Motoring Discussion > barely legal Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zookeeper Replies: 18

barely legal - zookeeper
if you havnt seen this please do...

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01rrxyw/Barely_Legal_Drivers_Tommy_and_Chantelle/
 barely legal - Shiny
What a load of rubbish.
As if there isn't enough 'reality TV' trying to make entertainment out of the low class.
 barely legal - Bromptonaut
I believe one of the participants is claiming they were tricked - thought they were in something more like TOWIE.
 barely legal - zookeeper
i think the producer of the documentary obviously knew his onions.... Bristol and Kent...FFS, Obnoxious people and accents
 barely legal - Armel Coussine
I looked at this because it said it was about driving. Being presented immediately with a closeup shot from inside a car of two fat stupid disagreeable children, I realised it wasn't about driving and left. I didn't need to stay to find out that they were bad drivers.
 barely legal - mikeyb
>> i think the producer of the documentary obviously knew his onions.... Bristol and Kent...FFS, Obnoxious
>> people and accents
>>

Not really Bristol, it was Thornbury which is a fairly nice area, and quite desirable in parts. Not to far from where I used to live, so I assume that also categorises me as obnoxious.

Agree it was car crash TV, the girl was chosen because of the life story (mother died when she was 8), and the routes she was given to drive were odd to someone who knew the area.
 barely legal - No FM2R
I just watched the whole thing.

I can't say that I thought any of the people involved were obnoxious, in fact they seemed pretty normal to me - although that in itself is a bit terrifying. Mind you, neither did I see much justification for the title "low class". Perhaps my understanding of class is different.

I think the show was rubbish, and not my sort of thing, but do any of us really believe that if we were shown a video now of three drives that we did when were a teenager it would be respectable viewing? If you do then I don't believe you.

For sure I would have come across as no better than these two. In fact, they both turned out reasonably well in the end I thought. Although the production makes such a huge difference we can't know for sure.

Good luck to the pair of them, and it made me think about what I will probably have to deal with a few years from now.
Perhaps I should have stayed with it and let them grow on me FMR. But life seemed too short somehow. First impressions are important.
 barely legal - mattbod
Actually I must say that coming from Kent and going to a private school that there is a lot of tosh talked here. It does not matter what class you are (the boy was a young suburbanite and the girl from a poorer family btw) all young drivers are a potential menace. I thought these kids did a better job than most and that boy was actually a calm and reserved driver most of the time. I thought he should have got the car but killed it by trying to drive under influence. The lass was much more dangerous with using phone whilst driving taking her hands off wheel for ages and yet she got the car.

But come on guys knock of the Daily Mail style class bigotry please. I had a fortunate upbringing yet I was a testosterone filled little pfd who though he knew it all at 18 behind the wheel too!
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 4 Apr 13 at 01:16
 barely legal - Dutchie
I did see the program not sure where class comes into it ? I didn't have a privileged upbringing matt,but as a 18 year old I wasn't that dissimilair to you.>;)
 barely legal - mattbod
Sooty was talking about "entertainment from the low classes2 but I guess he was being flippant lol. It is ok I am not that chippy about things like that but I was a muppet driver as a teen boy like most teen boys are tbh. Although there was only soo much speed you could get out of a 45 bhp FIAT Uno lol
Last edited by: mattbod on Wed 3 Apr 13 at 23:57
 barely legal - Shiny
"Although there was only soo much speed you could get out of a 45 bhp FIAT Uno" Apart from the white one that was once glimpsed in a French tunnel.
>> there was only soo much speed you could get out of a 45 bhp FIAT Uno

Yes, but there was a Uno Turbo with quite understated looks that could do 120mph and accelerate like a scalded cat. I quite fancy one but if there's a decent one still alive it will be valuable.
 barely legal - bathtub tom
I recall they fitted ABS on Unos as a later addition, the car was never designed for it.

Every time you braked hard enough for the ABS to kick in, it needed the tracking re-adjusting.
 barely legal - zookeeper
if tracking wasnt adjustable, then surely it would only stay true? this keeps me awake at night
 barely legal - mattbod
Hmmm my Uno would do about 95 max and the brakes were abysmal. It was a nice sweet revvy little engine though. It is a shame the rest of the car fell apart around it.
 barely legal - Shiny
Busted!
www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/police-probe-bbc-teen-driver/5053800.article?blocktitle=LATEST-NEWS&contentID=870
 barely legal - Bromptonaut
ST

That link seems to need a login?
 barely legal - VxFan
Try this one instead

tinyurl.com/bnve32r - Daily Wail

edit - or any one of these found via Google:- tinyurl.com/cy4l8o9
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 17 Apr 13 at 21:37
Latest Forum Posts