Motoring Discussion > Female motorists Miscellaneous
Thread Author: johnedden Replies: 32

Female motorists - johnedden
Hi

Are there any female motorists present? I'm doing some research into how regularly women maintain their cars and would appreciate if you could take 2 minutes out to answer this quick questionnaire for me?

trustmygarage.polldaddy.com/s/are-women-getting-better-at-maintaining-their-cars

I will share results in due course

Many thanks

John
 Female motorists - RattleandSmoke
You probably won't get a reliable answer from people on a car forum. There isn't that many females on here, and those that are on here know a lot about cars.

You would be better asking on some where like female first.

And to answer your question, they service their cars when they need a new engine due to a lack of oil :D.
 Female motorists - Haywain
An important question would be 'do you have a partner who does these things for you?' It would be wrong to conclude that 'women's cars get no attention' by simply asking those questions of my wife and, I'm sure, many like her.
Last edited by: Haywain on Tue 14 May 13 at 17:50
 Female motorists - PhilW
"many like her"
Quite. My wife (and daughter!) never check anything on their cars (or clean them!!) but Mrs W asks me weekly to check tyres (she always thinks that modern low profile tyres look "a bit flat"!) and as a matter of course I always check oil, water etc. She also seems to think that one windscreen washer squirt empties the reservoir! So that is topped up with about 1 millilire a week! She also knows exactly when services/tax/MOT etc are due and always has a full service annually whether needed or not. Tyres always get replaced before anywhere near minimum tread also. Any mention of "brake pads might need doing soon" gets them done NOW! (We have a trusted independent been going to for years who shows pads to us before saying that in case you were wondering!)
I don't mind these "foibles" - keeps the car in good nick and far better than running on low oil, water, running out of washer liquid etc or running on tyres close to limit. Better safe than sorry eh??
P
 Female motorists - Runfer D'Hills
My wife does nothing to her car except drive it. I maintain it, pay for it, wash it and fuel it.

However, I don't get involved in any laundry, ironing, house cleaning or vacuuming activities.

I'm not a bad cook though but she washes up.
 Female motorists - -
Pretty much the same here H, though i often have to restack the dishwasher.

For a woman that had and drove her own removals pantechnicon, she hasn't a clue how to make use of space in the washer.
I think we have a dishwasher, there's something hidden behind a false panel under one of the kitchen units which looks like I'd imagine one should. I don't interfere.
 Female motorists - Ted

I'm another Humphalike, 'cept I'm a bad cook but I do the washing up...........at least I stack it and switch it on.

Ted
 Female motorists - bathtub tom
>>Pretty much the same here H, though i often have to restack the dishwasher.

I think the women's lack of spacial awareness is proven. SWMBO's unable to efficiently pack a dishwasher, suitcase, or park a car (it cost me £100 last time).

So how come Pat can reverse forty-odd foot of trailer?
 Female motorists - Manatee
>> So how come Pat can reverse forty-odd foot of trailer?

Witch. Proof positive.
 Female motorists - swiss tony
>> >> So how come Pat can reverse forty-odd foot of trailer?
>>
>> Witch. Proof positive.
>>

Some say.... the bigger it is, the easier it is to handle....
 Female motorists - Dog
>>Some say.... the bigger it is, the easier it is to handle....

Ooh!...You are awful!
 Female motorists - Pat
But he's right;)

I still cant reverse the Mondeo though!

Pat
 Female motorists - MD
>> >>Some say.... the bigger it is, the easier it is to handle....
>>
>> Ooh!...You are awful!
>>
But I like you...........
 Female motorists - Westpig
>> My wife does nothing to her car except drive it. I maintain it, pay for
>> it, wash it and fuel it.
>>
>> However, I don't get involved in any laundry, ironing, house cleaning or vacuuming activities.
>>
>> I'm not a bad cook though but she washes up.

You spoil her Humph, doing the cooking. Much the same in our household. Both of us are happy with it.

I did her a deal...she gave up work early (in anticipation of maternity leave) and won't be going back to work for many years, (if at all) so that the kids have a mum at home....i'll do all the work necessary to earn an income....and don't have to bother with anything in the house. Yee-hah.
 Female motorists - Zero

>> I did her a deal...she gave up work early

I think my deal was better, I gave up work early.....
 Female motorists - -
>> I think my deal was better, I gave up work early.....
>>

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-EO1c1pQdw
 Female motorists - Zero
>> >> I think my deal was better, I gave up work early.....
>> >>
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-EO1c1pQdw

Why did you send me to a video of a load of lorry drivers?
I'd give up work tomorrow if my wife could earn enough to support us. I've worked more or less non-stop ( if you count paper rounds, Saturday jobs, holiday jobs etc ) since I was 13.

