Motoring Discussion > Hello can you help me¬ Legal Questions
Thread Author: Biker_jonny Replies: 7

Hello can you help me¬ - Biker_jonny
i was travelling down the road yesturday and i was approching the front on an anpr van.... the looked at the speedo and thought crap! i was about 7 - 10 mph over the 40MPh limit... do anpr vans have front speed camera? this is the exact van i went past..

www.flickr.com/photos/emergency_vehicles/7977568983/in/set-72157631486453420

www.flickr.com/photos/emergency_vehicles/7977570796/in/set-72157631486453420/
 Hello can you help me¬ - Videodoctor
The vans only have the devices at the back so approaching from the front would be fine.
Also the vans are there to detect lack of insurance,driving licenses etc and as far as i am aware do not clock the speed.I could be wrong but in general i think you should be ok.
 Hello can you help me¬ - Bromptonaut
ANPR is about detecting vehicles that generate a 'ping' because they're uninsured/untaxed etc. They'll also look for vehicle otherwise of interest for example those associated with a crime or criminals. The vans carry the watchers and are used together with motor bikes or cars to stop suspect vehicles 'down the road'.

Northants, although they've switched off fixed cameras, do still have mobile units. The expected location of these is publicised on the force website and the last I saw was clearly liveried as speed enforcement.

But I might be wrong in which case ar less than 10mph over the limit the worst you can expect is £60+3points an invite to a SAC
what happenes if im a learner :s
 Hello can you help me¬ - Armel Coussine
>> what happenes if im a learner :s

You will have to wait and see Jb. They may come on a bit stern and forbidding if you were clocked (which you may not have been, but who knows?) I don't think they will take your licence away.

What sort of bike do you ride? Are you a pizza delivery kamikaze by any chance? If so, take it easy for heaven's sake. It isn't the speed you do that matters, it's the other road users, dig?

Heh heh... er, welcome to the forum comrade...
If you're a learner then it's possible that supervising driver could get points as well/instead.

But I don't think you need to worry. These things are about catching offenders/suspect as explained above.
i was with my dad in his car im insured etc
Stop worrying. First of all it's almost certainly not a speed cam.

If you were really only 7-10 mph over the limit then:

(a) Speedo law allows them to over read but not under read.

(b) Most Police forces follow guidelines where they only take action if limit is exceeded by 10% = 1mph (34 in a 30).

If your Dad's instructing ask him how he judges/maintains his speed without undue focus on the dash. As well as the speedo engine/gear combinations and noise can help. We have a 20 limit down the High St - my lad (19) can maintain 20 using the engine note in 2nd gear as an aural supplement to speedo.
Latest Forum Posts