Motoring Discussion > McLaren - Mr Bean's car has been fixed - almost £1million Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 13

McLaren - Mr Bean's car has been fixed - almost £1million - Falkirk Bairn
www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/classiccars/9854877/Rowan-Atkinsons-McLaren-car-repair-costs-insurers-almost-1-million.html

2nd accident

1) he rear ended a metro 10+ years ago
2) run off the road approaching a roundabout

I hope he has a protected NCB
 McLaren - Mr Bean's car has been fixed - almost £1million - Dave_
As it says in the comments - that's what you have fully comprehensive insurance for. Good luck to him.
 McLaren - Mr Bean's car has been fixed - almost £1million - idle_chatterer
Related but off topic, this car used to drive past my 'front door', it sounded lovely crawling at 5kmh which was typical of the traffic conditions - I wonder how much it cost to fix it....?

tinyurl.com/7hr4c6h
 McLaren - Mr Bean's car has been fixed - almost £1million - Alanovich
Atkinson hit me with his Delta Integrale in about 1987 or so. I was a pedestrian and fortunately for me didn't sustain any injuries. I had stepped out in to Windsor High Street without looking, so it was pretty much my own fault anyway. He had the good manners to wind down his window and call me a "stupid little see-you-next-Tuesday" though, without bothering to check if I was OK. Which I thought was nice of him.
 McLaren - Mr Bean's car has been fixed - almost £1million - Armel Coussine
>> Windsor High Street without looking, so it was pretty much my own fault anyway. He had the good manners to wind down his window and call me a "stupid little see-you-next-Tuesday"

No doubt it was your school uniform he was offended by Alanovic. Were you still in a bum-freezer and wide collar, or had you graduated to tails? You never told us you had gone to school just across the bridge there... Turns out a lot of rabid Marxists and republicans, that place (well, not a lot, but some to my certain knowledge).

I can't imagine why Rowan Atkinson wants to drive about in a McClaren. It's very clearly a horribly impractical thing and he's already driven up a tree in it. He may have some millions but that doesn't sound rich enough to drive about in a thing like that.
 McLaren - Mr Bean's car has been fixed - almost £1million - Boxsterboy
The full story of his McLaren is in this months Classic & Sports Car mag. Reading (in Smiths, naturally) showed the horrific cost of running one of these cars. In 38,000 miles he has had 8 clutches fitted. The cost escapes me, but it was proportionate to the cars current value (£3million).
 McLaren - Mr Bean's car has been fixed - almost £1million - Dutchie
When you have plenty of money you can trow it away.I've never seen him as a comedian.Still he made his money by acting daft you can't beat it.
 McLaren - Mr Bean's car has been fixed - almost £1million - Boxsterboy
The article says they need a service every 5,000 miles or yearly (whichever comes first), and that this costs £20,000 - £40,000. Doesn't give the price of a clutch (of which he's had 8).

So it's a lottery winners car to buy. And then again to own!
 McLaren - Mr Bean's car has been fixed - almost £1million - No FM2R
>>When you have plenty of money you can trow it away

I'm not sure I see enjoying money as "throwing it away".

Good luck to him.
A semi tamed racer on bumpy, potholed roads covered with random mimsers? One assumes R Atkinson is a pretty good pilot and he stuffed his in an inadvertent moment. All that carbon fibre having to be rewoven by skilled dressmakers, Paris ones, charging a million quid for a goddam splintered bodyshell... with a proper car, even an expensive one like a Porsche, a new shell will cost peanuts by comparison.

I wouldn't go so far as to say cars like that should be illegal, far from it indeed. But no sane person would want one.

A semi-tamed racer from the days when cars were cars would be another matter of course. There are a host of candidates. And even the most spectacularly valuable of them - vintage Bugattis for example - wouldn't cost any more than that to run, much less almost certainly, and have a lot of satisfaction and amusement built in without the spivish vainglory. Or so it seems to me.

Obviously everyone in the supercar-owning class should have a suitable Eurobox or Oriental projectile for daily use. Unless they just want to be noticed of course.
I meant to add that what I call proper cars can often be bashed back into approximate shape with big hammers if a new bodyshell sounds a bit dear. Provided the suspension is properly aligned it hardly matters what the external panels look like.

Even in a road car suspension points triangulated with a spaceframe roll cage are achievable at a certain cost in money, ingenuity or both. The roll cage stiffens and straightens the pressed bodyshell. Of course cars like that tend to be draughty and uncomfortable. But you might not mind about that.

:o}
I think the central driving position is naff too.
 McLaren - Mr Bean's car has been fixed - almost £1million - Alanovich
>> No doubt it was your school uniform he was offended by Alanovic. Were you still
>> in a bum-freezer and wide collar, or had you graduated to tails? You never told
>> us you had gone to school just across the bridge there... Turns out a lot
>> of rabid Marxists and republicans, that place (well, not a lot, but some to my
>> certain knowledge).

Ho hum. Yes, I was in school uniform as it goes. The uniform of Windsor Boys' School, a local comprehensive. Anyone who knows the lie of the land around Windsor is well aware that Eton boys are not allowed in to town in their uniforms, but still they are easily identified by the observant local by their Sloaney casual "uniform" (impossibly scruffy whilst still managing to convey a sense of extreme expensiveness) and foppish haircuts. However, Japanese tourists (and, evidently, retired mini cabbers from Sri Lanka) assume that the smartest boys in town in their pristine school uniforms must be the Eton boys, and they've even been known to request photos alongside said uniformed chaps. Such as me.

(P.S. I do expect that you were teasing ;-))
>> you were teasing ;-))

I was starting to worry that you had taken offence.
Latest Forum Posts