Motoring Discussion > Speeding limits for speed awareness course Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hjd Replies: 9

Speeding limits for speed awareness course - hjd
Son has just had letter from police confirming he was clocked at 62 in a 50 zone.
Is it possible he will be offered a course rather than points?
 Speeding limits for speed awareness course - Alanovich
When my missus got done (twice) recently, it had the boundaries for speeding course/points and fine on the back of the letter. Thames Valley Bizzies. May not be the same in your area.
 Speeding limits for speed awareness course - nice but dim
It think it is a regional offering rather than a national one, where is son based if you don't mind?
Was caught in Kent.
 Speeding limits for speed awareness course - movilogo
Look at that constabulary's web pages. The discretion often varies.
 Speeding limits for speed awareness course - Cliff Pope
Presumably the thinking is that someone who has (allegedly) broken the speed limit by more than a certain margin is beyond education and rehabilitation, and that only a fine can make such a person more speed-aware.
I wonder why?
 Speeding limits for speed awareness course - Runfer D'Hills
This might help...

forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?autocom=ibwiki&cmd=article&id=34
Thanks all. Looks as if course may be an option. Fingers crossed!
 Speeding limits for speed awareness course - Meldrew
Extract from ACPO Guidelines, ie not binding in law, state:-

Most police forces in England and Wales have adopted new speeding guidelines that allow motorists to do up to 86mph and avoid points on their licence.

It means drivers can pay to do a speed awareness course instead, if caught at up to 10% above the limit plus 9mph.

At a meeting of the Association of Chief Police Officers in January, it was announced that 37 out of 44 forces had signed up to the new system.
 Speeding limits for speed awareness course - idle_chatterer
Gosh you're lucky - the leeway is 3kph (<2mph) over the posted speed limit in Victoria (Australia) with the option to appeal if you're less than 10kph (~6mph) over and haven't offended for 2 or 3 years. Fine is about GBP120, tell me that's not just stealth taxation then ? I believe other states are similarly harsh too.

It is particularly noticeable on the freeway (motorway) that people just don't speed, mind you overtaking on the left and doing u-turns on busy streets are considered perfectly normal.
Last edited by: idle_chatterer on Mon 15 Apr 13 at 13:41
Latest Forum Posts