Motoring Discussion > What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 70

What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - L'escargot
... on the boot lid?

I thought about slicing it off with a length of strong thread, and then removing any remains of the adhesive with Sticky Stuff Remover. Has anyone tried this?

I remembered to specify "No stickers in the back window, please.", but it didn't occur to me that they might stick an advertising badge on the outside.
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - Zero
I hate that, you take it back tell them they have damaged the car and to get it off and fix it. Its not what you purchased. Curry Motors used to be sods for doing that, horrid badge it was too.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 4 Apr 13 at 09:40
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - Cliff Pope
Tell them your advertising rate is £50 pw - would they like to accept that or remove their advertisement?

I read of someone who at supermarket checkouts would ask what their advertising rate was.
If the cashier looked blank or refused to pay, he turned the plastic bag inside-out.
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - Stuartli
>> I read of someone who at supermarket checkouts would ask what their advertising rate was. If the cashier looked blank or refused to pay, he turned the plastic bag inside-out.>>

You have to pay to obtain a bag at, for instance, Lidl or Aldi, never mind proving an advertising asset for them...:-)
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - Slidingpillar
I have an assortment of decent re-usable carrier bags - all branded, but given to me. Always feel as though I should not be using a Sainsburys bag in Waitrose etc; not that it stops me.
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - Harleyman

>> You have to pay to obtain a bag at, for instance, Lidl or Aldi, never
>> mind proving an advertising asset for them...:-)
>>

And in Wales, all of them.
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - henry k
I have not tried it but the best advice I have seen is
Warm it gently with a hair dryer and then saw it off with dental floss.
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - No FM2R
Just don't do it on a cold day, since that will make the adhesive more difficult.
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - Alanovich
Begging the obvious question..........

What new car have you bought, L'es?
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - madf
Apply hot water bottle full of hot water to badge and surrounding body work. (No risk of paint damage as with hairdryer).
When hot, take one nylon thread and saw under badge,
Remove badge.
Clean remaining glue with white spirit.
Polish area.
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - Clk Sec
I removed one of these over a period of a few weeks by giving it a good soak in soapy water each time I washed the car, followed by some very gentle prizing.

But it might be safer to leave it to the dealer when you book it in for the first service. I doubt that you would have to pay for the privilege.
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - WillDeBeest
You could ask the man who's made all kinds of retail insignia disappear...

...George Osborne.
Ho Ho Ho Ho......

Comedy on the hoof....
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - VxFan
>> Begging the obvious question..........
>> What new car have you bought, L'es?

Guessing it's a 2013 1.6 Ford Focus

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=13658
Didn't spot that, don't often peruse Technical.

Had hoped he'd get a V40. :-(
>> Didn't spot that, don't often peruse Technical.

Well now you bought a renault.....

(sorry couldn't resist)
>> >> Didn't spot that, don't often peruse Technical.
>> Well now you bought a renault.....
>> (sorry couldn't resist)

Very good :-), but seeing as they barely sold any and no-one on here has ever so much as been in one so far as I can tell, I don't think I'll get much joy on this site if it does go mammaries skyward.
oh I have been in and driven one, really nice cars, loads of toys, quiet comfortable (tho the half leather seats in the goona two had the edge), and you have one with the sensible tyres so it rides better and is more quiet.

I never forgave Renault for making such a pig sheet awful looking thing tho, those front lights!

Which is one of the main reasons it bombed here and sales dropped in Europe. I could actually forgive flakey reliability but not ugly too.

Anyway back to the OP

Sticking dealers badges on bodywork is my number one pet hate. I would have gone ballistic and refused to leave the premises till they fixed it.
>> Didn't spot that, don't often peruse Technical.
>>
>> Had hoped he'd get a V40. :-(

Nah, it was always going to be another Ford Focus. I could have been rich but William Hill wouldn't take the bet.
>> Had hoped he'd get a V40. :-(
>>

The best the Volvo dealer and Volvo Cars UK Ltd between them could do to arrange a test drive in an equivalent V40 was an eight weeks wait. Eight weeks wait to test drive a lowly V40! It took my Ford dealer 3 days ~ plus they offered to deliver it to my house.
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - CGNorwich
What else but one of these

nagoyajapan1.wordpress.com/tag/s-cargo/

>> What else but one of these
>>
>> nagoyajapan1.wordpress.com/tag/s-cargo/
>>
>>
>>

Designer graduated in urban chic ugliness I see.
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - -
Hair dryer will remove them even after several years, window should only need a gentle Windowlean or similar wipe down after.

