Motoring Discussion > Walon Ltd, Portbury Dock Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rhubarb Replies: 4

Walon Ltd, Portbury Dock - Rhubarb
Hi

I'm hoping some of the car-transporter folk can help me here please.

We've been to look at a car today that has Suzuki UK in Milton Keynes as the registered keeper. The initial dealer stamp is shown as Walon Ltd, Royal Portbury Dock who from a quick Google seem to be an import facility. Can anyone tell me if this is likely to have been a hire/lease car? It seems strange that an import firm has put the car on the road. The car is in very good condition except for few scuffs on the plastic inside the rear hatch. The garage tell me it would have been used by a Suzuki UK employee.

Any info appreciated.

Andy.
Last edited by: Rhubarb on Wed 26 May 10 at 12:29
 Walon Ltd, Portbury Dock - mikeyb
Cant answer your specific question, but I drive past portbury every day and it is the port for suzuki. Walon trucks are often going in and out but not sure why they would have registered it.
 Walon Ltd, Portbury Dock - -
Hi Rhubarb, it would have been PDI'd by Walon now Autologic at the Portbury import centre, if it was specified with certain extras they would have been fitted there too.

I doubt it would have been a hire car, i can't recall seeing a Suzi on hire fleets, cue numerous posters that have hired them, they normally come out of there unregistered so could be any one of a dozen reasons.
 Walon Ltd, Portbury Dock - Rhubarb
Hi all. Thanks to both for your replies. I was just a bit puzzled as the V5 has Suzuki HQ as the registered keeper and it is on Northampton plate and yet it had a Walon stamp on the PDI page. Thanks again for your replies.
 Walon Ltd, Portbury Dock - Dave_
It's most likely to have been used by Suzuki UK head office staff I reckon - looks like they put all the paperwork through the Northampton VRO but physically PDI'd the car in Bristol. They're by no means the only ones - a lot of low-mileage, one owner FIATs have registrations starting W- from Bristol, similar Renaults bear H- registrations from Southampton and VWs O- or K- registrations from Milton Keynes (midway between Oxon and Beds).

This again goes to show up the arbitrary system of vehicle registration we have in this country, where the district of first registration can frequently bear no relation to the vehicle's provenance or indeed current residence.
Latest Forum Posts