Not sure on the looks of the GT - yet to see one in the metal.
 BMW - Test Drive of new 3-series GT - rtj70
I saw the 3 series GT a couple of month or so back when the lease company got a load of manufacturers to the office. I'm not sure of the styling either. Better than the 5 series GT but not that nice. I think the X4 is better looking if you want something a bit different.

I suppose I should have tried driving it :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 18 Jun 13 at 13:00
 BMW - Test Drive of new 3-series GT - Victorbox
I wonder if Andrew English ever likes any car he test drives? tinyurl.com/c8you6m
His characterization of potential 3GT customers as 'charmless' is especially rich. Almost enough to make me think I ought to be one.

It's a big old thing for a 'medium size' car, though - almost as long as my LEC and heavy with it. I can't help suspecting that, for similar money, a 5 Touring would be a better family car, as well as depreciating less.
Should some cheapies around after a while then...I'm waming to it.
 BMW - Test Drive of new 3-series GT - Boxsterboy
The run-flats ad no spare would rule it out for me. I don't suppose proper tyres are an option, are they?
Depends what space is in the boot, I suppose. I wonder if they're going to make an M version...
 BMW - Test Drive of new 3-series GT - Manatee
I find it difficult to believe that "There's also a fair old height to the load bed, at almost 3ft". The Outlander's is only 23".

But I wish the Outlander would do 57mpg.
 BMW - Test Drive of new 3-series GT - Londoner
>> I find it difficult to believe that "There's also a fair old height to the
>> load bed, at almost 3ft". The Outlander's is only 23".
>>
So do I. I'm fairly short, yet the load bed didn't seem that high to me.

P.S. Andrew English is a prat.
"Or, as I put it to Ingo Lasslop, the head of production management for BMW's 1- and 3-series, this is a jacked-up, stretched 3-series hatch for those who find the saloon too sporting, the estate too useful, the coupé too good looking and the X3 SUV too able off-road. "
No, Andrew, it's for those who find the saloon too limiting, the estate not good-looking enough, and the coupe too uncomfortable, and don't want a Chelsea Tractor to pose at the school gates.

"A car for folk who can afford but don't want a 3-series, then. "
Yes, Andrew, it is VERY much a 3-series. Sorry mate, looking down your nose at hatchbacks is so very "last century".
Last edited by: Londoner on Tue 18 Jun 13 at 22:40
>>I wonder if Andrew English ever likes any car he test drives? tinyurl.com/c8you6m

He seems to like the new Suzuki SX4.

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car-manufacturers/suzuki/10121150/Suzuki-SX4-S-Cross-review.html
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 18 Jun 13 at 22:47
 BMW - Test Drive of new 3-series GT - Dog
""Suzuki had planned to call the original model the Aerio until it discovered it was Grecian for breaking wind"

:o}
Grecian?? I wonder what other lost verbal gems lurk in the Telegraph Style Guide. Wireless? Negro? Inches?

The masthead should carry the subtitle 'I have a message from another time'.
I did wonder why Greek didn't do the job, and whether it only meant "fart" in Ancient Greece.

The online Mail articles often strike me as having the style, language, even poor spelling. and occasional malapropisms of 419 scam emails.

Maybe they are written in "centres" offshore, cheaply mass produced like those original oil paintings in the sales that kept popping up in church halls a few years ago.

Maybe Andrew English is outsourcing too.
 BMW - Test Drive of new 3-series GT - Number_Cruncher
>>Maybe Andrew English is outsourcing too.

He should certainly stay away from technical comment, because he clearly doesn't have any idea.
Latest Forum Posts