Motoring Discussion > Q cars Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 26

Q cars - BobbyG
Ultimate Q Car?...

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201302225450638

Very practical for carrying the family and dog.....
 Q cars - sooty123
Very unusual as well, I didn't know that the 8 cyl was an option in a passat.
 Q cars - madf
I saw one at the NCC Motor Show in 1999 (?).

Totally forgettable.
 Q cars - DP
Slower 0-62 time than my 320d. Distinctly unimpressive with 4 litres under the bonnet, and 21 mpg combined.
Last edited by: DP on Mon 4 Mar 13 at 07:52
 Q cars - -
If it was a reliable vehicle, not a VW..;) that would make an excellent LPG mule.

I love wolves in sheeps clothing.
 Q cars - Zero
thats a sheep in grannys clothing.
 Q cars - -
>> thats a sheep in grannys clothing.
>>

exactly, the perfect stealth car.

There's a roughly 3 year old Passat estate round our way thats fantastically quick, not badged up and has the sort of instant and amazing pick up that can only come from something serious under the bonnet, it appears to be an umarked plodmobile.
I'm hazarding a 2.8 V6, likely or not?
 Q cars - nice but dim
Not a 2.8 at 3 years old, the current generation has a 3.6 version of the same engine.

www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Volkswagen-Passat-R36-CAR-review/
 Q cars - -
>>the current generation has a 3.6 version of the same engine.
>>

Thanks NBD, that explains why it took off like a scalded cat, he came up very rapidly to a roundabout leading to a hill i often let the old MB let off steam up, car driven a bit too competently sort of thing so hung back, sure enough a non hi vizzed plod, seen the same car sitting behind an X5 on a slip road with recessed blues flashing.
 Q cars - nice but dim
The Passat W8.

I've searched for a visual layout but cant find one. How does 8 cyliners in a 'W' layout work. Only way I can think of of anything resembling a W is to join two 60 degree V4's side by side so you get an engine with 1 bank of two, 2 banks of 2 and 1 bank of 2. I cant imagine the engine having two crankshafts.

If that makes sense! I would say it was more of a 'Y' engine.
 Q cars - nice but dim
Just found one, it doesn't resemble a W at at all! More like a V square 4.
 Q cars - rtj70
You're right to say it combines two V4 engines to make the W. The W engine layout is a fairly complex solution to a problem. I am surprised they went with it at all.

Presumably they used the W8 in the Passat to iron out issues with the larger W16's?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 4 Mar 13 at 15:46
 Q cars - TeeCee
My fleet car in CZ was a very impressive "Q" car.

Skoda Octavia 20v Turbo 4x4. Basically an Audi TT Quattro with an Octavia-shaped body dropped onto it. This one was in the trim of the "Rider" model, aka basic but with free climate control and a little boot spoiler, which was offered to get people to continue to buy the Mk1 while they ramped up production on the Mk2 and to all intents and purposes was a very ordinary Octavia. Identical cars were like fleas on a dog, but invariably either 1.6 petrol or 1.9TD engined. Anyone who didn't or couldn't read the model badging on the back got a very nasty surprise and with bootfuls of power on tap coupled with 4x4 to get it on the road it was the perfect vehicle for the "traffic light grand prix".

The local habit of sitting up the chuff of the vehicle in front and continually attempting to overtake would often end in tears for those failing to read the back of the thing in the winter come the first bend.
 Q cars - DP
I remember going for a fast drive as a passenger in a V8 Jaguar XJR. It actually made me swear when the guy floored it. Savagely quick, yet looks like something your grandfather might trundle about in.
 Q cars - -
I was a passenger in a probably 3 year old 1969 XJ6 manual with overdrive, cruised at 100mph at something 2000rpm, that flyover bend as you go from M6 sth onto M1 sth (permanently50mph now) is quite sharp at 120...;)

deceiving looking car.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 4 Mar 13 at 12:44
 Q cars - R.P.
The 3 Series feels a bit of Q car - looking quite drab, easily mistaken for a small petrol or diesel engined motor - goes like stink though.
 Q cars - PeterS
The most Q-car like car I've owned is a 535d touring in a dull grey, SE trim, beige leather, standard wheels. None of your blingy M Sport stuff :-) Easy to make very swift progress in on almost all roads, and didn't seem to upset other road users either!!
 Q cars - DP
The old XJR. This brings back memories. Sombre styling, five seats, plush carpets, wood and leather, and a slushbox meets the brute force of a supercharged V8. Feels even more impressive than it looks:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6BnhdMDSLY

Q cars - Westpig
>> The old XJR. This brings back memories. Sombre styling, five seats, plush carpets, wood and
>> leather, and a slushbox meets the brute force of a supercharged V8. Feels even more
>> impressive than it looks:

I persuaded a mate to buy one a few years back, when he wanted a toy (he's now got a W12 Bentley)....it was seriously quick.

He admitted after it had gone that he missed it..because no one looked at it twice...yet it could see off most things on the road. It was black with a beige leather interior and a shed load of extras. Very nice car.
 Q cars - BobbyG
I don't think any BMWs can be included in Q cars, - I think most folk would assume that any BMW should be able to shift?
 Q cars - henry k
>>I think most folk would assume that any BMW should be able to shift?
>>
On the other hand most folks would assume this would not shift.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlMh9SOPvGk

If you saw this in your mirrors then "NO contest".
bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.co.uk/2009_07_01_archive.html
 Q cars - BobbyG
Now that looks like fun!!

Did someone not put a huge engine in a Transit sometime recently, was it Cosworth or something... google time....

seems there have been a few
www.greatbritishsportscars.net/xj220-transit-van/

Q cars - Zero
This has always been my favourite fast van

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaW_35KPDBY
 Q cars - BobbyG
Hope you didn't tell Humph!!!!
 Q cars - a900ss
What blows the Passat out of the Q car club is that fact it had quad exhausts exiting from the back if I remember.

Far too shouty for a true Q car.
 Q cars - -
>> Far too shouty for a true Q car.
>>

Couldn't agree more, from AMG Mercs and M BMW's to the rather tasty V8 engined baby Lexus.

Each of them ruined IMO by cheap looking boy racer exhausts poking out the back, too bling too much look at me, those cars don't need to display attract like some randy peacock the sound and effortless pace says enough.
 Q cars - NeilS
I had an Octavia 2.0 TFSi vRS remapped to 250 bhp. It went very well indeed, still miss it. Mine was in race blue so no chance of Q car status but I imagine a silver one with the small front and rear badges removed may squeeze in somewhere on your list.
Latest Forum Posts