Doh read the OP proper first, forget the Windowlean..;)
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Thu 4 Apr 13 at 18:51
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - Dave_
Pull it off*, roll the residual gluey bits off with your thumb, polish paintwork afterwards. Heat can help more of the sticky come off with the badge. Don't use any implements, you'll only scratch the lacquer. When I worked at the bottom of the food chain in a bodyshop I removed badges and side rubbing strips like this every day.

*The grip between the sticky pad and the paint is not as strong as the grip between the paint and the panel underneath.
>> Pull it off*, roll the residual gluey bits off with your thumb, polish paintwork afterwards.
>> Heat can help more of the sticky come off with the badge. Don't use any
>> implements, you'll only scratch the lacquer. When I worked at the bottom of the food
>> chain in a bodyshop I removed badges and side rubbing strips like this every day.
>>
>> *The grip between the sticky pad and the paint is not as strong as the
>> grip between the paint and the panel underneath.
>>

Thanks Dave_TDCi. I waited until the sun had warmed it up, and then peeled the badge off. It didn't leave any sticky stuff at all on the bodywork. I've stuck the badge onto the edge of one of the shelves of the tool storage rack in my garage.

I'm now thinking about having a go at removing the "Econetic Technology" badge. It doesn't serve any useful purpose.

>> I'm now thinking about having a go at removing the "Econetic Technology" badge. It doesn't
>> serve any useful purpose.

Niether does the FORD badge, you gonna rip that off?
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - Runfer D'Hills
When I briefly had a Vauxhall Signum a couple or three years ago. I began to notice that others with Signi and Vectras sometimes removed the Vauxhall badges. Some of them even replaced them with Opel badges. That wasn't the only reason I got rid of it but y'know...sad or what?
oh dear look, I got a frowny face for that, how pathetic.
>> Begging the obvious question..........
>>
>> What new car have you bought, L'es?
>>

Ford Focus Titanium X with 1.6 litre EcoBoost 182ps petrol engine. The dealer agreed to swap the original 17" wheels and tyres with the 16" wheels and tyres from a Focus Titanium. Optional extras were Sony radio/CD/satnav, and door edge protectors. Colour ~ solid Race Red.
Purely by chance I met the person who had subsequently bought the Titanium and he was pleased to get "my" 17" wheels.
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - crocks
I wonder whether they charged him extra for them.
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - mikeyb
Bet hes paid a couple hundred extra for them. Win win for the dealer - 2 sales closed, 2 happy punters and a bit more profit
>> I wonder whether they charged him extra for them.
>>

Nope. No charge. Also F.O.C. was recalibration of the speedometer to cater for the difference in the rolling radius. Also F.O.C was borrowing a demonstrator from a another dealer 40 miles away, so that I could have a 100 miles test drive. Also F.O.C. was the cost of arranging and repaying the next day a finance agreement with Ford so that I could take advantage of Ford's offer of £2000 towards the deposit. Also F.O.C. was the labour cost of transferring the registration number from my previous car. I got a good trade-in price and an 8% discount plus the £2000 from Ford so I was happy. My dealer's approach is to keep their customers happy.
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - mikeyb
>> >> I wonder whether they charged him extra for them.
>> >>
>>
>> Nope. No charge. Also F.O.C. was recalibration of the speedometer to cater for the difference
>> in the rolling radius. Also F.O.C was borrowing a demonstrator from a another dealer 40
>> miles away, so that I could have a 100 miles test drive. Also F.O.C. was
>> the cost of arranging and repaying the next day a finance agreement with Ford so
>> that I could take advantage of Ford's offer of £2000 towards the deposit. Also F.O.C.
>> was the labour cost of transferring the registration number from my previous car. I got
>> a good trade-in price and an 8% discount plus the £2000 from Ford so I
>> was happy. My dealer's approach is to keep their customers happy.
>>

I would hope all the above was FOC - 8% discount is not overly generous on a Focus - brokers can manage double that before the 2K offer, but then it appears they have kept you happy. Nice deal for all concerned.
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - bathtub tom
>> The dealer agreed to swap the original 17" wheels and tyres with the 16" wheels and tyres

I like that, but what's in the boot?
>> >> The dealer agreed to swap the original 17" wheels and tyres with the 16"
>> wheels and tyres
>>
>> I like that, but what's in the boot?
>>

The standard spacer saver spare.
>> The dealer agreed toswap the original 17" wheels and tyres with the 16" wheels and tyres from a Focus Titanium.
>> Purely by chance I met the person who had subsequently bought the Titanium and he was pleased to get "my" 17" wheels.

