Motoring Discussion > And another new form of aggression Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Cliff Pope Replies: 13

And another new form of aggression - Cliff Pope
I've noticed two examples of the same type of behaviour in the last week, so I think it counts as a new "form":

Tailgated on a winding single-carriageway road by a driver who ostentatiously talks on his/her mobile phone. He holds the phone up very high so that I can see it, and talks energetically. He (or especially, she) does a lot of stroking/smoothing her hair with her other hand, so that frequently neither hand is on the wheel. The car sways from side to side, sometimes crossing the centre line. Sometimes when especially engaged in the conversation the car comes to within a few feet of my bumper, then drops back.

Is it just lack of attention to the driving?
No, something about the person's manner or look on his face (he is that close at times) tells me he is doing it deliberately, to get me worried or to be provocative.

Should I slow down, risking provoking him ? Speed up? He has a much more powerful car and will clearly match any speed I dare to go.

So I slowed very gently and pulled into the side. With a squeal of rubber he accelerated past, ignoring the speed restriction and the traffic camera warning signs. Still talking on the phone.
 And another new form of aggression - Pat
He probably fancied you :)

Pat
 And another new form of aggression - Old Navy
Probably totally oblivious to everything except their conversation and a vague thougt that a car is in front of them.
 And another new form of aggression - MD
Apply Brakes especially when both hands are off the wheel. Darn that football flying in to the road Officer.
 And another new form of aggression - -
I think close tailgaiting is on the increase anyway, a method of forcing the driver in front to increase pace.

What really annoys me about tailgaiters is their apparent inability to overtake competently, if i get one behind (they don't do it to the pick up for some reason) i usually slow down whilst flashing the left indicator when there's a safe overtake, how can they make such a drama of a simple overtake in a powerful car.
 And another new form of aggression - Herr Sandwichmann
Part of the game these characters seem to play is to try to get a reaction out of other drivers, so if you can, try not to get rattled by them. I'd be aware that they're there, liable to make a sudden move, and just drive as normal, within the speed limit. I have to say that I have not noticed the precise mannerisms described, but certainly have been on the receiving end of bullying tactics to try to get me to speed up - hanging back then accelerating quickly to close the gap, getting very close, etc. The worst I had was a Range Rover complete with flashing headlamps, gesturing driver, swerving around the road behind me. Many years ago now, but that was an intimidating experience.

Yesterday was the latest episode - followed by a black S-MAX with blacked out rear windows and low profile tyres being very aggressive in a 30 limit. I just stuck to the limit and he overtook sharply and cut in in front of me, accelerating hard, no doubt to hassle the driver in front. I made a point of not looking rightwards as he went past, but he was probably eyeballing me to get a reaction.
 And another new form of aggression - idle_chatterer
Years ago (2000 ish) when my company paid for a defensive driving course I was told to leave a bigger gap from the car in front when being tailgated (to allow a greater slowing down 'buffer'). Then to get out of their way as soon as practical 'so that they can move on and become someone else's problem'.

Another tip is to wash your windscreen, the resultant spray on their windscreen will cause a natural reaction to back off, in practice I find that this only provides a temporary respite from their idiocy and you have to be careful not to aggravate such reckless people.

I have to admit that when tailgated I fastidiously stick to the posted speed limit.
 And another new form of aggression - Old Navy
>> I have to admit that when tailgated I fastidiously stick to the posted speed limit.
>>
So do I, with the accuracy of cruise control.
 And another new form of aggression - R.P.
I hate tailgaters, and use the defensive driving approach on a bike, - develop a buffer zone, identify escape routes and then put a distance between me and them, if necessary by overtaking.....
 And another new form of aggression - Dave_
>> Another tip is to wash your windscreen, the resultant spray on their windscreen will cause a natural reaction to back off

Even better now the fly season is underway - they will have to put up with smeared fly vision for far longer than they were "putting up with" you going slower than they liked. Possibly for a whole lot longer, as I feel there may be a correlation between this driving style and contempt for tasks such as filling the washer reservoir regularly...
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Tue 25 May 10 at 21:54
 And another new form of aggression - madf
I have to admit that when tailgated I fastidiously stick to the posted speed limit.

I don't.

I stick 2 mph below it. If it's a 30 limit, it usually drives them to give up and fall back..:-)
 And another new form of aggression - Cliff Pope
Hasn't anyone else noticed that a certain kind of driver deliberately flaunts their use of a mobile phone? Making it illegal almost seems to encourage them.
 And another new form of aggression - Herr Sandwichmann
I think it's the thing that 'The law doesn't apply to me - I'll do what I want - I won't be told what to do by jumped up little Hitlers', etc.

As others have said above, give such people as wide a berth as possible.
 And another new form of aggression - hobby
>> I'll do
>> what I want - I won't be told what to do by jumped up little
>> Hitlers', etc.

Thats what happenned when they first made seat belts compulsary... could never understand those people, why risk your life to "make a point", especially a rather daft one! Same in this case!
Last edited by: hobby on Wed 26 May 10 at 09:20
Latest Forum Posts