Motoring Discussion > UK to Copenhagen and back - fly or drive it? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 13

UK to Copenhagen and back - fly or drive it? - Auntie Lockbrakes
I'm planning a fortnight back in the UK in the autumn and will probably rent a car for the full 2 weeks at approx. 240 quid for a Focus (early quotes).

I then need to go to/from Denmark for a couple of days. Options:

1) Budget flights, requiring a 120-mile 3am drive to Stansted or Gatwick plus 2 day's airport parking,

or

2) Eurotunnel for 42 quid each way plus of course the fuel for 600 miles each way from Calais to Denmark. I've driven it in the past so I know what to expect.

I can tolerate the drive. I am looking for the cheapest way. Am I mad to consider driving it?

Less worries about strikes, fog, volcanic ash etc by road of course. What would you do?

UK to Copenhagen and back - fly or drive it? - Alanovich
Going on the experience of many people I know who recently drove to Hamburg from Calais (to get to a football match), there are extensive roadworks on the route through Germany currently which can lead to big delays. Some took over 10 hours to reach Hamburg, so the drive to Copenhagen is going to take up an entire day at least.
 UK to Copenhagen and back - fly or drive it? - Bagpuss
As Alanovic mentions, there are presently extensive roadworks to the south of Hamburg on the A7 autobahn around the Elb Tunnel which can cause serious delays. If you're going through this part of Germany (and you have to to get from France to Denmark) then you should either go late at night or very early in the morning. An alternative route would be around Hamburg to the east towards Kiel, but this is longer and not all autobahn.

Once in Denmark, don't forget to budget for the Storebaelt Bridge across to Copenhagen (ca. 35 Euros each way).
If you're starting out from oop northish, how about thinking of taking a DFDS freight ferry from Immingham to Cuxhaven or Esbjerg? Might be cheaper.
Last edited by: Alanović on Wed 26 May 10 at 11:00
 UK to Copenhagen and back - fly or drive it? - helicopter
Or if you are further south there are car ferries from Harwich to Esbjerg - around 18 hours trip as I recall.
 UK to Copenhagen and back - fly or drive it? - hjd
Do you need the car in Copenhagen?
Depends whether you must have the cheapest route or the fastest.
For non-flying see www.seat61.com/Denmark.htm
Thanks for the input so far.

It's actually more complicated than my original post - I'd need to make the trip TWICE, probably in successive weekends, and pick-up/drop-off a couple of passengers. So I'd be looking at several flight tickets, whereas the car has 4 seats of course which lowers the cost per person.

DFDS ferry prices from Harwich aren't cheap, you need to add on sleeping accommodation of 50-odd quid per person each wayon top of the car tariff, but the Eurotunnel is very cheap.

Would consider driving one of the ways overnight to avoid the German congestion, and I'd probably keep east of Hamburg and get the ferry to Denmark, thus avoiding the Elbe tunnel and Storebaelt bridge.

Car not essential in Copenhagen.

Am I mad to consider driving it twice?!
 UK to Copenhagen and back - fly or drive it? - BiggerBadderDave
"It's actually more complicated than my original post - I'd need to make the trip TWICE"

Messy divorce Nick?
 UK to Copenhagen and back - fly or drive it? - Bromptonaut
Is there anywhere more convenient than Stansted or Gatwick? Surprising how many people flying to France miss Southampton airport's ease of access from London.

Might be worth checking Copengagen's destinations to see if there's a service more local to you
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 26 May 10 at 12:20
Nah, I've just got a soft spot for Danish with my coffee BBD...

Copenhagen is not a cheap airport to fly in to or out of. The famous Irish budget carrier doesn't go there at all, and the Easy people focus on the London routes. Sterling (from East Midlands) went bankrupt 18 months ago and the other 2 Scandy budget carriers fly to Gatwick only... SAS from Birmingham costs 180 quid return. So a nice drive starts to appeal.
I think I'd probably go Ryanscare to Billund or Aarhus and hire a car/take public transport to Copenhagen.

Don't think I'd want to do the drive unless I was going to take 2 days over it and have an overnight stay along the way.

It's a dream of mine to one day drive to St Petersburg via Copenhagen and then across Sweden and Finland for a week or so's holiday. Then take another week to return via the Baltic States, Poland and Germany.
 UK to Copenhagen and back - fly or drive it? - Gromit
Catch a flight from your local UK airport to the airport closest to Copenhagen you can get to that has a mainline railway station nearby, then hop on a train.

Anywhere in Northern Germany, Southern Sweeden or Denmark should be a quicker round trip than driving.

Try skyscanner.net to find flights and alternative airports close to your origin and destination.
 UK to Copenhagen and back - fly or drive it? - Hard Cheese
I did Gatwick to Copenhagen last week, easyJet, good value!

I have driven it many times in the past though not for a few years, used to leave home at around 2am and get an early morning ferry, a sleep on the ferry and then around 570 miles on the road. Living in Surrey at the time it was around 670 miles in the day.

The Esbjerg to Harwich ferry was great though not cheap, like a mini cruise, depart at around 5pm, dinner, a good nights sleep, breakfast and lunch on board before disembarking at around 2pm.

EDIT: Spellin'
Last edited by: Cheddar on Wed 26 May 10 at 22:47
 UK to Copenhagen and back - fly or drive it? - jc2
I booked an inclusive holiday with DFDS to Roskilde(just outside Copenhagen);total cost was considerably less than total of ferry+tolls etc.Even included meals on ferry and they were seriously good.
Latest Forum Posts