Motoring Discussion > Local Jaguar dealer closed down Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Westpig Replies: 14

Local Jaguar dealer closed down - Westpig
My local Jag dealer, Stratstone, has disappeared...one minute they were there and now they are not, just an empty showroom. They were at Chaddlewood, Plympton, Plymouth.

Yesterday I had a letter from Roger Young, Saltash, Cornwall saying they've taken over the franchise (existing Land Rover dealer).

More problems in the car industry?
 Local Jaguar dealer closed down - RattleandSmoke
Could be many reasons for it, manufacturers seem to drop dealers at the top of their hat if they are not selling enough. Seems to be loads enough new Jags round here.
 Local Jaguar dealer closed down - Harleyman
Over-capacity perhaps; they have 21 other Jag dealerships in the UK.
 Local Jaguar dealer closed down - No FM2R
Jag has significant issues, LR does not.

This has been the case for about 2 years, something will happen.
 Local Jaguar dealer closed down - Fursty Ferret
When I was new car shopping last year the local Jag dealer wouldn't let me test drive a car without putting down a deposit first. This might be one of the reasons why they went under.
 Local Jaguar dealer closed down - sooty123
I knew LR were doing well, I don't know Jag had significant issues. What sort of problems do they have?
 Local Jaguar dealer closed down - Bromptonaut
Site worth more as housing?

Quite a few locations shut for that reason locally (Northants)
 Local Jaguar dealer closed down - Zero
>> Jag has significant issues, LR does not.
>>
>> This has been the case for about 2 years, something will happen.

What significant issues are those? They recently put on an extra shift in coventry, albeit mostly for export markets.
 Local Jaguar dealer closed down - Dog
I'd prefer a trip to Grange in Exeter or Riders in Falmouth than Roger Young Wp.
 Local Jaguar dealer closed down - Westpig
>> I'd prefer a trip to Grange in Exeter or Riders in Falmouth than Roger Young
>> Wp.

I think you are right.

I bought my wife's car from Riders, when they had the Chaddlewood, Plympton site before Stratstone took it over. Straightforward, old fashioned, customer service.

Went back after the change over when I thought about trading in my petrol S Type for a diesel version...I got the sharp suited 'richard cranium' full of hard sell techniques....and he was unprofessional enough to tell me that the salesman that I quite liked from the previous sale, had been 'let go' because he didn't fit in with the new company thinking....so I walked.

Similar happened at a dealer north of London...the same one I bought my S Type from originally......so they didn't get my money either.

I could have afforded it then and was happy to upgrade well in time before my retirement and subsequent lifestyle change.

I ended up keeping the petrol S Type (I really liked it) and used the money I would have spent on upgrading it..on the increasing petrol costs.

It's now in a shed at the bottom of my garden, waiting to become a classic.

When will these hard sell pfd ever learn?
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 24 Apr 13 at 00:53
 Local Jaguar dealer closed down - rtj70
Our local Jaguar dealer (Stratstone) closed late on last year. Claimed to be moving the business into the Manchester site.... Then fairly recently the local Chrysler dealer became a Jaguar one (they have an F-Type in under covers which has been there for a couple of weeks).

Anyway the Stratstone dealer were meant to lose the franchise later this year but they lost it 12 months earlier because of things they were doing. Jaguar pulled it. And the other dealer got it....

I'd assumed this was a local dealer issue and not a Stratstone issue. They are after all part of a larger car group (Pendragon).
 Local Jaguar dealer closed down - Auristocrat
Near to where I live, Stratstone had a Ferrari dealership which closed about two years ago, and in the time since has been advertised as opening as Stratstone Aston Martin (and still is), but has never opened. Their Volvo dealership approx 4 miles away was subject to a local management buyout.
 Local Jaguar dealer closed down - swiss tony
>> I'd assumed this was a local dealer issue and not a Stratstone issue. They are
>> after all part of a larger car group (Pendragon).
>>

No.
Pendragon is one company I will NEVER work for.
I would rather clean toilets.
 Local Jaguar dealer closed down - Mike Hannon
>>It's now in a shed at the bottom of my garden, waiting to become a classic<<

Good luck - and I mean that sincerely. I dare say you are right but you might not live long enough to see it!
 Local Jaguar dealer closed down - Zero
>> >>It's now in a shed at the bottom of my garden, waiting to become a
>> classic<<
>>
>> Good luck - and I mean that sincerely. I dare say you are right but
>> you might not live long enough to see it!

It will return to the soil before it ever becomes a classic.
Latest Forum Posts