Motoring Discussion > Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - Renting one at the moment Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Netsur Replies: 19

Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - Renting one at the moment - Netsur
Ugh!

Possibly one of the least attractive and enjoyable cars to drive on the road. It is spacious but not comfortable, sluggish and with an interior more than reminiscent of a 1990s Renault.

I do not understand why there is a digital readout for the fuel and water temp, but it also has a rev counter. If they wanted to save money, why put in a rev counter. It is completely wasted on this car. Luckily (volcano permitting) I will be handing it back tomorrow afternoon.

I haven't done enough miles to give a full consideration to its merits, but I hope never to drive one again, on the basis of 50 kilometres on the motorway and few local trips around town.

I suppose the only thing in its favour is the space and price. Useful in low income countries with families with large numbers of children.
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - Renting one at the moment - Mike Hannon
For my life I cannot figure out why A - Renault sell them in France; B - why the French want to buy them.
If they can't afford a new Renault why not just buy a youngish Clio or something, rather than a poverty-spec, yesterday's technology, cut-down real motor?
The delightful French woman from whom we bought our house, whom I always regarded as a sharp cookie (well she got the money out of me) has just bought a Logan estate (dreadful, ugly thing) after owning her Renault 19 for about 15 years. Maybe the buying price was about the same this time round?
The only bright spot is - every time I am stuck in traffic behind a Dacia 1.4MPI I remember Lud (AC) saying he'd just seen a car called a Lumpy. ;-)
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - Renting one at the moment - Zero
>> I do not understand why there is a digital readout for the fuel and water
>> temp, but it also has a rev counter. If they wanted to save money, why
>> put in a rev counter.

because the digital readout module is common across all renault ranges and is cheaper than a thing with a needle.
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - Renting one at the moment - RattleandSmoke
Its a shame because I hoped they would be good cars. I can't see them ever selling the UK though, there is too much snobbery. I met up with my uni mates last night told them I had bought a Panda and the reponse was "why did you buy one of them **** boxes". The joke is the woman that said that drives a 5 year old Corsa 1.2 16v and I won't be giving her lifts when her camshaft snaps.

This why Lada/Dacia etc would find too hard to find a market in the UK.
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - Renting one at the moment - Fenlander
>>>I can't see them ever selling the UK though, there is too much snobbery

Never confuse snobbery with a decision to avoid a carp car :-)
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - Renting one at the moment - RattleandSmoke
But even if the car was very good I doubt they would sell well. However if they are cheap enough and I mean 6k they might have a trick up their sleeves.

When the Lada Riva was on sale it was about 2/3 the price of a poverty spec Fiesta but had more than twice the features. The Dacia Logan would need to come with electric windows, aircon, PAS, central locking, CD, MP3, EPS etc and cost £5995, then it would fly out of the show rooms no matter how crap it was.
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - Renting one at the moment - mattbod
Hmmm quite a damning report and surprising because the Diesel wagon I passengered in didn't feel too bad tbh. As to the Panda,i would not call it a **** box. It is probably the best cat FIAT has made in the last few years in my opinion.
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - Renting one at the moment - tyro
"It is probably the best cat FIAT has made in the last few years in my opinion."

I knew that the Panda was not, technically speaking, a bear - but I'm pretty sure it's not a cat either.

By the way, thanks to Espada III for posting that. I had wondered what the Logan MCV was actually like.
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - Renting one at the moment - Bellboy
the logan is a low rent car
that was why it was born
and will one day take over the world-----------
nurse.................................................................
....................................nurse.....................
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - Renting one at the moment - Boxsterboy
I was surprised at how well the Dacias are selling in France, but then I remembered that outside of Paris they are still a land of peasants, where cheapness is far more important than a badge.
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - Renting one at the moment - Mike Hannon
I wouldn't totally disagree with that...
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - Renting one at the moment - Ian (Cape Town)
The carhire mobs have bought a multitude here, with some upcoming event in mind, and I drove one in hi-altitude Johannesburg recently.
Gutless, even with one person in it - god knows what it'll be like with three passengers and luggage! - very noisy, lack of power steering is a pain in the arms, and very cheap and tacky feel.
so how cheap are these sheds?
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - Renting one at the moment - Collos
You can buy one for around 6000 euros for a petrol and a little more the diesel in Germany but most people go for the Sondero which isn't a bad little shopping trolley.
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - Renting one at the moment - Runfer D'Hills
>> so how cheap are these sheds?

You'd be better off keeping your Mitsubishi.
I have no intention of moving the Mitsi on. Its all paid for, and I am starting to realise its actually a civilised piece of kit that does all thats required of it in an understated and easy way. Its never caused me to say "damn I wish I had my xxxx back" Its only vice is that sometimes I wish it had more horsepower. I am even begining to appreciate its anonymous looks. As a friend of mine said "I never even knew this car existed"
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - Renting one at the moment - hobby
>> I was surprised at how well the Dacias are selling in France, but then I
>> remembered that outside of Paris they are still a land of peasants, where cheapness is
>> far more important than a badge.
>>

Rather like the UK then... look at some of the "gems" that have sold in reasonable quantities over here... or perhaps its just because people actually regard it as a means of transport and so long as it gets them from A to B then to h**l with the style!
Well the Duster has got four stars from Autocar and CAR Magazine and James May in the Telegraphis is impressed too although they were testing the 86bhp 1.5 dci. I wouldn't critisise the Dacia only for being gutless. I had a new Megane Privilege on 24 hr test and that £17k car was gutless too in my book but I have been running a Diesel with 230 lb ft for the past five years!
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - Renting one at the moment - Iffy
The latest Dacia Duster gets a good review from James May in the Telegraph.

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/columnists/jamesmay/7745619/At-last-the-technically-acceptable-budget-car.html
The Megane I refer to above was a 1.6 115 bhp.
Latest Forum Posts