Motoring Discussion > Replacing the Mazda Buying / Selling
Thread Author: ToMoCo Replies: 21

Replacing the Mazda - ToMoCo
Sorry, yet another 'what should we buy' thread (but it's why we are all here, is it not? to pick on others choices :-p)

OK, Going to start looking at replacements for the Mazda now hopefully giving us time to choose the right car at leisure rather than a rush job if the worst was to happen. No man math involved this time. We have the money and 'want' to change ;)

Current car set up.
53 plate Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI. 127,000 miles. & the '97 323f with 117,000 miles.

After deciding to keep the Mazda last year, the 406 has been used a lot by SWM for work and by me when SWM isn't driving it, clocking up around 22k a year. The Mazda covering around 8k a year. With a newer replacement, I envisage this 30k a year as more 50/50 split.

We now have a (near enough) £10,000 saving pot for our car fund (with a further£300/month going in). But this is to cover everything car related (MOT/Tax/Insurance/Repair/Replacement) other than Fuel.

I am thinking of spending £7-8k on a replacement for the Mazda leaving a healthy fund for running costs and eventual replacement for the Peugeot (I'm hoping for another couple of year's trouble free with the Pug). I'm thinking when the time comes for replacement of the Pug, it will be an older petrol Japanese car again (something like Zero's Lancer appeals, but who knows, 2 years is a long time) and the newer car reverting to a higher annual mileage, so probably diesel wanted and looking at 6-7 years minimum ownership.

A reasonable basis to start from or would any of you be doing it different given the above parameters?

The Suspects.

Only had a quick look so far for cars around £8k. Comments, additions, deletions appreciated: -

Toyota Auris 1.4 D-4D. 2009 model with 40k miles. PROS- I like Toyota Motor Company :-). CONS ?

Mazda 3. 2009 2.0D with around 40k or what looks like a face lifted model 2009 1.6D with 60k. PROS - styling (SWM, not me). CONS?

Focus - looks like I could get a 2010 model 1.6tdci (zetec or style). PROS - lots of choice.

Seat Leon 1.9 TDi - 2010 model 40k (this was £7.3k) PROS - loved the engine in the Golf we had

Hyundai I30 - 1.6 crdi. 2010 model with 60k around £7000 or 2011 model with 30k for £8500. PROS - slightly newer car with warranty. CONS - parts costs further down the line?

Ceed - 1.6 crdi 2010 model around 25k. Pros/cons as per Hyundai

Megane - Previously excluded on the grounds I had a 2001 model, but looks like I bought one from the wrong year going by other recent threads? a low mileage 2010 1.5 dci can be had.

Maybe an oddball, but did notice a 1.33 VVT-i Auris while looking. MPG/tax situation looked good, but thinking it may be under-powered?
 Replacing the Mazda - Alastairw
Of your choices I think I would go for the Mazda, which is after all basically a Focus. Personally I'd knock the Seat off the list - that engine is a bit rough and the styling does nothing for me. The Megane is hardly a looker either.
 Replacing the Mazda - Dog
>>Of your choices I think I would go for the Mazda

So would I.
 Replacing the Mazda - Zero
>>. Personally I'd knock the Seat off the list - that engine is
>> a bit rough and the styling does nothing for me.

>>The Megane is hardly a
>> looker either.

"SPECSAVERS" he cries. Both are good lookers.

The Seat is noisy tho.
 Replacing the Mazda - sooty123
The megane's not bad, but the Seat always looks a bit of bloater to me. Not offensive more dull mini mpv type of a shape.
 Replacing the Mazda - Alanovich
Eh? The Leon's very low and sleek. Sure you're not confusing it with the mini-MPV Altea?
>. Sure you're not confusing it with the mini-MPV Altea?
>>

No.
Weird. Leon's just a Focus sized hatchback. By that reasoning, all Focus sized hatchbacks look like mini-MPVs.
>> Weird.

Not really is it?

By that reasoning, all Focus sized hatchbacks look
>> like mini-MPVs.

Not sure what reasoning you'd use to think that. I don't, but each to their own
 Replacing the Mazda - TeeCee
>> >>The Megane is hardly a
>> >> looker either.
>>
>> "SPECSAVERS" he cries. Both are good lookers.
>>

If you think the Megane is good looking and you've already been to Specsavers, I suggest you sue them.
Of all these options, I'm betting the 1.5 dCI Megane would give the best fuel economy. Very low VED too. Very much worth a look. It would probably be between that and the Focus for me.

I wouldn't be confident of an Auris, seems the former Toyota quality isn't there (yes, ironic from a Renault owner, I know, but the character and driveability of the Renault mitigates this for me).

The 1.9TDi has had it's day as an engine, rough, noisy and not so economical against modern competition. That would discount the Leon.

Mazdas have high running costs compared to the others (insurance, servicing, parts, fuel consumption).

Hyundai and Kia, well I'd be tempted from the warranty aspect, but turned off by residuals, and a general personal prejudice (they don't smell right inside, too plasticky).

All personal opinion of course.
>> Of all these options, I'm betting the 1.5 dCI Megane would give the best fuel
>> economy. Very low VED too. Very much worth a look.

All surprisingly (or perhaps not!) very similar. (from autotrader - I don't know how accurate?)

