Motoring Discussion > Need an 'ickle car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 48

Need an 'ickle car - Ted

Looking to buy a little cheapy..maybe up to 500 smackers.

Son has a 2000 Astra 1600 sport and he's finding the tax/insurance/fuel far too much for what he does. He's a staff driver for a courtesy car hirer and drives all sorts of things from exotica to Transits all over the country. His mileage in the Astra is about 10 miles a day in the week and nowt at the weekend. It's coming up for test and the emissions have been a little too high for the last couple of years. My tame tester can get round that for now but he's talking of retiring. The car's mint and doesn't smoke but.......

The lad's partner works for the same lot, in a good position, and gets a new car every 6 months.Currently a 62 reg Mercedes B160 so they don't need a family car.

We want to get something tiny and reliable.....I don't want to have to start welding again or doing major work. A sort of ' chuck-away ' car, I suppose, about 1litre or less.

Looking on line, there are plenty local to us on Gumtree.......Any thoughts ? Micra, Ka, Matiz, Punto, Fiesta all come to mind....ideas ?

Ted

Need an 'ickle car - Runfer D'Hills
I was looking at high mileage 7 or 8 year old Pandas earlier on for a friend with a similar brief. High hundreds pricewise though. Some apparently cared for cars mind.
 Need an 'ickle car - Bromptonaut
Why a car?

Ten miles a day is (folding?) bike territory.
 Need an 'ickle car - Ted

What he'd like is a 125cc bike but on some of his days off he has 2 kids to move about and whatever he goes to work in has to live on the street if he's going to be back out of hours.

Wouldn't mind a folder meself though...getting a strain to get me leg over the crossbar of my Raleigh City. Do bike dealers do trade-ins ?

Ted

>> Wouldn't mind a folder meself though...getting a strain to get me leg over the crossbar
>> of my Raleigh City. Do bike dealers do trade-ins ?
>>
>> Ted

Discovered last week that my hip injury makes mounting the 1986 Galaxy a bit of a struggle. Just need to practice though and then can get my leg over as easily a in my twenties....

Evans were advertising trade in deals in tonight's standard.
 Need an 'ickle car - FocalPoint
"Just need to practice though and then can get my leg over as easily a in my twenties...."

I shouldn't laugh, really I shouldn't...
>> "Just need to practice though and then can get my leg over as easily a
>> in my twenties...."
>>
>> I shouldn't laugh, really I shouldn't...

:-p
 Need an 'ickle car - RattleandSmoke
Pandas still keep their value well, mostly because they don't rust and the engines are solid. Its only really the electric steering that will kill an early example or maybe CAMBUS issues.

I suppose cheap cars like that will also die door to poor servicing.

I would not buy a pre 2001 Fiesta, they are all rusted through by now.

Puntos, the MK1 seem to suffer from head gasket issues, maybe due to poor cooling, the MK2 seem to be stronger but due sometimes suffer electrical issues, not really ideal in a banger.

What you really need in a banger is a FIAT bodyshell with Ford machanics!
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Tue 16 Apr 13 at 23:05
 Need an 'ickle car - Harleyman
Ka is a notorious rust-bucket, Matiz has a plastic engine and eff-all street cred; Punto is by no means a bad car but personally I'd go for either Micra or Fiesta. Peugeot 106 is another option.

Quick search of e-bay reveals a 106 1.1 for £550 BIN in Bolton. Ideal if it runs OK.
A 106 XU might be ideal, they don't seem to rust and the engines seem to last, a friend while at uni had one which had done 120,000 miles, ran very well and not a spot of rust, but it was only ten years old at the time, a K reg.
 Need an 'ickle car - -
Toyota Starlet/Corolla, Micra/Almera, Mazda 323, mor or less anything made in Japan or any of the Korean stuff Hyundai Accent or Kia Shuma for example, under 1 litre i expect maybe wrongly to carry a price premium, maybe go as high as a 1.3 on skinny tyres and a bit unfashionable should produce something fairly well cared for by a mature owner.

Matiz is OK and should be cheap, nice proper auto a rare option too, problem with them is same as Hyundai Coupe/Elantra front discs mounted behind the hub so potential for large wedge for new bearings should it need new discs....amazingly stupid design which i believe is found in later FWD Trannies too.
The Micra and Almera were made in the UK. Late 90's examples were all rust buckets. When I was banger hunting I saw plenty of Almeras where I could put my hand through the floor.
 Need an 'ickle car - -
I've been reading posts for years now proclaiming rust to be a thing of the past, i think its people who never get underneath their cars who hold that view, if the lazy blighters hosed out the 5lbs of caked salty crud from the wheelarches and did nothing else it would help.
 Need an 'ickle car - legacylad
Two friends of mine both ran Pug 306 diesels, and only changed them because boredom set in after years of trouble free motoring. One bought an A4 1.9 Tdi with which he is happy, the other a new 307 which is now giving lots of problems.
 Need an 'ickle car - sooty123
I know quite a few that ran them, one in particular. Every year if it fails he said he was going to scrap it, when I left (about 5 years ago) it had 320,000 and was still going.
 Need an 'ickle car - corax
>> Two friends of mine both ran Pug 306 diesels, and only changed them because boredom
>> set in after years of trouble free motoring.

