Motoring Discussion > Jumping off buses Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 15

Jumping off buses - L'escargot
In my younger days, when the boarding/alighting part of a double decker bus was at the back as per Routemasters (tinyurl.com/395re3b) I used to enjoy jumping off when the bus was still moving. Modern buses with doors have put a stop to that. Youngsters today aren't allowed to get anywhere as much fun out of life as we did.
 Jumping off buses - Iffy
The new Routemaster has a rear platform, although it wasn't clear to me if it will be open or not.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=1308

Some of the old Routemasters had folding doors at the back.
 Jumping off buses - Zero
Even as a late teen early twenties lad, there was much pleasure to be gained from seeing how fast you could leap from the bus. You had to have your legs twirling before you hit the ground. It also helped if the place you wanted to go was in front of you, there was no turning round!
 Jumping off buses - Runfer D'Hills
When I was nine I jumped off a bus with an open platform while it was still moving. In fact I did it twice a day. As you say, great fun. Then one day, a cement lorry undertook the bus as I was doing it. I was in hospital for a long time. Still have the scars.

My own fault of course, but be careful !
 Jumping off buses - Iffy
There was a nasty accident in London many years ago.

A driver lost control of the rear end of his Routemaster, throwing a woman on the platform off the bus.

Rear of the bus hit the front of building and she was killed, squashed between the two.

I think the inquiry found she was hanging on to the pole - might have been better if she'd let go.

Open platform Routemasters were already on their way out, but this hastened their demise.

Last edited by: ifithelps on Sun 23 May 10 at 10:05
>> Open platform .........

They were the words I couldn't think of!
 Jumping off buses - R.P.
www.wrightbus.com/uploads_images/resizeNBFL.JPEG
 Jumping off buses - Iffy
PU,

Thanks for that.

Looks open to the side only, not the rear as well as the old Routemasters were.

I think there may be a folding door to the left of the opening.
 Jumping off buses - Zero
Open platform, with a conductor is perfect for a busy crowded innner city.

Loads of people can get on and off in pretty short order.
 Jumping off buses - Bellboy
when we used to go home one one of those type of buses on a from school all us bad ones would be upstairs sat on the long bench seats ,we would all crowd to the left as the bus went round a tight roundabout to try and turn the bus over

we never did though
thankfully
>> when we used to go home one one of those type of buses on a
>> from school all us bad ones would be upstairs sat on the long bench seats
>> ,we would all crowd to the left as the bus went round a tight roundabout
>> to try and turn the bus over

Buses have to pass a static tilt test without toppling over ~ 28° minimum for double deckers and 35° minimum for single deckers.
www.dft.gov.uk/rmd/project.asp?intProjectID=10376
www.spiritus-temporis.com/tilt-test/
tinyurl.com/5tvbf3
wapedia.mobi/en/Tilt_test
 Jumping off buses - Cliff Pope
>> >>
>>
>> Buses have to pass a static tilt test without toppling over>>

Static is the operative word, surely? Organising the entire deck full of passengers to run to one side at the same time might be a bit different.
>> Static is the operative word, surely?

Stop calling me Shirley!
 Jumping off buses - BiggerBadderDave
I saw a nasty incident in the early 90s at the bottom of Regent St (the posh bit iffy!). I was waiting to cross so I was watching a routemaster is it came towards me and I could see a lovely strawberry blond girl, one leg out as if to jump off. It was one of those moments where you know what's going to happen long before it does. She stepped off while the bus was still moving at quite a pace, did a few sickening tumbles and skidded to a stop on her belly. She stopped a few feet short of me but her glasses landed at my feet. It was before mobile phones and I had to go into a shop to call an ambulance. She was red raw.
 Jumping off buses - Iffy
...at the bottom of Regent St (the posh bit iffy!)...

Admit it, you didn't really feel comfortable though, did you?

I worked in an office in Glasshouse Street, just off the posh bit.

Always plenty going on.

I might find it a bit daunting now.
 Jumping off buses - zookeeper
i can remember as a child standing on the rear open platform of a double decker waiting to get off at the next stop and the whole contents of my newly purchased deluxe box of hot wheels and track fell out of the bottom and scattered on the road behind me..thems was the days
Latest Forum Posts