Megane 1.5dci 86 - 115g/km (band C). 64.2 mpg combined. 86bhp-148lbs/ft. 12.9 seconds 0-62

Megane 1.5dci 106- 120g/km (band C). 62.8 mpg combined. 105 bhp/177lbs/ft. 10.9 seconds 0-62

Mazda 1.6d - 119g/km. 62.8 mpg. 109-177. 11 seconds

Focus 1.6tdci - 115g/km. 64.2 mpg. 110-177. 10.9 seconds

Kia/Hyundai - 119g/km. 62.8mpg. 113-188. 11.1 seconds

The surprise is the Toyota 1.4 D-4D - 128g/km (Band D). 58.9 mpg. 90bhp-151lbs/ft. 11.9 seconds 0-62.

I know the numbers don't mean that much in real terms, but as a comparison?

Taking purchase price and availability into consideration, the numbers stack up well for the Focus.

I notice on Autotrader, the search results for the Focus shows [DPF] in the title for some and not in others - Does it come fitted to only some models?
 Replacing the Mazda - Gromit
If you're after a car to do a job, rather than "I want to choose between models X, Y and Z which I really like", do a bit of research to estimate the running cost of your shortlisted cars.

For example, here in Ireland, Renaults and Fiats are cheaper than Fords and Opels, but you have to allow for regular coil pack changes on Renault petrol engines. The Fiats tend to wear out suspension bushings, but Fiat only supply full wishbone assemblies so a simple fix becomes pricier. Check does the higher parts cost offset the purchase price saving?

If you consider Hyundai, Kia or (here in Ireland again) Mitsubishi you'll get a 5, 7 or 8 year warranty. Can you buy new enough to get the balance of this? How much does it matter to you?

I'd also buy the car that meets your needs now, not in a few years time. Time to worry about a 406 replacement when it needs replacing. Who knows how your needs, budget, road tax, fuel prices etc. will change in the meantime.
A car to do a job is exactly what I'm after. I will try and investigate running costs.

Other than being from the family hatch segment, I don't particularly care what it looks like - to be honest, there are no cars there that I see and think 'oh that's nice, I'd like one of those'

The longer warranty Kia/Hyundai does appeal, but then I think is there anything likely to go wrong that they can't pin down to wear & tear/user at 5 years 80k miles?

Good point about bringing the 406 into the equation, who knows what the future holds. 15k a year for the new car is probably borderline on the Petrol/Diesel argument. I think best to just look at diesel anyway to keep it simple.
 Replacing the Mazda - Gromit
Hyundai and Kia used to publish the full wording of their warranty on their Irish website, at least when the 5/7 year warranty started. AFAIK, it listed what they considered as service items, and effectively covered anything not on that list.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not plugging them over the competition, but if one plans to buy newer to get reliability and lower running costs, its worthwhile knowing exactly what you are - or are not - paying for. Same goes for the Fiat 4 year, Renault 5 year and Vauxhaul "first owner for the lifetime of the car" warranties.

That and local differences in what the market likes may well swing it. Like for like, any Astra will go for €1000 less than the equivalent Focus here, an Octavia for less again, but a Corolla/Auris or Golf will get snapped up at whatever price the dealer asks almost as soon as it hits the forecourt!
 Replacing the Mazda - Londoner
>> I'd also buy the car that meets your needs now, not in a few years
>> time. Time to worry about a 406 replacement when it needs replacing. Who knows how
>> your needs, budget, road tax, fuel prices etc. will change in the meantime.
>>
+1. Excellent, common sense point.
Good general advice, and not just for this thread.
Last edited by: Londoner on Fri 3 May 13 at 18:42
 Replacing the Mazda - MD
I was always advised to go with Mazda on petrol, but to avoid Diesels like the plague. Possibly something about washing their bores out?
 Replacing the Mazda - corax
>> I was always advised to go with Mazda on petrol, but to avoid Diesels like
>> the plague. Possibly something about washing their bores out?

The previous generation diesels were a nightmare. And Mazda would not make any goodwill contribution. Not sure about the current crop, but I'd rather deal with someone like Toyota if I had an engine with a serious design fault.
 Replacing the Mazda - brettmick
Head - Kia. You will be able to buy newer as the initial depreciation is steep and the recent new model has added to the drop. What you will see is that cars between 4 and 6 years old almost level off in price so you need to find the sweet spot. I liked my Kia Ceed 2.0CDRI "Sport" and would buy another. The "freedom" of not worrying about some random bill turning up is huge - a friend at work has two (his and hers) and the turbo on his is going (sounds like a police siren) which Kia are replacing under warranty no questions asked on a 57 plate car with 80k miles up.

Heart - Mazda 3 for the looks even if the petrol engines are a bit slow for their size. I love the interior too. Diesel on your mileage should be fine assuming the previous owner hasn't gummed it up.
 Replacing the Mazda - Boxsterboy
As always, you need to try them to see which suits you best, but like Alanovic, I would favour a Focus or Megane (not that I've driven any of them).
>> As always, you need to try them to see which suits you best,

Absolutely. I've only ever driven 1 car I couldn't get comfortable in tho. Offset pedals. Can't remember what it was?

I imagine all the above will drive pretty well compared to my pug HDI 90!
>> Heart - Mazda 3 for the looks even if the petrol engines are a bit
>> slow for their size. I love the interior too. Diesel on your mileage should be
>> fine assuming the previous owner hasn't gummed it up.

Is there a particular issue with the Mazda 3 diesel?
Latest Forum Posts