306's were good cars - good looking with a great ride/handling combination. Why can't Peugeot achieve that today ? (ride/handling that is).
 Need an 'ickle car - Old Navy
>> 306's were good cars - good looking with a great ride/handling combination. Why can't Peugeot
>> achieve that today ? (ride/handling that is).
>>
>>

Agreed, I had three of them, A 1.9 NA diesel and two D Turbos. If anyone knows of a current car with the ride and handling of the 306 please let me know.
 Need an 'ickle car - No FM2R
>>306's were good cars - good looking with a great ride/handling combination

Are you sure? I mean, they were by the standards of the day, but now? I don't think so.
 Need an 'ickle car - Alastairw
I had a 306 dt and didn't rate it tbh. Mine was particularly unreliable, and most maintenance seemed expensive compared to the Ford equivalents.
>> >>306's were good cars - good looking with a great ride/handling combination
>>
>> Are you sure? I mean, they were by the standards of the day, but now?
>> I don't think so.
>>

Are you sure? I have owned a Focus and a Ceed, both with good handling, but their ride is not in the same league as the 306.
No, I'm not sure, but I think its right.

My frame of reference is a particular stretch of country road near a place called Checkendon which I've used with various cars over the years at various speeds since I was in my early
teens.

And it seems to me that everything I drive gets faster and more comfortable and more easy to drive on that road as time goes on.
>> And it seems to me that everything I drive gets faster and more comfortable and
>> more easy to drive on that road as time goes on.
>>

I agree that things move on, faster, quieter, but the 306 hit a sweet spot of ride and handling that I have not experienced in any other similar sized car, even the current models.
 Need an 'ickle car - -
>> I agree that things move on, faster, quieter, but the 306 hit a sweet spot
>> of ride and handling that I have not experienced in any other similar sized car,
>> even the current models.
>>

Pugs and Cits of that era shared much of that suspension, it lives on in previous Berlingo/Xsara and Xsara Picasso, which IMO are just as chuckable whilst able to absorb the worst of our roads with ease.

Can't understand why everything has to be so hard sprung now, almost as if the makers are terrified some motoring writer might say the car rolls on bends, so what, is that the kiss of death for a model now if some twerp says its not sporty enough in some car rag.
 Need an 'ickle car - Alanovich

>> My frame of reference is a particular stretch of country road near a place called
>> Checkendon

Which road's that then, NF? Couldn't be much closer to my drum.
Wyfold Road.
>> Wyfold Road.
>>

Ah, yes. Will be good for bluebell spotting soon.

Not great for hooning though, too many walkers/cyclists/gee gees these days.

Imagine that road being busy! I'm never around that way at weekends, which is I imagine when it is more inhabited.

But you're right about the bluebells, all over the area. I used to work in Stoke Row, as a welder can you believe, and often wandered around the woods - I don't think I've ever worked in a more peaceful or pretty place. I was around that area last year, very sorry to see how Peppard Common has fallen into disuse.

Wyfold Road (and Lane) was one of your network of roads for use with less than entirely legal or safe bikes and cars when we were young.

It was also, at least towards the beginning around Kates Cottage, our school cross-country run route.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 18 Apr 13 at 16:45
Wanna feel homesick, NF?

The bluebells are at their peak up Wyfold Road this week:

s1192.photobucket.com/user/alanovich/library/Bluebells%20-%20Wyfold%20Road
I've lived all over the world, and still find nothing as pretty as England in spring.

Lovely.
 Need an 'ickle car - Lygonos
>> I've lived all over the world, and still find nothing as pretty as England in spring.

Indeed.

Jockland isn't bad too and has the added benefit of (much) less people spoiling it.
 Need an 'ickle car - Zero
>
>> Looking on line, there are plenty local to us on Gumtree.......Any thoughts ? Micra, Ka,
>> Matiz, Punto, Fiesta all come to mind....ideas ?

NOT a KA. 500 quid Ka's will be dangerous patched up rot boxes. 500 quid fiestas will be suspect in the body rot area as well.

A swift?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201304166297070
There is some MOT site some where, I think its on HJ which tells you what cars of a certain age have all failed on. I remember doing a pre MOT for an ex's car now I don't know a lot about mechanics but I do know that your hand going straight through the front cross member is an MOT failure! This was a Ford Ka, it was just 7 years old a the time!.

