Motoring Discussion > When was the last time you......... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: helicopter Replies: 18

When was the last time you......... - helicopter
Tickled a carb , checked tdc or adjusted a set of points - I'm talking about on your everday roadgoing motor here.

I reckon for me it was in the late 70's but I honestly cannot remember.
 When was the last time you......... - Clk Sec
Late 60's while I owned a Triumph Herald. Didn't tinker after that.
 When was the last time you......... - Old Navy
I have owned diesels for the last 20 odd years, so before that. My last petrol car was a Nissan Sunny, can't remember if it had a carb, points, or dizzy.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 25 May 10 at 11:58
 When was the last time you......... - Bigtee
7yrs ago on a nissan forklift if this counts.
 When was the last time you......... - Chris S
Rover still used carbs on the early K-series Metros.

I owned a 1990 one till about 5 years ago.
 When was the last time you......... - Zero
1983, One of BL's vintage years, a fine crop of crap.
 When was the last time you......... - Iffy
...I owned a 1990 one till about 5 years ago...

Took you all of 15 years to find someone daft enough to buy it. :)

To be serious, I had a brand new MG Metro in the mid-1980s which I thought was a tremendous little car.

By then my tinkering days were long over.

When was the last time you......... - Bagpuss
1993 when I had a 1985 Ford Granada, the square shaped one. It had the OHV 2.3 litre V6 which means you can add "frequently adjusting the tappets" to your list. Since then, thankfully, all my cars have had fuel injection, electronic ignition and hydraulic tappets.
 When was the last time you......... - Redviper
1999. My Astra Mk1

Didnt really have to do much electronic ignition, hydralic valve lifters - very modern for the early 80's (i bought the car when i passed my test in 1996)

Although the "Varajet II" was a right CPITA, and constantly have to fiddle with the tickover speed - and then for some reason in 2000, all the silt decided to come up from the bottom of tank and that killed it completly.
Last edited by: Redviper on Tue 25 May 10 at 12:28
 When was the last time you......... - Cliff Pope
1989 Volvo 240. Servicing planned for this weekend.
 When was the last time you......... - FotheringtonTomas
>> Tickled a carb , checked tdc or adjusted a set of points (everday roadgoing motor)

Ah yes, I had to fiddle with the magneto, too.
Last edited by: FotheringtonTomas on Tue 25 May 10 at 13:17
 When was the last time you......... - R.P.
Last month prior to selling my old CB650 - carbs had to be drained, balanced and er..."tickled" before it roared into life...:-)
 When was the last time you......... - -
Probably the Sierra, i too went Diesel in the 80's, the odd petrol car was injection after that.
 When was the last time you......... - Skoda
Never, but i would have liked to...

Just for the experience. Would always choose an ECU + feedback loop controlled fuel injected, electronically timed ignition for a daily driver though...
 When was the last time you......... - Number_Cruncher

We bought a very clean 1981 Mini 1000 for SWMBO, and I fitted hardened valve seats to allow it to run unleaded. With that, and a good service, it took her to work reliably for 18 months or so.

When we advertised it, a very enthusiastic chap from Vancouver bought it, and we negotiated a bit extra to cover the cost of driving it down to Southampton to go on the boat. All in all, a very positive experience.
 When was the last time you......... - Herr Sandwichmann
Never. Wouldn't know where to start. Can change a wheel, top up the oil, etc. but other than that, I leave well alone.
 When was the last time you......... - Snakey
I used to endlessly fiddle with the carb on my 1986 Polo (Pierburg i think it was) in the vague hope I was improving performance or economy.
 When was the last time you......... - Mike Hannon
Tickled the carb to fire up the brushcutter yesterday.
 When was the last time you......... - The Nut
2006, on a 1991 Renault 19, only the carb though, ignition had an electronic module instead of points and a non adjustable dizzy IIRC. Bodywork, engine and interior were mint, shame about the autobox there's only so long you can put up with reverse=get out and push.
Latest Forum Posts