Motoring Discussion > Road sell off?..Roads priced? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 14

Road sell off?..Roads priced? - -
tinyurl.com/2aakyfe
 Road sell off?..Roads priced? - Skoda
The current treasury reaps the benefits of selling off the roads once, while the current and future inhabitants of the country pay the price forever more.

I'd be more open to a one off "give us a tenner" whip round for the government than i would be to this short sighted quick fix.
 Road sell off?..Roads priced? - MrTee43
Am I the only one who thinks that Vince Cable is not as smart as he is portrayed ?

Road sell off?..Roads priced? - Stuu
Well this is a vote winner all round. Putting personal mobility in the hands of a private company, cant say it fills me with joy.
 Road sell off?..Roads priced? - RattleandSmoke
This cannot be allowed to happen under any circumstances. But then people said that about British Rail.

If this goes ahead what will be Britian be? Just a load of bits owned by different countries.
 Road sell off?..Roads priced? - hobby
Recon they are just "sounding off" to see what sort of reaction they'll get...
 Road sell off?..Roads priced? - -
What concerns me most if this latest brainwave gets the green light, is road pricing by the back door.

The only possible reason private companies would want to buy roads is to run them at a profit, the only income can come from the motorist, what a nice sneaky way of getting road pricing early whilst leaving the very architects of it (the govt of the day) free of blame.
 Road sell off?..Roads priced? - Cliff Pope
I don't think it will happen, it's just flying a kite.

Building a new privately-owned road is one thing, but it would require a major legal revision to sell off a piece of the Queens's Highway with all its ancient rights.

For a start the land under a road is not necessarily publicly owned - it is simply a public right of way along the carriageway, whose maintenance is vested in the highway authority. You can sell a field with a public footpath crossing it, but that doesn't give the new owner any right to interfere with use of the path, or charge for using it.

Small roads are usually "owned" by the adjoining landowner up to the crown of the road, but it's the highway authority sets the traffic rules and maintains the surface.
I have a tiny lane running right through my property, so in a limited sense I already "own" it. I look forward to being empowered to levy toll charges. :)
 Road sell off?..Roads priced? - L'escargot
It's only motorways and trunk roads. Incidentally, which roads are classed as trunk roads?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 25 May 10 at 09:09
 Road sell off?..Roads priced? - Focusless
>> Incidentally, which roads are classed as trunk roads?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trunk_road#United_Kingdom
Is there a map of them anywhere, Focus?
>> Is there a map of them anywhere, Focus?

Quick google came up with this: www.transport.intelynx.net/Trunk_Road_Map.html
although I'm not sure if they match the definition on the wiki page
...and another map: www.highways.gov.uk/aboutus/139.aspx
(larger versions in links on page)
Last edited by: Focus on Tue 25 May 10 at 10:00
 Road sell off?..Roads priced? - tyro
And here is a map of Scottish trunk roads:

tinyurl.com/36arqjd
Last edited by: tyro on Tue 25 May 10 at 12:26
Thanks chaps... I was just being a bit lazy... but at least everyone else can have a look now!!

I notice that round where I live there are hardly any... just the motorway network and thats it!
Latest Forum Posts