Looking underneath there was more rust than primer. It is a shame as the Endura engine is ideal in a banger because its chain cam and very easy to repair.
 Need an 'ickle car - Ted

Good comments from all. That Swift looks good, speshly as they'll do a trade in but we'll need to get a ticket on the Astra first to make it worth anything.

Off to bed now, got early appointment with cardiac rehab...hope it doesn't involve a running machine. Another after lunch with the surgeon. I'll read any more posts tomorrow afto.

Ted

>> A swift?
>>
>> www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201304166297070
>>

Not a bad choice; remarkably well-equipped for such a cheap motor. Another outsider is the SEAT Arosa; don't see many but those I do seem to be lasting quite well cosmetically. Quite a handsome little car too.
 Need an 'ickle car - Fenlander
I'd not go to a garage at the £500 price point. Sell that Astra on Ebay/Autotrader with a new ticket and the change should be at or about zero cost.

My pick... www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201304156273140
How tall is Ted's lad I wonder though? The reason I ask is the pedals are a bit offset on the 106 and I know many people with big feet can't drive them.
I know many people with big feet
>> can't drive them.
>>

The old biddies that bimble round here in 'em must have pretty big hooves then!
Last edited by: Harleyman on Wed 17 Apr 13 at 01:16
 Need an 'ickle car - Stuu
There is a diesel Citroen AX on AT, low miles too.
 Need an 'ickle car - Dog
>> His mileage in the Astra is about 10 miles a day in the week and nowt at the weekend

An ideal candidate for one of these I would have thought Teddy:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301054800817/ (try an offer, you never know)
 Need an 'ickle car - WillDeBeest
I'd want to do the sums very carefully before dropping an old but reliable known quantity for a banger. The first unscheduled repair would wipe out any savings on fuel (surely trivial anyway) and insurance. If the Astra has another good year in it, why not use it rather than risk changing?
Does he want a new car?

If not keep what he has as per WdB.

Ted, you've been around long enough - you know man maths never makes arithmetical sense in favour of chopping in a good running car.

Emissions might be down to lack of use, needing an engine service, or maybe an exhaust/cat fault especially if it's not smoking and not changed much over a couple of years. Doubt any of these would run past £100-200 to sort (read:bodge)
>> Emissions might be down to lack of use, needing an engine service, or maybe an
>> exhaust/cat fault especially if it's not smoking and not changed much over a couple of
>> years. Doubt any of these would run past £100-200 to sort (read:bodge)
>>
>>

A stiff dose of injector cleaner in the fuel tank can sometimes be a cheap fix for emission problems.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 17 Apr 13 at 09:11
 Need an 'ickle car - AnotherJohnH
>> Son has a 2000 Astra 1600 sport and he's finding the tax/insurance/fuel far too much for what he does....
>> His mileage in the Astra is about 10 miles a day in the week and nowt at the weekend.

>> It's coming up for test and the emissions have been a little too high for the last couple of years.

>> My tame tester can get round that for now but he's talking of retiring.

>> The car's mint and doesn't smoke but.......

Keep it: better the devil you know.

fuel consumption isn't (really) significant running cost difference at 10 mpd.

10 mpd explains the emissions - your tester is probably dosing it up with "Forte" or similar industrial strength cleaner.
An alternative is a couple of long runs and "Italian tune up" prior to the test.

Other running costs pale into insignificance compared with changing cars on a regular basis.

Need an 'ickle car - Runfer D'Hills
A thought to ponder Ted.

A petrol car which gets 35mpg ( don't know if the Astra does but by way of an example ) costs £8.78 a week in fuel if you do 50 miles a week.

A petrol car which does 50mpg costs £6.15 in fuel

A diesel car which does 50mpg costs £6.37in fuel

So, realistically the fuel saving benefit of changing runs at best at £2.63 a week...
Plus the Astra will be safer than any of the other suggested cars.
 Need an 'ickle car - Ted
Thanks all.

We think the rings are worn on the Astra, he keeps putting oil in. The engine was put in about 3 years ago after the car had frozen up and he'd tried to tow start it, breaking the cam belt and goosing the usual bits. I got it from one of our breakdown agents who also has a large salvage yard.

So, I won't be doing any engine repairs to it and it won't be staying 'cos it'll only get worse.

Ted
 Need an 'ickle car - Zero
Sunds like a typical vauxhall with glazed bores. Vauxhall claim 1000 miles per litre of oil is acceptable. 600 miles per litre is not unknown.
 Need an 'ickle car - Number_Cruncher
It's worth trying some running in oil to de-glaze the cylinders. This is a common problem with some Vauxhall engines, particularly if they've been used for short runs.

They cylinders don't wear significantly - the machining marks were still visible on my Astra H at just short of 100k when I had the head off it last year.

All valid suggestions, but.....

maybe it's just another "blah blah blah blah blah I/we want a new car and that's the reason I can justify ditching the old one" thread.

:-)
Latest Forum Posts