Motoring Discussion > Car hating council nomination Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Snakey Replies: 7

Car hating council nomination - Snakey
Can I just nominate Newcastle and Gateshead council for the 2010 'Car Hating Council' award.

Putting major roadworks on the Whitemare pool roundabout (locally known as the nightmare at Whitemare) at the same time as the alternative cross-Tyne route through the Tyne Tunnel is also choked with roadworks.

And then, adding roadworks all along the Felling Bypass to make sure you're stuck. This is exactly 1 year after having had the same road choked with traffic due to the creation of a bus lane (which is now nearly always empty)

Thanks a lot guys - pity you decided to do nothing for 20 years and then do it all at once
:-(
 Car hating council nomination - Badwolf
Sounds like Liverpool City Council have been taking lessons from N&G Council...

They're currently making one of the biggest and most major one way streets in the city (Dale Street) two-way in preparation for the demolition of the Churchill Way flyover. I really cannot see how the traffic flow will cope with this as it's not just Dale Street that will have to be changed - all the roads leading to it, and coming off it are one way too. I guess that my job will become even more difficult once the works are complete...

Map for those unfamiliar with the area: tinyurl.com/38xkb9l
 Car hating council nomination - Cpt. Flack
London Borough of Hounslow. Assisted by Transport for London.

Crazy traffic signal phasing, creating traffic and an epidemic proliferation of speed humps. Hounslow spent their entire years budget a few years ago on tarmac and bricks for the humps and the entire supply of traffic lights for London..... allegedly ;-)
 Car hating council nomination - zookeeper
nottingham city council are still going to charge drivers who park their cars at work that was going to fund the expansion of the tram system
the tram expansion has been canelled but the levy on parking will remain in place
that gets my nomination
 Car hating council nomination - hobby
Worcestershire for reducing perfectly good dual carriageways into single lane 50mph crawlers...
 Car hating council nomination - smokie
"perfectly good dual carriageways into single lane 50mph crawler"

Can't disagree, but so long as you can maintain 50 the overall journey times isn't too badly affected unless you are travelling a long distance...
 Car hating council nomination - DP
Oxford, without a doubt. Problem is, they had this attitude long before it became politically fashionable.

- Oxford had one of the first speed cameras in the UK.
- The car parking prices aren't too far removed from Central London's.
- Poorly signed, confusingly marked "no car" areas enforced by instant fine generating cameras. SWMBO was caught on her last trip in, despite having local knowledge.
- One of the first to reduce huge swathes of NSLs to 50's and even 40's, enforced by cameras. My late grandfather even had an SP30 on his license in his 70's. And the cynics among us would always point out the tiny, sparsely located signs, and the cameras hidden behind trees.

My home town, and I love it, but I'm so glad I'm not a motorist there any more.
 Car hating council nomination - Snakey
I'll also nominate Durham (where I live) for:

- introducing a congestion charge, in a one horse town this is ludicrous!
- putting bus lanes on already busy roads, making the roads even busier, but the bus lanes remain empty for 99% of the time
- allowing NCP to 'own' Durham in return for some filthy lucre
- not fixing a single pothole from the winter damage

You'd think they don't want us to drive our cars or something!
Latest Forum Posts