Motoring Discussion > Lift share Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 17

Lift share - sooty123
Who on here does it? Not pracitical for all I know, but for those who commute to one place of work it can save some money. If you've never done it, would you do it with petrol prices to remain pretty high or is it not worth the hassle? I do, but have to drive to a place to leave the car as we don't live close by.
 Lift share - Runfer D'Hills
Can be awkward...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TtZgs8k8dU
 Lift share - Bromptonaut
Have thought about it. Others around also commute to London but even if trains at start of day work for both chance of one or other needing to stay late leaving a strandee is too much.
 Lift share - sooty123
Staying late happen often? It somes times happens to me either on a night or Friday afternoon but not that often, most of the time we finish within 10 mins or so of each other. An advantage of a shift system I suppose.
 Lift share - Cliff Pope
No, not in any circumstances.
The hour's commute to and from work is virtually my only truly private time in the day.

No one to talk to or listen to, no one to question my choice of music, or silence, no one to make me feel I ought to be going faster or slower.

Just my time, mine to think, whistle, wind the window down if I please, or perhaps pull into a lay-by and finish a bit of music, or have a nap.
 Lift share - No FM2R
Not really related, but a comment from Sooty about parking reminded me of this...

www.parkonmydrive.com/
 Lift share - sooty123
>> No, not in any circumstances.
>> The hour's commute to and from work is virtually my only truly private time in
>> the day.
>>
>> No one to talk to or listen to, no one to question my choice of
>> music, or silence, no one to make me feel I ought to be going faster
>> or slower.
>>
>> Just my time, mine to think, whistle, wind the window down if I please, or
>> perhaps pull into a lay-by and finish a bit of music, or have a nap.
>>

You make it sound like hard work, mind you I suppose it does depend on who you share with I suppose. Thankfully no oddballs yet and it's not too long a drive.
 Lift share - Dieselboy
I used to live in Southport but work in Chester, a 50 mile commute. The company I worked for actively promoted car sharing and worked to put people who lived in the same area in contact (4,000+ staff).

I ended up sharing with 3 other chaps from varying departments. I always found it agreeable. We all got on well and at the very start agreed that conversations about work were banned. Well, apart from comparing opinions on pretty girls seen around the site.

I never worked out exactly how much I saved from sharing, but I can safely assume it wasn't an amount to be sniffed at.

There was a female that shared with us for a while, but we 'sacked' her as it was a bit cramped 3 up in the back. In addition, the fact we got stopped by the police on the M58 one night in her car as she had no insurance was a big deciding factor.
 Lift share - ToMoCo
It's certainly something I'd consider if presented with an opportunity, but at the moment, simply not practical with very irregular hours.

that park on my drive site looks interesting.
 Lift share - No FM2R
>>that park on my drive site looks interesting.

It was recommended to me by someone who swears by it.
 Lift share - WillDeBeest
Did it for a year when an office closure turned our three-mile tootle to work into a 28-mile odyssey (to Redditch too - not good.) No trouble, with a congenial colleague I knew well anyway. But the location, the employer and the job got steadily worse, so I was pleased when my redundancy letter arrived.
 Lift share - Runfer D'Hills
The very best thing about having a car is that you can often, and if organised in advance, be absolutely certain there will be no one else in it.

One of the biggest disadvantages of public transport is that there are almost always other people involved.

Some of them smell too.
 Lift share - movilogo
Tried but didn't work out.

Only works if your car share partner also works in same organization and start/finish at same time like you.

Otherwise, too much hassle for too little in return.

You also lose the flexibility.
 Lift share - Zero
>> The very best thing about having a car is that you can often, and if
>> organised in advance, be absolutely certain there will be no one else in it.

The very best thing about having a car is that you don't have to organise anything in advance.
 Lift share - Pat
I'm with Cliff on this one...and I like to be on time, or more to the point, if I'm going to be late it needs to be my fault and not someone else's.

Pat
 Lift share - mikeyb
Fair few in my office do it - tends to be the ones who are 25+ miles away.

I'm not really far enough away (13 miles) for the saving to be significant plus the guy who I would share with is my boss. We get on fine, but I like my quiet drive in / out plus there is always the risk that if circumstances changed it could complicate things. Still give each other the odd lift if required though.

The company has always pushed for people to lift share and have just started to offer a "get you home" service whereby if you can not participate in your lift share such us domestic emergency / sickness etc then the company will fund a taxi for the others.
 Lift share - Cliff Pope
>> Fair few in my office do it - tends to be the ones who are
>> 25+ miles away.

Taking your work home with you ?

They might as well stay overnight too.
 Lift share - mikeyb
On flexi time so those with longer distances tend to start early / finish early. Leave by 4:15 ish and you can do 25 miles in 35 - 40 minutes so no real hardship
Last edited by: mikeyb on Tue 7 May 13 at 22:12
Latest Forum Posts