Motoring Discussion > Toll Roads Algarve Miscellaneous
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 7

Toll Roads Algarve - maltrap
Just booked a week in the Algarve in May. Picking up a hire car at Faro airport I've been doing a bit of research on Tripadvisor and it seems a bit of a "messy" situation regarding the payment of road tolls. Has any anyone driven on the A22 recently, and how did they get on paying the toll ?
 Toll Roads Algarve - mikeyb
Funnily enough I'm off there on business on Monday and was wondering the same thing
 Toll Roads Algarve - rtj70
I travelled on the A22 on a coach a few weeks back. Didn't see toll booths so it has to be relying on you having something in the car. And if not, then you have to pay at a post office apparently.

Wasn't there a thread on this on here a few weeks ago?

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=13495&v=f

For the airport transfers, the mini buses used only went on the A22 for a short distance - presumably to reduce toll charges?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 4 Apr 13 at 22:40
 Toll Roads Algarve - maltrap
Thanks for that link, i think i'll steer clear of the A22, and maybe the Algarve in future.
 Toll Roads Algarve - Chas
There was another thread on this recently.
We we were there last September the toll system was very simple. No toll booths but you will be offered by the hire company an electronic unit that registers with overhead gantries that clock tolls. At the end of the hire period your credit card is charged with the daily hire of the unit plus any tolls. No messing about in post offices at all. Worked really well.
Toll system was painless last week. Europcar offered me a little box for 1.50 a day. Every time you drive under the gantry the little box bleeped to acknowledge, and apparently Europcar will bill me in a few weeks time.

The guy explained that it takes a few weeks for them to get the bill for the tolls, and that they would just pass on the cost to me and charge my card as and when.

The tolls looked to be quite cheap. I drove from Faro to Seville and I don't recall any of the charges being more than 2 euros and some as few as 60c.

May have been the time of year, but the road was very quiet - only took me 2 hours each way
 Toll Roads Algarve - lancara
Should have been €5 total for the Portuguese section - you were lucky, that the Spanish section isn't a toll road, as when they are, the charges can be very high - example in Murcia - 19 miles = €5.70. Not surprisingly the company running the toll road is bankrupt because people are boycotting it
We stayed up near Valencia last year and used the toll road quite a bit - the AP7 IIRC.

After 2 weeks we reckoned we had spent something like 70 euros - OK when on holiday as a one off, but not something that I think you would want to entertain long term
Latest Forum Posts