I'd quite like to not now. As things stand however, I'll be doing something until they cart me off in a box.

Oh well...
 Female motorists - R.P.
Shoe Box ?
>> Shoe Box ?

I don't mind if they put me in the wheelie bin to be honest.
 Female motorists - Armel Coussine
>> As things stand however, I'll be doing something until they cart me off in a box.

Likewise, if you can call what I do doing something. The minimum wage looks like privilege from where I stand. Herself works harder and more efficiently than I do. Perhaps I should go back to minicabbing.

But one has to turn a penny one way or another. Running a palace and keeping a hundred indoor servants doesn't come free, dig?
>> Perhaps I should go back to minicabbing.

Well now a true story for you. A good few years ago now, maybe even 20 come to think, a friend of ours who lives in one of the more affluent south coast towns favoured by the retired was made redundant.

His pay off wasn't huge and he had sort of decided that he really didn't want to be employed again anyway. He had, including his redundancy money about £10k in the world and a wife, a family and a mortgage.

He went and bought a nice but very second hand Jag XJ saloon with about £8k of his money and placed an ad in the local paper offering his services as a day rate chauffeur. At the time he set a price of £100 a day plus fuel at a given rate per mile.

He already had a selection of business suits and he bought a chauffeur's hat. I guess he had to get some kind of special insurance cover too but he never mentioned it so I can't say.

Anyway, fairly quickly he aquired a number of regular customers. Mainly old ladies who lived in retirement homes but who wanted to go up to London in style for a day. Some local businesses who would send him to Heathrow to collect favoured vistors and so on.

Suffice it to say, he still has that business. He doesn't do the driving himself any more but he owns about a dozen luxury saloons and employs drivers for them. The drivers tend to be guys who have retired themselves but who want a bit of something to do and he chooses people who can conduct themselves with decorum and courtesy.

Soooo, AC, if you can rustle up, or have someone rustle it for you, the price of a halfway decent Jaaag a haircut and an ad in the local rag...

( Might be a good trick to persevere with the deodorant if you do mind ! )

:-)
 Female motorists - Bromptonaut
>> Perhaps I should go back to minicabbing.
>>

Bit like Humph's story.

Friend of my Mother's got early retirement from teaching around 15 yrs ago. Bought a decent motor and started doing mini-cab stuff. Not pubs and clubs but longer distance stuff; families and golf parties to Manchester Airport, that sort of thing.

Still at it now and with several people driving for him.
 Female motorists - Ted
>> I think my deal was better, I gave up work early.....
>>

Yeah, me too Z. I do as little as possible around the house unless it's something I want to do.
Too many years experience has shown me it's a lot easier to write a cheque than lift a paintbrush.

Anyway, there's the boy's toys in the shed to look after.

Ted
Last edited by: Ted on Tue 14 May 13 at 20:28
 Female motorists - R.P.
A nano-second before this thread was brought to my attention - the need to top up the Volvo and BMW's washer fluids was discussed - Mrs RP was going to top hers up - so I did both....Never thought much about it.
 Female motorists - madf
Apart from the car washing and fettling etc I do the cleaning shopping and half the cooking. Mrs madf is awaiting a second hip replacement and is hardly mobile. She can drive and walk a little...When she has had hip replaced, she can cut the grass:-)
 Female motorists - Haywain
I should think that, by now, the OP is standing with his hands on his hips, shaking his head and wondering why he ever asked the question of such a bunch of old gasbags! :-)
The clue is in the website title. It's not Car4Work is it?
 Female motorists - Pat
It's a lazy way to research anyway...he needs to go and stand in a supermarket car park for a week and ask questions.

Pat

Female motorists - Cliff Pope
>> It's a lazy way to research anyway...

Like students who write to companies saying "I am doing a project on the oil industyry. Please send me any literature you have".

Also you have to realise that with things like routine car maintenance and household chores, people are in denial. Women like to think they actually check the basics from time to time, men like to pretend to themselves that they cook, wash up, hoover when necessary.

The clue is in the "when necessary". Invariably I convince myself that at present it isn't necessary.

So the researcher needs to get to the people who don't respond to questionaires, or avoid him when he stands in the carpark with his clipboard. Otherwise it's a self-selecting sample of people eager to demonstrate that they are pulling their weight.
 Female motorists - movilogo
Try mumsnet forum :-)
 Female motorists - Manatee
That's a very good suggestion movilogo - even supposing there were droves of women here (other than the ones masquerading as men) the sample would be rather skewed to car enthusiasts, not much general application for that.
Latest Forum Posts