Motoring Discussion > Would you skip the 13 reg ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 62

Would you skip the 13 reg ? - hawkeye
www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/285994/superstitious_buyers_can_skip_13reg.html

If you're superstitious you can have a 62 reg car instead of a 13 reg car, apparently.

Would you?

Might a 13 reg car have a lower resale value?

What do you think?

Have you banged your head on any ladders recently while looking for your rabbit's foot ?
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - Manatee
Shirley it will be the 62 that's worth less, as it appears older?

I suppose there'll be the complication also of sellers claiming their 62 is really a 13 when it might not be.

13 wouldn't bother me.
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - Clk Sec
>> 13 wouldn't bother me.

It's tempting fate, Manatee. Not to be touched with a barge pole.

Would you walk under a ladder?
:)
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Tue 19 Feb 13 at 19:15
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - Slidingpillar
Common sense not to walk under a ladder, nothing to do with superstition. After all, do you want a pot of paint on you, or a spanner on the noggin?
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - Avant
"Common sense not to walk under a ladder, nothing to do with superstition. After all, do you want a pot of paint on you, or a spanner on the noggin?"

Walk under a ladder - almost certainly you emerge unscathed.

Walk round a ladder....

Trip in the gutter.
Get run over by a motorbike.
The painter, startled, drops the pot of paint on to your recumbent form.
>>Walk under a ladder - almost certainly you emerge unscathed.

Possibly, but for how long?
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - Runfer D'Hills
I'm absolutely not superstitious. Utter nonsense isn't it?

But I'd not want a 13 reg and of course, ( doesn't everyone?) I always say good morning to magpies...

:-)
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - CGNorwich
Should be see as an opportunity. Think what bargains there will be in 13 reg green cars.
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - Meldrew
Walking under a ladder involves a small risk of having something fall on one. 1 and 3 are two digits signifying nothing. Are people born on 13th in some way unlucky? If it comes up as a lottery number is that lucky or not? We Leos don't go for this superstition Carp!
Last edited by: Meldrew on Tue 19 Feb 13 at 19:41
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - henry k
Many years ago we were interested in buying a certain house but it was only after the sale failed did SWMBO raise her relief as it was no 13

>>Are people born on 13th in some way unlucky?

Much later our daughter was born on the 13th. She has been very lucky but SWMBO seems to ignore that as not being the same unlucky 13 :-((
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - Dog
I'm björn on the 13th, and even bought an owse numbered 13, so it wouldn't bovver me in the least.
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - Dutchie
Wouldn't bother me either lucky 13.
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - henry k
SWMBOs boss many years ago rejected her new car because the digits on te number plate added up to 13. She got it changed by the dealer and then accepted it.
(It did not seem to matter that it started life as adding up to 13. Go figure!)
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - Meldrew
"Gigi Buffon however got into trouble for his No. selection. At the beginning of the 2000 season, he bizarrely decided to switch to No. 88 from No. 1. Apparently this move caused a huge rage in Italian Jewish community. They pointed out that 88 is a neo-Nazi symbol as “H” is the eighth letter of the alphabet, so 88 equates to HH, or Heil Hitler."

How B stupid is that line of thought - I won't describe it as reasoning 'cos it isn't!
>>They pointed out that 88 is a neo-Nazi symbol as “H” is the eighth letter of the alphabet, so 88 equates to HH, or Heil Hitler."<<

That's right - I'm ex Combat 18.
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - mikeyb
The Volvo goes back in November so I'm hoping desperate dealers will have pre reg'd a stack of 13's and be sat on piles of stock to shift :-)
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - madf
I am waiting for the 31s to come...
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - Bromptonaut
The Lad was born on 13th and it's done him no harm.

I'll wait for 13 reg cars to be two years old and see if reg depresses price at all.

If so snap up a bargain.
>>The Lad was born on 13th and it's done him no harm

So was Boy.

Hard to say whether it's done him any harm;-)
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - IJWS14
I would, Nothing about me being superstitious but for exactly the same reason I would not buy an unfashionable colour . . . . .

You want to get a reasonable price when you sell it and why exclude the group of superstitious buyers. . .
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - -
Number 13 wouldn't bother me in the least.

