Motoring Discussion > Car selling questions? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 11

Car selling questions? - nice but dim
I have a car with a MOT (hopefully next week!) which I need to sell. It is on a SORN regarding tax and is also uninsured. Assuming the car has an MOT next week and if a buyer is found, is it just a case of him going to the local post office with the MOT cert, his insurance document for bought car and the little green slip with new keepers details on?

Also could you advise what time to end a car auction on eBay given current daylight hours and punters wanting to view, experiences also wanted of other car selling sites to list on (Gumtree, Pistonheads etc.)

Many thanks,

Tim.

EDIT - sorry for repetitive questions which you will have already heard, cant find conclusive proof on t'internet.
Last edited by: nice but dim on Tue 5 Mar 13 at 11:31
 Car selling questions? - Mapmaker
How do you get it to and from the MOT station without insurance?
I've booked 1 day insurance through Aviva for next week and also have a booked session at a local MOT centre. I'm aware it is thin ground doing this but it legal.
 Car selling questions? - No FM2R
Why is it thin ground?

Insofar as the auction is concerned, I don't think you want to worry too much about timing in respect of viewing, but you do want to maximise the chances of a bidding war at the end.

So finish it at a time which is convenient for car buying people to be in front of a computer screen. I'd go for a Thursday mid-evening.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 5 Mar 13 at 14:56
 Car selling questions? - Alastairw
For ebay auctions I have always thought a Sunday evening finish is best. Gives the customer all weekend to um and ahh (or even view) before whacking in a late bid.
 Car selling questions? - Zero
>> For ebay auctions I have always thought a Sunday evening finish is best. Gives the
>> customer all weekend to um and ahh (or even view) before whacking in a late
>> bid.

Yup, ending at 7pm if its a boy toy you are selling, 8:30pm if its a girl toy.
 Car selling questions? - madf
I never buy anything closing Sunday pm. Too expensive.

Best deals - for a buyer - end Tuesday and Wednesday 11am to 4 pm.
 Car selling questions? - Zero
>> I never buy anything closing Sunday pm. Too expensive.

Excellent, you just confirmed its the best if you are selling.
Thanks for replies, what about the no tax scenario, is it how I described it about right? I very infrequently buy and even less sell cars privately.
 Car selling questions? - DP
Beware of the seller fees on eBay. For cars, I believe it's £10 insertion fee, plus £20-£35 final value fee depending on what the car makes. If the buyers settles with PayPal, they will also charge you 3% or so (again dependent) of the transaction in commission. Not difficult at all to end up paying more than £50 to sell a car on eBay. Worth insisting on cash on collection to at least avoid PayPal's bit.

I ended my relationship with eBay / PayPal a few months ago after being royally stitched up by a fraudulent buyer and having PayPal reduce my wife to tears on the phone (no easy task) with a very aggressive phone call, but I have to say I had a pretty good experience selling three cars (all sub £1k) on there. My last one went to Poland :-)

Zero consequence for rotten buyers on the Bay though. You can't even leave them negative feedback, and reporting them to eBay achieves nothing. Which is why it's a haven for crooks and timewasters.
Last edited by: DP on Wed 6 Mar 13 at 08:27
Thanks DP, will insist on cash on collection. Low value car, only expecting £400 tops. In a flip side to SFD's dilemma, it will probably cover a full set of tyres for my current car :(
 Car selling questions? - AshT
Have you thought about selling on Autotrader NBD? Cost is comparable with Ebay, but it seems to attract buyers rather than the parasites, tyre kickers, and outright maniacs that an ebay listing draws out of the woodwork.

My father recently sold his car - which had been on ebay twice and attracted several non-payers, probable scammers, and timewasters - within three days of the ad going up on AT. When I sold the previous Saab I didn't even bother with ebay - put it on AT and it sold within a week, with no hassle.
Last edited by: AshT on Wed 6 Mar 13 at 09:26
Latest Forum Posts