Have you and the other party told each of your insurance companies of the vehicle mods?
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 6 Apr 13 at 21:19
>> Have you and the other party told each of your insurance companies of the vehicle
>> mods?
>>

I did.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 7 Apr 13 at 18:45
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - corax
>> I did.

Are you happy with the seats in your new car L'escargot? No bolsters I presume?
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 7 Apr 13 at 18:45
>> Are you happy with the seats in your new car L'escargot? No bolsters I presume?

The backrest bolsters are OK. Those on the squab are higher and harder than I would prefer, but not as bad as on most small family cars I've sat in. I decided that I had to compromise on that aspect. Goodness knows why they're now part of car seat designs. I certainly don't see it as being an improvement.
>> >> Have you and the other party told each of your insurance companies of the
>> vehicle
>> >> mods?
>> >>
>>
>> I did.
>>

They were only interested in how it altered the value of the car. My wheel/tyre change reduced the value.
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - Manatee
Z correct. Get dealer to do it. Risk of damage then with them.
>> Z correct. Get dealer to do it. Risk of damage then with them.
>>
I would not risk some junior messing it up. Then what a a partial respray ?
It is not rocket science :-)
I'd have the dealer principal doing it. Naked. In the street. With my cattle prod aimed at his Gonads.

Have I told you I hate cheap nasty plastic dealers labels stuck on the bodywork?
>>Have I told you I hate cheap nasty plastic dealers labels stuck on the bodywork?
>>
Perhaps my local Curries will supply a free badge and then you could show your feelings by dancing on it.

I am with you in removing all such add ons even the nasty stick on plastic tax disk holders with of course adverts on them.
One of the strangest ones I removed was the Daily Express logo fixed on my Ford Crusaders rump.
But it is still available - would you believe it !!!!
www.oldpartstore.net/shop/1311-crusader-rear-panel-knight-emblemred.html
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - Manatee
>> >> Z correct. Get dealer to do it. Risk of damage then with them.
>> >>
>> I would not risk some junior messing it up. Then what a a partial respray
>> ?
>> It is not rocket science :-)

I would have removed it. You would. Les asked on an Internet forum. Tailored response.
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - Mr. Ecs
Strong pressure washer will blast it off. Done it on decals left on an ex hire car many moons ago bought at auction. Didn't damage paintwork, quick removal. No faffing with hair dryers, hot water bottles or floss.
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - Armel Coussine
There's something about this thread title that provokes.

'Ey Tyrone, awrigh'?'

'Awrigh'. Get that thing out of my face man.'

'You know what it is then?'

'Yeah it's Winston's Glock innit? Get it out of my face man.'

'No. Let's have the medallion and the chain and the other chains, awrigh'?'

'****in raasclaat, you serious?'

'You be dead if you doubt it. Let's have 'em.'

'You ain't heard the last of this.'

'No problem man. Er, respect.'

'Respect. You just wait.'

'Respect.'

Heh heh...
Are you still able to use your garage for its intended purpose?

Nice car, L'escargot. A neighbour bought one in panther black a few months ago. Very smart indeed.
"Very smart indeed."

Yep those 17" wheels do look good. :-)
Well, the other fella thought so.
>> "Very smart indeed."
>>
>> Yep those 17" wheels do look good. :-)
>>

The tyre suspension comfort factor of 215/55 R16 tyres is greater than that of 215/50 R17. tinyurl.com/69pkmk

Also, 215/55 R16 tyres are cheaper than 215/50 R17.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sun 7 Apr 13 at 16:05
But it is a fact that suspension comfort factor is equal and opposite to the coefficient of coolness.
This is the first time since I left school a million years ago that I have found reason to consider Spearman's coefficient of rank correlation in a conversation.
>> Also, 215/55 R16 tyres are cheaper than 215/50 R17.

And 225/45/17 tyres are cheaper than the 215/50/17, which is why I swapped to the alternate size for my Vectra.
>> Are you still able to use your garage for its intended purpose?

It's a bit more of a squeeze lengthwise, but it still fits. I could always remove the workbench at the end of the garage if I absolutely wanted more room when checking under the bonnet.
>>suspension comfort

I'll be looking for Comfort when I (hopefully) replace my LHB later this year. I've had to knock a number of otherwise suitable replacements off the list because of their firm/sports suspension.

