Motoring Discussion > Ford Mondeo 1 - 96 1.8 Need to replace aging banger
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 3

Ford Mondeo 1 - 96 1.8 Need to replace aging banger - Robin O'Reliant
My fourteen year old Mondeo 1.8TD is coming to the end of it's life. Rear bumper is held on by a bungee cord, the exhaust and rear shocks will also probably fall foul of the MoT in August, the timing belt is due a change and rust is beginning to bubble through on one of the front wings.

In short, it is like Monty Python's Parrot, a long way past sleeping after a long squawk.

Believe it or not, I have never bought a car privately in my life. All have come from dealers, from brand new to death traps at various times in my life. So I need guidance on a replacement, must be Mondeo size or there abouts because of the goods I need to carry, diesel as I cover 15k minimum per year, and most important of all I can't go much over a grand.

So any suggestions as to what to look for, and what to watch out for buying privately would be most appreciated.
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Fri 21 May 10 at 17:02
 Ford Mondeo 1 - 96 1.8 Need to replace aging banger - Robin O'Reliant
I meant to put this in Motoring discussion. Any chance of a move please, Mods?

--------> Kick
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 21 May 10 at 18:55
 Ford Mondeo 1 - 96 1.8 Need to replace aging banger - RattleandSmoke
Older vectras are easily had for £1k, or what about a 406 with the old XUD engine?

Also £1k might just about buy a very early MK3 Mondeo.

There is a nice Skoda Octavia with 350k on the clock on ebay within your budget :)
 Ford Mondeo 1 - 96 1.8 Need to replace ageing banger - Avant
For £1,000 it's condition that matters much more than make of car, or indeed mileage. You just need to look for something the size you need that appears to have been well looked after and regularly serviced.

You could well end up with another Mondeo if you like the idea. You might also find a Rover 75 estate if you're lucky - these are better cars than many people think.
Latest Forum Posts