Motoring Discussion > Koenigsegg description of camless valves Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 14

Koenigsegg description of camless valves - bathtub tom
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bch5B23_pu0

Should be in technical, but Koenigsegg isn't an option.

I found it interesting.
 Koenigsegg description of camless valves - diddy1234
hmm 20% improvement is not too bad.

I am not sure how strong it would be with a forced induction engine
 Koenigsegg description of camless valves - Old Navy
>> hmm 20% improvement is not too bad.
>>
>> I am not sure how strong it would be with a forced induction engine
>>

In the Video they said a development would be to use stored compressed air as a turbo substitute, also that the actuators were strong enough to use in a HGV engine, (turbo diesel?)
Excellent bt, Looks like the IC engine has a bit to run yet. Even more reason not to buy a battery driven car.

I have just walked through our local station car park, A twin car charging point has appeared and the adjacent bays marked "Electric cars only". I bet the owners of the petrol cars parked in them have not seen the new £60 parking penalty notice. :-)
 Koenigsegg description of camless valves - Cliff Pope
>> . I bet the owners of
>> the petrol cars parked in them have not seen the new £60 parking penalty notice.
>> :-)
>>

It's probably the same owners who park blocking LPG pumps too.
 Koenigsegg description of camless valves - Fursty Ferret
>> Excellent bt, Looks like the IC engine has a bit to run yet. Even more
>> reason not to buy a battery driven car.
>>
>> I have just walked through our local station car park, A twin car charging point
>> has appeared and the adjacent bays marked "Electric cars only". I bet the owners of
>> the petrol cars parked in them have not seen the new £60 parking penalty notice.
>> :-)
>>

Actually, since electric cars are only available to people willing to spend £30k upwards, I do not see why their fuel should be subsidised by the State - especially considering that it comes from non-renewable resources.

Fossil fuel guzzlers, feel free to park in these spaces!

Edited to add: True electric cars are fundamentally pointless until battery technology comes on in leaps and bounds. It'd also cripple the Grid if everyone charged overnight, and since to fill up in less than five minutes would require about 15,000V and a cable as thick as your arm, that won't happen either.

Best system is that now trialled by GM, with electric drive, small battery pack, and petrol generator running at most efficient speed.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Tue 7 May 13 at 11:28
All electric cars do is transfer any pollution to a central generating point. Norway have it sussed, Hydro electric power for everything and export their pollution, (gas) to us. Wind power is just a scam for the taxpayers to subsidise the generating industry.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 7 May 13 at 11:42
 Koenigsegg description of camless valves - Zero
>> All electric cars do is transfer any pollution to a central generating point. Norway have
>> it sussed, Hydro electric power for everything and export their pollution, (gas) to us.

Not really ON, they get the pollution back from us on the westerly winds and jet stream.
>> >> All electric cars do is transfer any pollution to a central generating point. Norway
>> have
>> >> it sussed, Hydro electric power for everything and export their pollution, (gas) to us.
>>
>>
>> Not really ON, they get the pollution back from us on the westerly winds and
>> jet stream.
>>

At least it is diluted by the time they get it back. We still get the blame and taxes for it.
 Koenigsegg description of camless valves - Zero

>> Edited to add: True electric cars are fundamentally pointless until battery technology comes on in
>> leaps and bounds.

Absolutely. You need 300 miles plus from one charge, no more than an hour recharge, and loads of places to charge it. As far as I can see at the moment, thats just a pipe dream.

>> It'd also cripple the Grid if everyone charged overnight,

Actually, it wouldnt. Power use at night is very low. Last night (midnight) the demand fell to 27 megawatts, with a breakfast peak (toasters and kettles around 7:30am) of 37 megawatts. The highest the UK has peaked at is 68 megawatts.

>> Best system is that now trialled by GM, with electric drive, small battery pack, and
>> petrol generator running at most efficient speed.

Yes (although small diesel gennies might be better), or fuel cells.
 Koenigsegg description of camless valves - sooty123
>>
>>
>>
>> >> Best system is that now trialled by GM, with electric drive, small battery pack,
>> and
>> >> petrol generator running at most efficient speed.
>>
>> Yes (although small diesel gennies might be better), or fuel cells.
>>

I think PSA had a car set up for such technology and it worked, in the sense that was a working prototype a couple of years ago. However they said they had problems with NVH issues and ironing them out to make it saleable. Anyone heard anything about it?

edit: oops appears it's been on sale for 18 months or so.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 7 May 13 at 11:54
During my walk this morning I was waiting to cross a road at traffic lights when a Hyundai i40 diesel stopped at the lights. The engine stopped, (must have had an eco system) but the restart was anything but instant. The engine turned over for a few seconds before firing up. I found this with the demonstrator model of my car and I deliberately bought one without the system. Is it really only to help the manufacturers with Co2 figures?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 7 May 13 at 12:02
 Koenigsegg description of camless valves - hawkeye
Very interesting BT. I like Mr Koenigsegg and his aspirations.

Aren't the air actuated valves straight from Formula 1? And the engine braking by shutting the valves altogether known to truck drivers as the Jake brake? I like the idea of storing energy as compressed air though. Air brakes for cars, anyone? Air brakes for trailers and caravans after ditching the slightly naff overrun system?
 Koenigsegg description of camless valves - bathtub tom
Isn't the Jake brake a separate valve that's held open? Tremendously noisy IIRC.

Perhaps Pat'll put us right?
 Koenigsegg description of camless valves - Number_Cruncher
>>Isn't the Jake brake a separate valve that's held open?

When an engine is on overrun, kinetic energy is used in compressing the charge above the piston during the compression stroke. A proportion of this energy is returned to the crank as the gas expands again down what would have been the power stroke - even when no fuel has been injected.

So, normal overrun engine braking is due to engine friction losses and due to heat lost to the coolant during the compression and exansion processes

The Jake brake opens an exhaust valve at tdc, at the end of the compression stroke, and prevents that pressure being used to drive the crank. Hence the tremendous noise. So, the work done on the gas in compression also becomes part of the braking torque at the crankshaft, as it's no longer balanced / cancelled by the work done on the piston during expansion.
Latest Forum Posts