And, don't even mention manufacturers who insist on fitting privacy glass in all but their most basic spec models.
:)
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sun 7 Apr 13 at 17:26
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - swiss tony
>> And, don't even mention manufacturers who insist on fitting privacy glass in all but their
>> most basic spec models.
>> :)
>>

I really am getting fed up at the number of people moaning about having to have privacy glass on new cars
Its got to the point where nearly everyone talking to the salesman about specs asks if it can be deleted.
Of course it can't!
The manufacturers know what people want, so its time to stop complaining. ;-)

What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - ....
>> The manufacturers know what people want, so its time to stop complaining. ;-)
>>
I wonder if L'es remembered to get the torque-vector braking switched off FOC ? As he is prone to the odd bit of motorbike baiting I wonder if his brake bills will go up or down with some spirited cornering ?
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - Londoner
>> I really am getting fed up at the number of people moaning about having to have privacy glass on new cars
>> Its got to the point where nearly everyone talking to the salesman about specs asks if it can be deleted.
>> Of course it can't! The manufacturers know what people want, so its time to stop complaining. ;-)
>>

I was just getting ready to launch into full "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" mode ......whn I saw the wink at the end of your post!

Reminds me of the story of the shopkeeper who says to the customer, "You must be the 20th person today who has asked my for that particular product. I keep telling you all. We don't stock it because there's NO DEMAND!"

>>
>> I'll be looking for Comfort when I (hopefully) replace my LHB later this year. I've
>> had to knock a number of otherwise suitable replacements off the list because of their
>> firm/sports suspension.
>>
>> And, don't even mention manufacturers who insist on fitting privacy glass in all but their
>> most basic spec models.
>> :)
>>

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

What's wrong with privacy glass?
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - neiltoo
Nothing, it protects the rest of us from ugly children.
>> What's wrong with privacy glass?
>>

I just wish I was young enough to be doing things on the back seat that I didn't want passersby to see!
>>
*Disclaimer* This is not a pro/anti privacy glass rant - just an attempt to explain why it arouses such strong feelings.

There are lots of features on cars which arouse strong opinions, but privacy glass is one of those which causes most annoyance and I think that this is for two main reasons:

a) You can't simply ignore it, or just not use it.
If you don't like air conditioning you don't have to switch it on, for example. You don't have to use automatic lights, or heated seats either. You may be annoyed at having to pay for features that you don't use, but at least you can ignore them.
There is no escaping privacy glass. Fine if you like it, but d----d annoying if you don't! :-)

b) The way that many manufacturers organize their options list.
To take one example, on certain Toyotas, the ONLY way to get leather is to go for a higher spec model. You can't simply spec leather on a more basic model. The trouble with that is that if you DO go for the higher spec model then you have to take privacy glass as well.
Toyota are only one example, of course, the trend seems to be spreading quite quickly.
>>

I just wish I was a drug dealer so that I needed privacy glass.
:-D
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - Crankcase
Funnily enough the last two posts cover us - we looked at a new Toyota the other week but it was vetoed within a second as it only came with privacy glass. Mrs C said she didn't want a drug dealer's car, so that was that.

Ok, but it must be an appearance thing, surely? We've got a couple of Toyotas, one with, one without. They look different from the outside, but I can't notice any difference from the inside.

I must say, privacy glass is not something I would pay for, or pay to avoid.
>> Ok, but it must be an appearance thing, surely?

Yes it is. (And don't call me Shirley!) :-)

Privacy glass DOES have practical uses, but aesthetically it looks ghastly (at least to me).

To me, privacy glass on a car looks as unappealing as if they had replaced the dark glass with metal panels and turned the car into a van. Or the car was painted in two different colours - for example, the font half silver and the rear half black.

However, Mrs L likes privacy glass, so we shall probably wind up getting a car with it eventually.

>> To me, privacy glass on a car looks as unappealing as if they had replaced
>> the dark glass with metal panels and turned the car into a van. Or the
>> car was painted in two different colours - for example, the font half silver and
>> the rear half black.

Unless of course the car is black, where privacy glass looks the bees knees.

There is of course privacy glass and various shades of tinting, I dont like full black, but various smokey shades up to that look good.
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - Dog
>>Unless of course the car is black, where privacy glass looks the bees knees

More like one of these: 4hearse.com/FUNERALVAN-MidwestMedicalExaminers.480.JPG
 What's the best way to remove a dealer's badge ... - Meldrew
I got an unwanted plastic badge, (dealer details) off the back window of my car by softening it, and the adhesive, with the steam jet from a hand held cleaner. Got one corner lifted and then it peeled off in one piece.
Latest Forum Posts