Motoring Discussion > Two way Radios Miscellaneous
Thread Author: IJWS14 Replies: 8

Two way Radios - IJWS14
Going to France in the Autumn with son/daughter in convoy.

To avoid lots of arm waving and large telephone bills am considering a cheap radio set similar to those argos have for £40.

Anyone any experience of using these for car to car?

Two way Radios - Zero
yeah, they work and are ideal for the job, as long as you dont get more than 100 yards apart.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 25 May 10 at 12:25
 Two way Radios - Bigtee
It works line of sight they have a range of 1.5km for the cheap set to 3km for the better one.

As an alternative CB radio is cheap as chips now with a greater range of 15-20 miles so if your mate is in front and you get stuck behind no problems this is what we use, no need for big antennas a short whip is all we have.

Look on e bay or handheld motorola gp-340 a pair of these working back to back this is what secuity guards use have a range of 4 miles.
 Two way Radios - Bromptonaut
We've used PMR446 with some success for this purpose and for communication on campsites.

Whatever you select make sure its legal in France. Les flics have a no tolerance policy.
 Two way Radios - FotheringtonTomas
>> We've used PMR446
>>
>> Whatever you select make sure its legal in France.

It's a European standard, so it should be OK!
 Two way Radios - Bromptonaut
>> >> We've used PMR446
>> >>
>> >> Whatever you select make sure its legal in France.
>>
>> It's a European standard, so it should be OK!

The comment about making sure it's legal was mainly aimed at the suggestion of a Motorola GP 340 PBR set mentioned above.

PMR 446 was initially restricted to certain channels in France but is now fully implemented. It remains banned in Monaco though.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 25 May 10 at 14:23
 Two way Radios - FotheringtonTomas
I bought a pair from Aldi, £30. Normal rechargeable AAAs, lots of features incl. the ability to filter out other people's communications. If you're outside and it's flattish, I can get at least 6 miles out of 'em, haven't tried more. Where there are lots of houses etc. 1 1/2 miles is no problem at all, very good. Car to car I have no great experience with at longer range, but a mile seems OK (I'm guessing a bit here, as a mile is only about 40 seconds at motorway speeds). They're "Binatone Action 950" sets.
 Two way Radios - MD
I have used them van to van. 400 yds on m way no more.

In the open field they work at much longer ranges.
 Two way Radios - J500ANT
I recently purchased a set of Cobra MT975 PMR radios from Amazon, just over £40 and very good. Easy to use, good battery life (AAA rechargeables supplied) and very clear transmissions. I was at the end of 20 cars and communicated with the first car easily.
Latest Forum Posts