Motoring Discussion > Alfa Romeo 156 - Lost oil filler cap - Advice please Legal Questions
Thread Author: Mr Tickle Replies: 13

Alfa Romeo 156 - Lost oil filler cap - Advice please - Mr Tickle
Yesterday I stupidly forgot to replaace the filler cap fter toping up the oil. I left the cap sitting on the engine and drove away. I drove about 80 miles, mostly motorway cruising, before I realised what I'd done; the temperature gauge showed nothing unusual and the oil pressure light did not come on. Does anyone think I've done any harm? I hope to get a new cap tomorrow; will that be all I need? The oil level was still above the min mark, even though there was a lot of oil spread about under the bonnet.
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Lost oil filler cap - Advice please - Zero
as long as the oil was above minimum, you should be ok. Lot of cleaning up tho, and it will smell hot and oily for a long time.
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Lost oil filler cap - Advice please - Armel Coussine
Lucky man Mr T...
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Lost oil filler cap - Advice please - Dave_
If you have to keep driving it (for example to the oil filler cap shop) you could secure a piece of rag or plastic bag over the oil filler with a rubber band to stop any more oil being sprayed around the engine bay. I've seen it done with a plastic bag, before anyone questions it...
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Lost oil filler cap - Advice please - RattleandSmoke
If the oil cap is removed dosn't the engine preasure complety change? Although I haven't tried it on a modern engine. I suppose if you have the radio on etc you may not notice.
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Lost oil filler cap - Advice please - Pat
>>>> I suppose if you have the radio on etc you may not notice<<<

Us older drivers were taught to multitask Rattle, and surprisingly we're still able to do it quite well!

Pat
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Lost oil filler cap - Advice please - Manatee
>> If the oil cap is removed dosn't the engine preasure complety change?
>>

It won't affect the oil pressure if that's what you're driving at. Mainly just makes a mess and wastes a bit of oil.

It would eventually chuck it all out, so people who don't check their oil level would eventually have an oil pressure problem I suppose ;-)
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Lost oil filler cap - Advice please - Cliff Pope
I think he means the pressure in the crankcase which will affect its breathing/ventilation, usually controlled by a small air intake to the inlet manifold in order to maintain a small vacuum hence indution and burning of blow-by gases.

Running with the cap off will upset this, and could affect the engine's running slightly, because the sealed system is designed to give a controlled amount of additional intake air.

It would be like running with the crankcase vacuum hose disconnected - you get a hissing noise (drowned by the radio) and a slightly weaker mixture.

I'm sure it's done no harm as long as the oil level didn't fall too low.
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Lost oil filler cap - Advice please - jc2
Crankcase ventilation systems can be "closed" or "semi-closed"-both are legal but most modern systems are now "closed".There is a test-called a Type III test which forms part of the EEC directive and the ECE regulation for emissions and checks the crankcase ventilation at three conditions.
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Lost oil filler cap - Advice please - Mr Tickle
Thanks all for the reassurance. I've got a new cap now, all seems well. Car's going for service on Tuesday, I've asked for an under bonnet 'clean up'.
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Lost oil filler cap - Advice please - L'escargot
>> I've asked for an under bonnet 'clean up'.
>>

They'll probably pressure wash it which might do more harm than good. The water may get into the electrics.
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Lost oil filler cap - Advice please - Zero
Yeah, thats a real risk.

I would set an afternoon aside with plenty of rags and do it yourself.
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Lost oil filler cap - Advice please - -
I agree, you could buy a can or two of brake cleaner to help clean the oil off electrical stuff then wrap them well in plastic bags, Gunk the rest of the bay agitate gently then hose off gently without resorting to pressure washer.
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Lost oil filler cap - Advice please - Bellboy
do not get it washed off
as said go round with rags and or brake cleaner
if you get it washed off you will rue the day
Latest Forum Posts