Motoring Discussion > SWMBO swiped another car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 11

SWMBO swiped another car - bathtub tom
She swung into a parking space and scraped bumpers. I've polished out most of the marks on our car (9-year-old) and can live with the rest.

The other car (12-year-old) has a couple of estimates in the £200-300 range. They now say they'll accept £100 instead.

Anyone suggest a document I can get the other party to sign saying it's full and final settlement so there's no future comeback?

I suspect something's going on, as they didn't want to deal with insurance from the start. They are insured and taxed, although they said the insurance is with the insurance warehouse, who seem to deal with the motor trade.

I suspect they've generated the estimates themselves, but I guess it's an expensive lesson SWMBO will have to learn.
 SWMBO swiped another car - madf
Name
address

Accident: dates: cars involved

Received the sum of one hundred pounds (£100) in full and final settlement of the accident which occurred on ..... between your car Reg.. and our car Reg .. for which you (insert name) accept full responsibility.

I accept this sum as full recompense for the costs of the accident and agree not to make any further claim either on you or my insurance on this matter. I accept that no-one was injured in the accident. I also accept that the full sum of one hundred pounds is immediately due to be refunded to you in the event of my making any further claim.
Name
Date
Signature.
Witnessed..

Note the non injury bit.. Thus no need to report to police.
Last edited by: madf on Mon 13 May 13 at 18:30
 SWMBO swiped another car - Londoner
Good reply, madf. A nice, clear document that covers all the bases for most reasonable people.
 SWMBO swiped another car - Zero
>> Name
>> address
>>
>> Accident: dates: cars involved
>>
>>
>> Received the sum of one hundred pounds (£100) in full and final settlement of the
>> accident which occurred on .....

At (location........)

>>between your car Reg.. and our car Reg .. for
>> which you (insert name) accept full responsibility.
>>
>> I accept this sum as full recompense for the costs of the accident and agree
>> not to make any further claim either on you or my insurance on this matter.
>> I accept that no-one was injured in the accident. I also accept that the full
>> sum of one hundred pounds is immediately due to be refunded to you in the
>> event of my making any further claim.
>> Name
>> Date
>> Signature.
>> Witnessed..
>>
>> Note the non injury bit.. Thus no need to report to police.
>>
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 13 May 13 at 19:42
 SWMBO swiped another car - MD
Madman great paperwork.

Zeddo splendid add on.

Between you all bases covered methinks.

Now, where did I leave my Beer?
 SWMBO swiped another car - Slidingpillar
Only thing I can add is do two copies, one for you, and one for them.
 SWMBO swiped another car - Londoner
>> Madman great paperwork.
>> Zeddo splendid add on.
>> Between you all bases covered methinks.

Yes, they did a great job in this thread.

It's almost as though they had a lot of experience at this sort of thing . . . ;-)
 SWMBO swiped another car - No FM2R

Make sure you get a witness to the agreement.

And whilst I see the attraction of Madf's letter I might go for something simpler. I would also NOT make any mention of liability.

Name & Address: My wife
Name & Address: Driver of other car

I confirm acceptance of the without prejudice offer of the sum of one hundred pounds (£100) in full and final settlement of my losses resulting from the incident between the above mentioned drivers which occurred on ..... at .... between car Reg.. and car Reg .. "

SWMBO swiped another car - bathtub tom
Thanks everyone.

I cobbled something together from your suggestions.

I've now got both estimates. They're from adjacent garages and apparently written with the same pen and handwriting!
 SWMBO swiped another car - Fullchat
Just one more thing to add.

I would list the damage detail.
 SWMBO swiped another car - Mapmaker
>> Just one more thing to add.
>>
>> I would list the damage detail.
>>

Absolutely not. Mark's wording covers all damage. " full and final settlement of my losses resulting from the incident "

If you list the damage detail of just a bumper bar then it doesn't stop them discovering cracks in the chassis and blaming you afterwards.
 SWMBO swiped another car - Cliff Pope
>> but I guess it's an expensive lesson SWMBO
>> will have to learn.
>>

But not expensive enough, to judge from your post heading "SWMBO swiped another car".
Latest Forum Posts