However do not see the point in tempting the unknown and best avoided, so wouldn't touch a vehicle with reg or chassis number including the mark of the beast, though some pay a premium to own those reg's.
>>so wouldn't touch a vehicle with reg or chassis number including the mark of the beast<<

Give us a nudge if one turns up gord, I might be interested.

Would you skip the 13 reg ? - madf
I've got 888 - my age..!
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - Roger.
I quite fancy a 69!
>>I quite fancy a 69!<<

You stick to your blimmin Humax, Dodger, and anyway, you should be listening to:

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio/bbc_radio_five_live/listenlive
>> Give us a nudge if one turns up gord, I might be interested.

Can you see the sign of the cross i'm making at you D..;)

Once in a while i'd spot that combination in chassis numbers of cars i carried, always glad to get rid of 'em, its ingrained enough now that i automatically check chassis numbers with a potential car before buying.

Once had ?666DIE pull out in front of me on the M6, i kept well away.
Think about though gord, we waited with bated breath for the millennium bug.

Then stocked up with b/beans with sausages while 21.12.12 came and went.

The American flag has 13 stripes in honour of the first 13 colonies.

In Judaism, 13 signifies the age at which a boy matures and becomes a Bar Mitzvah.

In rugby league each side has 13 players on the field at any given time.

So no, I don't suffer from Triskaidekaphobia or Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia ;)
You have to remember D, i'm a lapsed Catholic and have the guilt of the ages on me shoulders, so avoid evil or its mark like the plague.
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - Zero
My car just recently clocked up 66,666 miles. Nothing happened.

I doubt I'l get it to double devil tho, 666,666
>> I doubt I'l get it to double devil tho, 666,666
>>

Got a pic on my old phone when previous lorry hit that mark.
>>Got a pic on my old phone when previous lorry hit that mark<<

"so avoid evil or its mark like the plague"

>> >> I doubt I'l get it to double devil tho, 666,666
>> >>
>>
>> Got a pic on my old phone when previous lorry hit that mark.

And you and the lorry survived.
Yeah good point, could i blow that pic up pin it in me windscreen and use it to clear a path of devastation through the traffic like the nazis hoped from the Holy Grail till Indiana Jones beat them orf?
This ones for you Mr bennet (the plate NOT the car)

www.carreg.co.uk/search-buy/number-plate-preview/?arg1=10914&arg2=666_B&arg3=9700
aaarrrrggghhh!

You couldn't pay me enough.
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - movilogo
Most people don't care about 13 reg. So I don't think 13 reg cars will be very cheap.

>>You couldn't pay me enough<<

I think the idea is that you pay them.

>> I think the idea is that you pay them.

Thats the bit that worries me, who does one pay and when.
>>who does one pay and when<<

Probably St Peter @ The Pearly Gates (if one chose THAT number)
>> Probably St Peter @ The Pearly Gates (if one chose THAT number)
>>

Hmm thats optimistic, running round advertising for the other bod might see one being dragged through lucifers red hot razor wire gates by the hellcats instead, i'll carry on without those numbers ta..;)
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - hawkeye
>> My car just recently clocked up 66,666 miles. Nothing happened.
>>
>> I doubt I'l get it to double devil tho, 666,666
>>

It might if it had a half-decent mechanic looking after it.

:)
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - Bill Payer
I think the whole date prefix thing should be dropped - it doesn't seem to do anybody any good these days.
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - neiltoo
>> I think the whole date prefix thing should be dropped

Can't, it's an EU requirement.

(cue rants about Ukip!)
>> >> I think the whole date prefix thing should be dropped
>>
>> Can't, it's an EU requirement.
>>

Teally? I thought dated plates where pretty (if not totally) unique to the UK.
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - neiltoo
So I am led to believe.
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - PeterS
AFAIK Ireland is the only other EU country to have a year identifier in its car registration numbers. More sensible than ours though!

