Motoring Discussion > Biofuels: 'Irrational' and 'worse than fossil fuel Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 8

Biofuels: 'Irrational' and 'worse than fossil fuel - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22127123
 Biofuels: 'Irrational' and 'worse than fossil fuel - No FM2R
Good old BBC reporting, taking a few ands, ifs, buts, maybes and possibles would the occasional could and mixing it into a good old dramatic headline.

As an aside, did you know that the BBC revises articles without changing the URL? I'm not saying that they've done it this time, but its caught people out before.
 Biofuels: 'Irrational' and 'worse than fossil fuel - Manatee
Revised at 01.29 after Henry's post.

It does on the face of it seem to be cause for concern. Perhaps not as silly as the dash for wind power, or paying people 40p a unit for solar electricity at the expense of people who can't afford the panels, but the unintended consequence if true is disastrous.
 Biofuels: 'Irrational' and 'worse than fossil fuel - Zero
Maybe it is sensationalist, but at the heart of it there is some gross stupidity going on with respect to bio fuels.
 Biofuels: 'Irrational' and 'worse than fossil fuel - jc2
Just like modern washing machines;seen as "efficient" because of cold water fill but if you need to heat the water,it uses electricity rather than taking cheaper hot water from my gas boiler supply.
 Biofuels: 'Irrational' and 'worse than fossil fuel - Mike Hannon
>>Maybe it is sensationalist, but at the heart of it there is some gross stupidity going on with respect to bio fuels.<<

+1

A few years ago an acquaintance of mine installed a central heating system fuelled by grain. He bought the grain from local farmers who were delighted to sell to him at an elevated price.
That had to be the ultimate in environmental stupidity - heating by burning food.
He has since realised the daftness he was talked into and has changed back to fossil fuel.
 Biofuels: 'Irrational' and 'worse than fossil fuel - Shiny
"Just like modern washing machines;seen as "efficient" because of cold water fill but if you need to heat the water,it uses electricity rather than taking cheaper hot water from my gas boiler supply."

In my house and many others, that would be worse as the hot water would just fill the pipes and the washer would have filled with the ambient water in the pipes, in effect heating the same 15 litres of water twice.
 Biofuels: 'Irrational' and 'worse than fossil fuel - TeeCee
>> Just like modern washing machines;seen as "efficient" because of cold water fill but if you
>> need to heat the water,it uses electricity rather than taking cheaper hot water from my
>> gas boiler supply.
>>

Someone in the business told me that's the Law of Unintended Consequences at work!
The energy testing to get the magic letter on the things tests them in isolation from any other energy source[1], so cold fill only is the drill there. The unfortunate side effect is that there's no benefit to the manufacturers in catering for hot and cold intakes, so they save the cost and delete the second set of pipework, valving etc.

As someone pointed out below, if the machine's a way from the boiler there may be little advantage anyway, but having the option if your machine is close to the hot source would be beneficial to some.

Then again, the other side-effect is that the ceramic heaters used in modern machines are actually very efficient.

[1] So Apples=Apples obviously.
 Biofuels: 'Irrational' and 'worse than fossil fuel - Manatee
>>Then again, the other side-effect is that the ceramic heaters used in modern machines are actually very efficient.

Just as efficient as any electric water heater in fact.
Latest Forum Posts