I wasn't aware if any plans to force it on other countries - if they do then ours will have to change too - it must seem bonkers to the Germans that a car registered in 2013 in the UK is either a '62, '13 or '63 registration. But that a '62 might have been registered in 2012 and a '63 could be registered in 2014. Not only that, pre 2010 6x didn't exist at all, but was 5x, and you can't have an '01 registration plate!!
Does anyone, or to qualify it, anyone whose opinion you have the slightest respect for, even notice registration numbers anymore other than to have some basic notion that the front ones are white and the back ones are yellow?
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - Dave_
>> Does anyone ...even notice registration numbers anymore

The new car I delivered to its owner on Sept 1st last year had a prat plate (N30 xxx). Being a nondescript Audi A4 you wouldn't have known it was a brand spanker...

The driver of the BMW I took out on Sept 3rd was pleasantly surprised when I pointed out that his new 62 registration number would turn a few heads as it had only been on issue for two days, it really hadn't occurred to him.

We're booked solid for 13 plate deliveries for the first two weeks of March already.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Fri 22 Feb 13 at 21:58
>> The new car I delivered to its owner on Sept 1st last year had a
>> prat plate (N30 xxx). Being a nondescript Audi A4 you wouldn't have known it was
>> a brand spanker...
>>
My BIL and his wife do this. They have meaningless (not their initials or anything) undated plates on their brand-new cars which they lease and change very 3 yrs. They say they don't want anyone to judge them by either 'newness' or otherwise of their cars - yet they happily drive a medium size and a large size SUVs!
>> >> My car just recently clocked up 66,666 miles. Nothing happened.
>> >>
>> >> I doubt I'l get it to double devil tho, 666,666
>> >>
>>
>> It might if it had a half-decent mechanic looking after it.
>>
>> :)

It has, but he'll be dead by then.
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - ....
I would love to buy a 13 reg but it appears the dealers don't want to sell them.

I bought a 12 reg Suzuki GSX-R750 last April and want to trade it for a new Hayabusa, I have contacted the dealer twice and both times they have failed to get back to me.

Claim to be the biggest sellers of Suzuki in their area...Fife.
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - WillDeBeest
I thought of CG's comment on the M40 this afternoon, where I saw my first 13 - on an Octavia estate in vivid beetle green. Looked fantastic, I thought; credit due on both counts.

The 1-3 combination's superficial resemblance to a B offers some creative possibilities for those who like such things. NO13 END, for example, might appeal to someone who lives on a straight road like, er, me.
ON13 LAG would raise a few eyebrows no doubt.

:}
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - Londoner
>> The 1-3 combination's superficial resemblance to a B offers some creative possibilities for those who
>> like such things. NO13 END, for example . . .
Sounds perfect for some "up themselves" managers that I know who drive powerful Audi saloons.
I've been in Italy all week so today was my first outing since the turn of the month on British roads and indeed my first sighting of a "13" plate. Encouragingly enough, in these times of economic privation, it was a black Mercedes C63 ( nutter model ) estate in Liverpool. I had to assume from the way it was "making progress" along Speke Boulevard that the driver must have already run it in, or of course perhaps he'd stolen it...

Would you skip the 13 reg ? - ....
Just stretching its legs officer to help seat the rings and make sure it doesn't turn into an oil burner.
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - L'escargot
>> If you're superstitious you can have a 62 reg car instead of a 13 reg
>> car, ..............

According to Motor Trade News, DVLA have refuted this rumour. www.motortradenews.com/news/automotive-news/29395-dvla-acts-over-13-plate-rumours.html

I'm avoiding having a 13 plate by transferring my current number. I'm doing it so that I won't have to try to remember a new number in "pay and display" carparks.
Is it / will it be a nice new Volvo?
>> I'm avoiding having a 13 plate by transferring my current number. I'm doing it so
>> that I won't have to try to remember a new number in "pay and display"
>> carparks.

Would you skip the 13 reg ? - DP
Can honestly say the presence or otherwise of a 13 plate wouldn't even enter my conscious thought.
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - mikeyb
Only seen 2 so far, a Zafira and a Guilieta, both in the car park at work. Work with lots of Engineers though, and those guys work in fact and statistics!
I've only spotted one so far. A red Honda CR-V parked at the front of a nearby property.
 Would you skip the 13 reg ? - Alastairw
I have seen three. Two Hondas, just out of the local dealer, and my boss has an Audi A6. He is taking a bit of a ribbing about tailgating etc at the moment.
Latest Forum Posts